• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My grandmother has stage-4 lung cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

I just got word that my grandmother has stage-4 lung cancer. She went in for a physical a few months back in order to see if she could work in my parents' new care home facility, and after running some tests the doctors found some malignant lung cancer. They have recently found that it has since metastasized to other parts of her body. She's only smoked maybe 10 times in her life, but she grew up in Indonesia where smoking is still the norm. I suspect second-hand smoking might have played a key role.

Nevertheless, she's in her mid-70's but is as vibrant and healthy looking as ever. Her mind is still active and she just seems so alive. It's...hard for me to believe.

I'm not ignorant about these matters however. I myself am currently applying to medical school as some gaffers may know so cancer is something that I've reviewed plenty of times while in undergrad. I also know that the odds for her survival over the next five years aren't good, with the renowned Mayo Clinic stating:

The five-year survival rate for people diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer that has spread (metastasized) to other areas of the body is 4 percent.

She's my last living grandparent and I am incredibly close to her. I feel like I'm on the brink of tears but for some reason cannot cry. She's still with us, so it almost feels like I can just ignore this news and life can keep going just the way it was. I've had loved ones die before, but I have grown up incredibly close to my grandmother that I just don't know what to do. If you're religious, please pray for her as I have been every day.

Fuck cancer.

Nephtis

My mom is currently fighting a 3rd occurence of breast cancer. Thankfully this one and the last one she had were all caught in situ (stage 0).

While prognosis doesn't look good for your grandma, remember that stage IV isn't what it used to mean 10 years ago, let alone 20. We have come a long way. Don't give up, talk to everyone that will be willing to listen to see what can be done to fight this. Make sure to be there for your grandma - you guys will need to be her pillar of strength.

mrkgoo

My best wishes go out to you and your family.

Keep in mind, she has not passed away yet. The only difference is that you have a different probability that it will be sooner than expected. There aren't any certainties.

It may have been her time all the same without the cancer. The fact that you know can be used to strengthen your remains time together.

We all die, and it can happen unexpectedly at any time for anyone.

I'm sorry, OP. My Mom dealt with lung cancer, which later metastasized, and may have had another tumor when she passed.

I miss her dearly, and it's awful.

shira

I suspect second-hand smoking might have played a key role.

Well yeah.

Arghhh. This pisses me off so much. You live your life fairly cleanly and boom 2nd hand cancer.
I would have so many questions and be constatly rethinking my decisions in life

Xirj

Sorry to hear this OP. While the diagnosis is devastating, know that there are a lot more options than there used to be. As you are somewhat versed in the area, please do look into the new treatments available.

The newest progress has been in immuno oncology (IO) and there are a variety of therapies available based on type of lung cancer, sclc, nsclc, etc. These might not be available in a first line setting but there is also promise of combination therapies (IO + IO, IO + chemo). Look into clinicaltrials.gov for those as both first and second line.

Fuck cancer bro. I lost my grandmother to lung cancer a couple years ago and she and I were very close, she used to clown me all the time and it was great. I couldn't stand to watch her deteriorate though, absolutely heart wrenching.

Enjoy your time with her now, see her as much as you can, it doesn't have to be a means to an end until its the very end (praying there's a sliver of hope regardless with treatment) don't let cancer destroy your relationship with her, but don't let it fool you either.

KZObsessed

My grandfather is currently terminal. He's had a few skin cancers removed from the side of his face and ear. Few months after operation he was having trouble with his ear. Pain and hearing loss. Had to go back to GP about 4 times before they sent him for a scan. It had spread down his face through the lymph system. He's had radiotherapy but since been told it had spread to lungs. He'd been having double vision so it's probably spread to his brain now.

He's 89, so he's had a long life. He was actually in Japan when the nukes dropped. He's trying to make it to the end of the year but he's deteriorating fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom