• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N.K. Jemisin’s ‘The Fifth Season’ Book To Be Developed As TV Series At TNT

N.K. Jemisin's Hugo Award-winning sci-fi fantasy novel The Fifth Season is getting the drama series treatment at TNT. The project is in early development at the cable network with Leigh Dana Jackson (24: Legacy, Sleepy Hollow) set to pen the adaptation and Imperative Entertainment's (All the Money in the World) Dan Friedkin, Tim Kring and Justin Levy serving as executive producers.

Jackson brought the novel, the first in a three-book series, to Imperative, which secured the rights before the The Fifth Season‘s Hugo nomination. Jemisin went on to become the first black writer to win the Hugo Award for best novel. She followed that up last week by winning the prestigious science fiction award for the second consecutive year for the second book in the series, The Obelisk Gate. The third book was published Tuesday.

The Fifth Season is described as an epic drama set in a world where civilization-destroying earthquakes occur with deadly regularity. A small minority of inhabitants has the ability to quiet these earthquakes, but they also can cause them. The series follows three women, each of whom possesses these special, Earth-controlling abilities: Damaya, a young girl training to serve the Empire; Syenite, an ambitious young woman ordered to breed with her bitter and frighteningly powerful mentor; and Essun, a mother searching for the husband who murdered her young son and kidnapped her daughter mere hours after a Season tore a fiery rift across the land.

Jackson worked as a supervising producer a on 24:Legacy and as a producer on Sleepy Hollow. Other series credits include Helix, The Tomorrow People and 666 Park Avenue. He's repped by WME, Gotham Group and Bloom Hergott.

In addition to winning two Hugo Awards for The Fifth Season series, Jemisin also won the Locus Award for her first novel, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, and her short fiction and novels have been nominated multiple times for Hugo, World Fantasy, Nebula, and RT Reviewers' Choice awards. Jemisin is repped by Sean Daily at Hotchkiss & Associates.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/nk-jemisin-the-fifth-season-book-developed-tv-series-tnt-1202150542/

19161852.jpg

Great book, enjoyed reading it. I don't think TNT is the right network for an TV show adaptation

2 Years ago the new TNT/TBS boss Kevin Reilly had promised to overhaul TNT's original drama offerings in an effort to bring more provocative and edgy material to the cabler known for its procedural hits.

That started when TNT made a hefty series commitment to Paramount TV's adaptation of Caleb Carr's novel ”The Alienist," spearheaded by ”True Detective's" Cary Fukunaga and screenwriters Eric Roth and Hossein Amini.

TNT is said to have made a whopping $5 million-an-episode deal for the eight-part series, a clear signal to the industry that TNT is ready to spend big for glossy properties.

I can only imagine this deal is an extension of TNT's overhaul and commitment to spending big bucks for their television adaptations.

Hmm, not really familiar with TNT's output but this is my favourite of her series so far. Seems like it would require a lot of effects though which may not translate well to the small screen.

Eidan

Goddammit. I was literally JUST about to start this series. Now I have to hurry so I can be ahead of the bandwagon and ready to be an obnoxious book purist by the series premiere.

kswiston

What type of content does TNT allow on their network? The Fifth Season had some unconventional relationships described in fairly explicit detail.

They are also going to have to abandon the framing of the novel, since it doesnt work in film form.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What type of content does TNT allow on their network? The Fifth Season had some unconventional relationships described in fairly explicit detail.

Claws (which everyone needs to be watching) had some pretty graphic sexual situations - probably the most explicit I've seen on basic cable (FX, AMC, etc.). Still no genitals/nipples though.

When asked on twitter her involvement in the series, NK Jemisin responded, "I'm advising, but that's about it. I don't know much about TV/film production anyway, so. Thanks!"

Also the third and concluding book of this series came out yesterday, The Stone Sky.

2 Years ago the new TNT/TBS boss Kevin Reilly had promised to overhaul TNT’s original drama offerings in an effort to bring more provocative and edgy material to the cabler known for its procedural hits.

That started when TNT made a hefty series commitment to Paramount TV’s adaptation of Caleb Carr’s novel “The Alienist,” spearheaded by “True Detective’s” Cary Fukunaga and screenwriters Eric Roth and Hossein Amini.

TNT is said to have made a whopping $5 million-an-episode deal for the eight-part series, a clear signal to the industry that TNT is ready to spend big for glossy properties.

I can only imagine this deal is an extension of TNT's overhaul and commitment to spending big bucks for their television adaptations.

Word, I'm still on the side of doubt. We'll see

kswiston

When asked on twitter her involvement in the series, NK Jemisin responded, "I'm advising, but that's about it. I don't know much about TV/film production anyway, so. Thanks!"

Also the third and concluding book of this series came out yesterday, The Stone Sky.

Have you read any of the series? I have to pick up the second book at some poinr, but the first was quite good.

Anyone looking for a fantasy series that doesn't follow a well worn path, or try to deconstruct said path, should check it out.

Have you read any of the series? I have to pick up the second book at some poinr, but the first was quite good.

Anyone looking for a fantasy series that doesn't follow a well worn path, or try to deconstruct said path, should check it out.

I've read her Inheritance trilogy and just started her Dreamblood series. I plan on reading this Broken Earth trilogy next.

kswiston

I've read her Inheritance trilogy and just started her Dreamblood series. I plan on reading this Broken Earth trilogy next.

The inheritance trilogy is always cheap on Kindle, so I should grab it at one point.

I know that NK Jemisin was struggling to make writing pay enough to be her day job, despite a lot of acclaim. Hopefully this deal is the end of that.

The inheritance trilogy is always cheap on Kindle, so I should grab it at one point.

I know that NK Jemisin was struggling to make writing pay enough to be her day job, despite a lot of acclaim. Hopefully this deal is the end of that.

Last year she got on Patreon where she was looking for 3,000 month so she could quit her day job and have enough to sustain herself so she could write full time. Her Patreon was immediately successful and she makes close to 6000 a month now and she quit her job in July of last year.

https://www.patreon.com/nkjemisin

kswiston

Last year she got on Patreon where she was looking for 3,000 month so she could quit her day job and have enough to sustain herself so she could write full time. Her Patreon was immediately successful and she makes close to 6000 a month now and she quit her job in July of last year.

https://www.patreon.com/nkjemisin

That's good to hear.

Hopefully her novel sales pick up with this series, and the Patreon will become a nice little side gig instead of her main source of cash.

I read most or all of her first book in the Hundred Kingdom series, and while I really enjoyed quite a few aspects of the city and world building, I felt it kind of devolved into a romance novel halfway through. I was afraid at the time I had been tricked into reading the next Twilight. How does this series and her other novels progress? Am I wrong in my assessment? (I'm wondering if I should give it another try)

I see NK Jemisin answered more questions on her Twitter.

"How long have you known?" Since before THE FIFTH SEASON's Hugo! Over a year! I thought I was gonna die holding the news in! :D

"What's your dream cast?" I don't have one! As many of y'all know, I don't watch much TV/film; don't know who all the cool actors are, etc.

"How do you know they're not gonna fuck this up?" I don't! Contrary to popular belief, SFF authors cannot *actually* predict the future!+

However, I have a lot of faith in the ppl involved, or I wouldn't have chosen to sell rights. So let's wait & see, shall we?

"When is it coming out who's going to star as Essun will it be a movie will there be action figuresaaarrrglebargle" ::patpat:: There, there.

I read most or all of her first book in the Hundred Kingdom series, and while I really enjoyed quite a few aspects of the city and world building, I felt it kind of devolved into a romance novel halfway through. I was afraid at the time I had been tricked into reading the next Twilight. How does this series and her other novels progress? Am I wrong in my assessment? (I'm wondering if I should give it another try)

The Inheritance Trilogy has a different protagonist for each entry. Romance is a rather integral element to the development of the story across the three books though. I enjoyed book 2 a lot, but book 3 much less so.

I enjoyed the Dreamblood series more than the Inheritance Trilogy, and was saddened that it was only 2 books long. It also has a different protagonist in each book, but its world is very interesting.

The Broken Earth trilogy is, so far, my favourite of her series. The world is very interesting and the narrative structure is engaging. I really like all of the characters and find more personal comfort in having the same protagonists from one book to the next. I haven't started the third book yet, but hope to get into it this weekend.

Top Bottom