• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My laundry stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

XS+

Banned
WTF. I put my clothes through the washer and dryer, and now they smell like I washed them in a sewer. I put the load through the washer again (twice as much detergent this time) and it's still foul. Has this happened to anybody before? Anyway I can get the smell out or do have to burn my clothes?

XS+

Banned
It's EX-Shin-Evil-God-Ken-Jennings B.O.
Did you leave them in after the wash for too long?
I put them in the wash and went out to do some errands before putting them in the dryer, yeah.

Seth C

Always try to move laundry from the washer to the dryer as promptly as possible. In my experience, it can become mildewed in as little as a day, possibly less. That sounds like the smell you're describing. It will probably take 3-4 washing to get it out. Use bleach if you can.

nah, shouldn't take 3-4 washings. i've washed some beach towels before, forgot about them, and came back to the washer later in the day and they stunk like straight ass. so i just washed them again right away and threw them in the dryer as soon as it was done the 2nd time and it solved the problem

B'z-chan

Banned
Oxy clean and some smelling dryer towel things should help.

Heres a question why do they make fruity smells? We need a man smell on our clothing not some april fresh shit.

I had some problems with my washer a while back and I remember reading some message boards where people told stories of their washer leaking into it self and causing a stinky build-up, animals that crawled into their machine and then died, hard water build-up and problems caused by their septic tank. I can't remember the websites but just do a search on google.

aoi tsuki

Definitely sounds like they sat in the washer too long after a wash. Usually takes a day or two, but it's happened to me in less than one. Grab a big box of baking soda and toss a half cup into the rinse cycle of your wash. Wouldn't recommend drying until the funk is out.

XS+

Banned
I emptied a bottle of antibacterial disinfectant all-purpose cleaner into the washer machine with my stinky laundry. Will that destroy the odor and solve my problem? Stay tuned!

Seth C

miyuru said:
Yeah, maybe after putting them in the dryer, the smell will come out even more.

Drying them will make t hem smell okay initially, but watch out as soon as they get wet again, the stink will come right back. It really will takre a few good washes.

What's most likey causing them to stink is bacteria in the material. Try washing with hot water if the clothes can take it. The chlorine in regular bleach would work, but yes, it would damage colored clothes. Try some non-chlorine, color safe bleach. It might help. And definitely move from the washer to dryer as soon as possible, especially if the humidity in the air is high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom