• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS2 died

8bit

Knows the Score
Unmodded, 2 months old.
The only things that it's been used for was Maximo - Army of Zin, Bombastic and GTA - SA(installed and played from the HDD).
Now it won't recognise any disc. Is this sort of thing common, or did I get an especially bad console?

ninge

while failuere is not uncommon with any electronic device (there are arguments both ways as to the durability of the ps2) you just got unlucky with this - take it back and change it for a new one.

oh, and +1 worldwide sales :)

luxsol

Wow, usually they die out just a couple days after the warranty expires. =P
PS2s have a 90 day warrenty, right?

Time to return it!

Anyway... what does (or doesn't) it do when you put the game in and try to play?

8bit

Knows the Score
It doesn't do anything, goes straight to the Browser/System Config screen.
Any disc I put in remains inert, not even spinning up.

Oh, and it's a year return warranty here, my only problem is having to describe the issue in broken German.

luxsol said:
Wow, usually they die out just a couple days after the warranty expires. =P
PS2s have a 90 day warrenty, right?
Time to return it!

Anyway... what does (or doesn't) it do when you put the game in and try to play?

whaaaaat?
only 90 days?
in sweden its a must to have at least 1 year but common practice to have 2 years...i couldn't imagine bying something with a 90 day warranty...

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
jakershaker said:
whaaaaat?
only 90 days?
in sweden its a must to have at least 1 year but common practice to have 2 years...i couldn't imagine bying something with a 90 day warranty...

Yep In Australia it's one year

Cimarron

America teh sucks! Don't feel bad My friggin x-box decided to die on me and now I can never load any multiplay maps on halo 2 and I can barely play campaign mode... :(

Chi-Town

Something else that sucks...he has the hard drive. If 8bit exchanges the broken PS2, the new models don't support it.

ninge

yeah that does suck - maybe you can get an old ps2 still? or alternately get sony to repair it and insist you don't want a new model as you require HDD support.

8bit

Knows the Score
I don't really anticipate a problem unless they've liquidated their stock in favour of the new model. It's one of the biggest retailers here, and they had a load of stock last time I was in the store(3 weeks ago or so). It's a Silver model, so I think I can argue the point for that without going into the HDD stuff.

It's just frustrating as it's the first console I've ever had with such a problem so early in it's lifetime. I had a dodgy Dreamcast, but that was after 2 1/2 years and it took a quick clean of the power connectors to sort that out.

Also, I'm pissed off because I was psyched up to complete pilot school today.

SaitoH

8bit said:
Unmodded, 2 months old.
The only things that it's been used for was Maximo - Army of Zin, Bombastic and GTA - SA(installed and played from the HDD).
Now it won't recognise any disc. Is this sort of thing common, or did I get an especially bad console?

Disc read errors are generally caused by dust on the laser and spindle. I've cleaned a lot of PS2s and have an extremely high success rate.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jakershaker said:
whaaaaat?
only 90 days?

Actually, it's 2 years according to Swedish law, unless they changed that recently.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Retailers were told to send the old PS2 models back to Sony IIRC.

Top Bottom