• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My granpda got paralyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy

Banned
I guess this morning 'something happened' and he broke his neck. He's 85 years old, and he used to work for the FBI in South America fighting the communists. :(

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Must really suck. Im always really protective about my neck and spine. One of my biggest fear is getting paralyed.

I dunno if this is the right place to post it....

I woke up one morning, and couldnt feel or move my arms. I went to sleep, and apparently applied to much pressure to them while asleep, cutting off blood circulation. Feeling came back within 10 minutes of me getting up, but I was freaked out.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I woke up one morning, and couldnt feel or move my arms. I went to sleep, and apparently applied to much pressure to them while asleep, cutting off blood circulation. Feeling came back within 10 minutes of me getting up, but I was freaked out.

This happens to me every week :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Sorry to hear that man.

Dr.Guru of Peru said:

That could actually be a problem, depending on how badly you cut off the circulation. you could well be releasing poisoned blood back into your body. In fact, nowadays you're not meant to use a tourniquet at all to stop bleeding (use pressure points if anyone's interested) and, if you have and you can't tell a doctor how long it's been tied on, chances are the limb will be amuptated just to avoid poisoned blood getting back into your system.

Mama Smurf

I can't remember, it's been a while since I did the course. Possibly something to do with it not getting oxygenated.

andthebeatgoeson

Mama Smurf said:
Sorry to hear that man.

That could actually be a problem, depending on how badly you cut off the circulation. you could well be releasing poisoned blood back into your body. In fact, nowadays you're not meant to use a tourniquet at all to stop bleeding (use pressure points if anyone's interested) and, if you have and you can't tell a doctor how long it's been tied on, chances are the limb will be amuptated just to avoid poisoned blood getting back into your system.

What kinda of vodoo are ya speakin son? You're not supposed to use a tourniquet cuz it cuts off the blood supply to the surrounding tissue causing dead tissue. Pressure is used cuz it does the same thing w/o the necrosis.

Mama Smurf

- Incorrect materials or application, which increases the damage and bleeding. If narrow materials are used or the tourniquet is too tight, nerves, blood vessels, and muscles may be damaged.

- Damage to the limb from a tourniquet. Survival of a limb is almost never possible after a correctly applied tourniquet is left in place too long. Only a physician should remove a tourniquet. If you apply a tourniquet, leave it in plain sight (don’t bandage over it), and attach an adhesive label to the victim’s forehead stating the time the tourniquet was applied.

Copied from some medical operations thing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wolfy said:
I guess this morning 'something happened' and he broke his neck. He's 85 years old, and he used to work for the FBI in South America fighting the communists. :(
Maybe I'm an ass for asking right now (sucks about what happened), but what was the FBI doing in South America? The FBI works domestically. Fighting communists on another continent is outside the Bureau's jurisdiction, isn't it?

Sorry, I'm an ass. :(

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Dr.Guru of Peru said:

Could've been sleep paralysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom