• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First PC Graphics Card

IIRC mine was a TNT2 aswell, I remember putting it into my PC which couldn't run 3D games and playing Half Life for the 1st time. Jumping from PS1 to that was mind blowing.

My first was a 4MB Voodoo Dragon, blew my mind at the time

voodoo_dragon_01.JPG

My brothers old computer from about 10 years ago had an AMD All in Wonder 9600 I think. The PC I just built about two months ago has a gtx570.

Arttemis

I had a voodoo! It wasn't even AGP, plain ol' PCI. I'm pretty sure I ran it with an AMD Thunderbird processor. Good times with Dark Forces, Duke Nukem, Tribes

I think my first dedicated GPU was a TNT2.

Lovin' that little guy in the OP. I got a Radeon 9800xt in 2003 (like, the titan of it's day. it had 256gigs of memory) and it was so laughably whimpy looking compared to top of the line cards from today.

Please tell me you got the PowerColor XT model, because those were so easily flashable to higher specs! I remember upgrading to that card and loving how well the original CoD (still my favorite if the series!) ran.

My first video card was a 3DFX Voodoo 3000. I installed it and I was still unable to play the games that I wanted.

Then for the next decade, I relied on my pre-built PCs with either integrated or cheap video cards (x1300 Pro).

Then in 2008, I built a computer with an HD4850. That lasted till I got an HD6850.

Diamond Monster 3D (A 3DFX voodoo card)

this card came in an amazing bundle of games, including 3DFX versions of Descent 2 and Mechwarrior 2 being the stand outs. Best PC bundle ever, omg

I remember games going from unplayable slideshows to buttery smooth 50+fps. Blew my mind back then.

Radeon 9550. First upgrade was to a Radeon X800.

In order after the X800, I went:

7800GTX 512MB
Radeon HD 5770
GTX560

Planning on getting a GTX770 possibly later this year.

Depends. First pre-build system card with real power had a ATI 9800. The first card for the first computer I built myself had an Asus GTX 570 Direct CUII

I remember owning a PC with one of these:

DCP_5617.jpg

The S3 ViRGE PCI card with a whooping 4MB of RAM. Then I upgraded to one of these:

rage_proturbo_flq.jpg

The ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP card with 8MB of RAM! Which I later replaced for one of these:

asusgeforce2gtsbemutatokepeleje.jpg

I still remember the box with the screaming kid.
6601.jpg

Asus Geforce 256 AGP card with 32MB of RAM.

After that I think I had a Geforce 3 card with 64MB of RAM. Followed by a Gigabyte brand Geofrce FX 5600 with 128MB of RAM. The FX card was a piece of garbage though, as it burned out on me months after use, then I bought like an ATi Radeon 9700 Pro think? Which was a killer card for its day.

Dezzy

First card I ever bought was a Riva TNT2 Ultra. It was an awesome upgrade from my ATI Rage.

5wSrH4s.jpg

Kept this one until I got the Voodoo5 5500.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me you got the PowerColor XT model, because those were so easily flashable to higher specs! I remember upgrading to that card and loving how well the original CoD (still my favorite if the series!) ran.

I didn't! It was a reference design. The OG CoD still ran like a dream though, I had my crt set to 1280x1024 and my boomin' logitech subwoofer just shattering all reality at the beginning of the stalingrad mission. I still remember that mission where you're given just the bullets and you go across the water on a boat with planes flying overhead as one of the most immersive moments I've ever experienced.

We are now enemies.
Muahaha. Hey though, you came out on the right side in the end. I still play Quake LIVE and haven't thought about UT in years.

my first card was a 3DFX Voodoo 3, PCI, 12 mb I think. Absolute loved it, as it made jedi knight, half life, and some other misc games I had back then look so much better.

I think I still have the actual card in my closet somewhere, as a momento.

Dat card.

My first pc was custom build... I think i remember the specs.... 16mb vodoo3dfx, pentium 3 700mhz, 128 mb of ram maybe? or 256, can't remember

Atolm

Mine was an ATI Rage Pro...I think I still have it somewhere...from that I jumped to a Radeon 9200 and then a Geforce FX5500. Then I made an new PC build in 2006 with a Geforce 7900GT and a few years later I replaced it with a 8800GT...until now. That PC died a few months ago. Currently I don't own a PC and I don't have plans to buy a new one.

Stitch

Gold Member
Can't remember what was prebuilt into my first PC but it wasn't too good so I bought a Diamond Monster 3D II with 8MB RAM.

Can't remember all the other ones. Had so many that I fried one just for fun with a friend.

35v6

My first card was the Voodoo Banshee
i2hrj5vXohRHW.jpg

I didn't know much about computers back then. Wanted to play Need For Speed 2 and Incoming. Was told I needed a 2D and 3D card.

I couldn't remember my first card until I saw this picture. Now I remember it being the Banshee.

zoku88

My first card was the FX5200. Got it just to play Battleflied 1942.

I think it was like $200 bucks back then...

drexplora

Jeez wasn't expecting so many TNT2's :D
had one myself as a first.

One of my buds was rocking an Nvidia Vanta round the same time :D

My first give a fuck 3d card was the 5870. Damn it was awesome.

Right now I still have a gtx 580 but am currently in a not giving a fuck about pc gaming mode. (Happens at the start of every new console gen)

lord pie

The first 3D card I bought was a first gen creative labs 3D blaster VLB (yes, for a 486).

It kinda worked. It had cutting edge features like stipple alpha, dither texture filtering and supported VGA resolution at 'playable' framerates.

They are actually extremely rare now days, because for some reason they didn't sell too well.... :p

OatmealMu

I only buy graphics cards with pictures of sweet cyber wizards on them. Haven't bought a card in ages. Come back, 1990s. :(

Eternia

My first card I actually paid money for was the Voodoo 3 2000. At that time, it allowed me play games like NHL 2000, NBA Live 2001 and Sim City 3000. That was a lot of gaming from just those games (until Starcraft took over).

I actually have the older version of the 260x right now in the Radeon 7790. I'm running it with a really old CPU which may be limiting the performance though. It's still a decent low powered and quiet budget card.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I sold some bonds that my grandpa gave me when I was born to get the very first Voodoo card. GLQuake was the shiiiitttt

500x500.jpg

lmpaler

my first card was a 3DFX Voodoo 3, PCI, 12 mb I think. Absolute loved it, as it made jedi knight, half life, and some other misc games I had back then look so much better.

I think I still have the actual card in my closet somewhere, as a momento.

ATI Radeon 9800XT in AGP flavor because PCI was balls.

Man I loved it. How far we have come

Kydd BlaZe

GTX 780 was my first graphics card. Got into PC gaming last summer, after longing for it for over 10 years. Finally made it happen, and I couldn't be happier!

Syf

Banned
First one I ordered for myself was a GeForce 3 Ti I believe. Felt like a powerhouse at the time, lol.

sant

When I was little I used to play games on my PC, no idea whether it had dedicated graphics or not though. I recently built a gaming PC, so my first would is a 770.

My first graphics card upgrade was a Voodoo Rush. I didn't know until later that it was a crappy 3D card but what the heck, it let me play all those GLIDE accelerated games like Tomb Raider, Quake et al.

Final Fantasy 7 PC also came out around the same time, and because I didn't have a Playstation, I finally got to play the latest installment of my favourite game franchise (albeit in the worst horrible way ever lol).

My next card would be a Voodoo 3 2000, the best little graphics card ever. I miss 3DFX. Those were crazy times. Anyone remember this awesome gem of an ad?

Top Bottom