• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My week long Kenshin kick has ended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... And I've exhausted a lot of what the series offers and have been extremely impressed. I had previously watched the first 2 OVA's and the Tokyo arc, and wasn't that impressed with the series. Of course, stupid me stops right when it goes from "decent" to "awesomely-kick-ass." I restarted the series (since I had seen the Tokyo stuff like a couple years ago) skipping some of the more filler episodes, and went through all the way to the end of Kyoto, finishing with all the OVA's. Awesome.

A couple questions:
- How bad is the stuff that follows Kyoto? Should I invest in the Meiji box or not?
- Is the guy that kills the traitor in the last prequel OVA Shishio?
- Why the hell is Sanosuke wandering around China?

Heh, yeah I'm looking for another long series to watch, but school starts in a couple weeks and I'm not gonna have ANY time then.

Maybe I should start in on Inuyasha.

IAmtheFMan said:
... And I've exhausted a lot of what the series offers and have been extremely impressed. I had previously watched the first 2 OVA's and the Tokyo arc, and wasn't that impressed with the series. Of course, stupid me stops right when it goes from "decent" to "awesomely-kick-ass." I restarted the series (since I had seen the Tokyo stuff like a couple years ago) skipping some of the more filler episodes, and went through all the way to the end of Kyoto, finishing with all the OVA's. Awesome.

A couple questions:
- How bad is the stuff that follows Kyoto? Should I invest in the Meiji box or not?
- Is the guy that kills the traitor in the last prequel OVA Shishio?
- Why the hell is Sanosuke wandering around China?

1) The stuff that follow's Kyoto is a mixed bag, as nothing from it quite captures the high from the previous arc. There are a few good episodes though, two of which are my favorite episodes of the series.

2)I honestly think it was.

3) Near the end of the manga
Sano leaves after an apparent shocker that has left Kenshin in shock and wasting away in a rundown village. In his travels he is reunited with his father and family(though his siblings don't recognize him), and helps his dad out with his problems. Turns out the man behind it is that fat ass politician from the Jin E arc(the one Sano and Kenshin protected when Jin E was going to kill him). IIRC Sano beat the shit outta him and left. Wanting revenge, the crooked politician puts up wanted signs for him saying he is a dangerous criminal and is to be caught by all costs. Finding this out in the last volume he leaves after his lasts goodbye's to Kenshin and says he wants to see the world.

Hmmm... getting Meiji is pretty tempting...

So is the stuff that happens in Reflections considered canon? Obviously aside from the flashbacks, but what happens to Kaoru and Kenshin and their kid.

IAmtheFMan said:
Hmmm... getting Meiji is pretty tempting...

So is the stuff that happens in Reflections considered canon? Obviously aside from the flashbacks, but what happens to Kaoru and Kenshin and their kid.

Well, it breaks down like this:

1. Definitely not the same ending as the manga in any way, shape or form, but most of the episodes after the Kyoto arc fail at the same thing.

2. The final anime episode was not only rushed and odd, but was never aired.

3. ADV paid for the OVA team to make the Reflections finale.

So from a very slim advantage, Reflections is anime canon, but not manga canon, and to be quite honest with you, once you've seen the Kyoto arc, you would be far better off to just start buying the manga anyways (volumes of which will be coming out on a monthly basis soon).

FnordChan

IAmtheFMan said:

Pretty fucking bad. If you must watch it, for the love of all that is holy, don't actually pay money to do so.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom