• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend believes in Astrology. How can I make him cry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Not horoscopes, but that our base personalities are determined by our signs. He said that reading about what "______ are like" has helped him explain why he is the way that he is. Or, for instance, that _____ are more out-going, but _____ are more conservative.

(I left the signs blank because I couldn't remember which they were)

He doesn't bring it up often at all, but he'll throw something like that into a conversation when he feels it's appropriate.

Has there been a case study such as pitting Scorpios against Virgos and comparing their personalities? Something undeniable that I could use to shut him up?

Or, on the flip side, given that I'm sure we have some astrologists in the audience, maybe someone could provide me with something that proves how it DOES determine who we are to some degree.

You could be all one-sided, and assertive for a long time, and then when he goes "Yeah, you're totally a (insert sign here)" be like:

"OOOH YEAH!!! GOTCHA!! I'M A LIBRA BITCH!!! BOOYA!"

Damn, there's just no outsmarting this guy, is there? Asstrology...

Well, there's only one thing left to do: Slip him a mickey, and then dump his unconscious body in a ditch alongside a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Problem solved.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
how about asserting that the positions of the stars have no conceivable mechanism for determining or influencing human personality. and that he's a bleeding ninny for believing that they do.

should that fail, kick him in the nuts.

AntoneM

Ask him if he thinks man will ever colonize Mars, if he answers yes ask him how he thinks Astrology can work for the people born on Mars. If he answers no, then at least you have a topic of conversation for the night (unless you don't think we will either)

Matlock

Banned
The magnetic fields of the earth and the heavens are different every day. If there's any cycle that repeats (like maybe a yearly round) where conditions are right, they may be able to shape neurons in the formative state.

Socreges

Banned
drohne said:
how about asserting that the positions of the stars have no conceivable mechanism for determining or influencing human personality.
Did that. Because astrology is based on nothing provable or practical, he maintains that he is "spiritual". Which is a little odd, considering that he doesn't believe in God.

max_cool said:
Ask him if he thinks man will ever colonize Mars, if he answers yes ask him how he thinks Astrology can work for the people born on Mars. If he answers no, then at least you have a topic of conversation for the night (unless you don't think we will either)
He'd probably just say: "Well, I suppose that the system would be different then, but still reliable" and that would be that.

Someone, at some point, must have gathered a bunch of people and done a study for this. It would be so easy. Hell, I should do it myself.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Tell him Jesus will sentence him to eternal damnation in hell for believing in astrology.

Breathing fire and levitating when you tell him helps.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Tell him hot Asian women believe in bloodtype, not silly astrology.

Socreges

Banned
http://www.meta-religion.com/Paranormale/Other/is_astrology_real.htm
Last year, Geoffrey Dean, who left astrology to become a scientist in Perth, carried out what is probably the most robust scientific investigation into astrology ever undertaken. He led a study of 2000 people, most born within minutes of one another, and looked at more than 100 different characteristics, ranging from IQ to ability in art and sport, from anxiety levels to sociability and occupation — all of which astrologers claim are influenced by heavenly bodies. He found no evidence of the similarities that astrologers would have predicted.
Despite that, they insist:
The problem for those scientists keen on debunking astrology is that designing an experiment to prove one way or another whether the movement of the planets affects us is practically unachievable.
How convenient! Doesn't change the fact that the study is awfully incriminating.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Oooh, oooh. Show him that episode of South Park with John Edwards.

Crispy

My grandma also believes base personality traits are influenced by your sign, and I'm beginning to believe it too. Many times we'd watch some TV and after a while she says something like: I think he is a *insert sign here*. Later on I would look of his or her beirthdate and what do you know, she was right! Same thing with friends who come over.

Ofcourse there are only twelve signs to choose from, so she has a pretty high chance of getting it right, but still...She's never been wrong up to now.

Simple, just say the following.

"Astrology and the stars eh? That's all well and good but see, the thing is, someday our sun (a star) will expand and destroy the Earth and all of humanity. "

M3Freak

Banned
Astrology is for blood sucking, so called spiritual leaders who use it to live off the poor: forcing them to do this and that, controlling their lives and making the poor believe that the astrologer is somehow divine and all knowing, and therefore they should revere him and give him money, food and gifts.

What I've said above is 100% true. Astrology came from India. Brahmin Hindus are the so called "high caste" that are the astrologers. Very convenient that the "high caste" are the only ones that can be astrologers/predict the future, eh? Very convenient.

Don't believe me? Read Hindu history. Read about the Hindu religion. If God has blessed you with the ability to reason and understand, you'll see what I mean.

Astrology: bullshit!

way more

Say that the sign were based upon the position of the stars thousands of years ago and in the time they've shifted to a degree that renders them obsolete.

3rdman

Could a planet have another effect on a person from so far a distance by something other then gravity? Stand next to him and tell him that at that moment he is experiencing a greater amount of gravity from you than he is from Mars (true, BTW). Then explain to him that people are shaped by their experiences and upbringing.

If that doesn't work, kick him in the nuts.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
-jinx- said:
If he can't postulate a mechanism for causation, then you have every right to tell him he's full of shit.

How so? If there is an observed correlation between two things, particularly if it can be experimentally verified, not knowing what causes it isn't a sign of being full of shit. There are plenty of cases in the past of a phenomenon being extremely useful without an accurate explanation of why it happens.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Oh, and after you've kicked him in the nuts, tell him that it wasn't your fault, and you can't be blamed. It's just that Mars is in Uranus.

Dilbert

iapetus said:
How so? If there is an observed correlation between two things, particularly if it can be experimentally verified, not knowing what causes it isn't a sign of being full of shit. There are plenty of cases in the past of a phenomenon being extremely useful without an accurate explanation of why it happens.
Oh, absolutely. I was reacting to his "spiritual" explanation. I'd love to hear how that worked. :)

Chopped_Onions.jpg

The magnetic fields of the earth and the heavens are different every day. If there's any cycle that repeats (like maybe a yearly round) where conditions are right, they may be able to shape neurons in the formative state.
*head explodes*

Phoenix

Just keep pointing at him and laughinig. Then tell all your friends to do the same. That should make him cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom