• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Napoleon By Ridley Scott

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OMG That looks amazing. If they dont give Ridley an Oscar for this, I am done with these losers. What a gorgeous looking movie with some insane setpieces. The war scenes are going to be glorious.

P.S to anyone who misses the early 2000s late 90s war epics, give the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven another shot. It is probably the best epic of the lot, and doesnt get the love and admiration it deserves because the theatrical cut was kind of a mess.

HL3.exe

Looks alright, a little to 'epic' for my taste tbh, but could be the trailer edit. Hope Scott has progressed since his latest films. He's fallen off big time in quality for awhile now.

I,m more looking forward to Scorsese's new film.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
As a Frenchman, I'm so happy to see this because our country is only capable of doing family dramas or stupid and racist comedies.
So thank you Ridley because that look AMAZING. I loved The Last Duel and this seems like it's gonna be glorious too!

DKehoe

Looks great.

Radiohead in the trailer for the Dad movie historical epic of the year?

kAwgrPw.jpg

Also, I'm curious to see how this will compare to Spielberg's HBO miniseries that's going off of Kubrick's notes. Assuming that also happens. Speilberg was talking about it recently so I would assume it still is.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
OMG That looks amazing. If they dont give Ridley an Oscar for this, I am done with these losers. What a gorgeous looking movie with some insane setpieces. The war scenes are going to be glorious.

P.S to anyone who misses the early 2000s late 90s war epics, give the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven another shot. It is probably the best epic of the lot, and doesnt get the love and admiration it deserves because the theatrical cut was kind of a mess.
The movie clearly mocks short people and slobs without ambitions, dude basically represent toxic masculinity in pocket form.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It looks the dog's bollocks, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Ridley Scott is probably one of the most hit or miss directors on the planet, and his historical stuff is normally woefully inaccurate.

Also, I don't see how you can squeeze the life of Napoleon and a majority of his major battles into a single film. This would have worked better as a mini series.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like movies with Epic battle scenes. Even if it's kind of shit it's still worth watching the fights.

BTW, avoid Robin Hood. That's got to be one of the worst movies I've seen the past few years. How anyone can make a Robin Hood story so boring who knows. Kevin Costners Robin is still the best movie.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Also, I don't see how you can squeeze the life of Napoleon and a majority of his major battles into a single film. This would have worked better as a mini series.
Yeah, probably should have been a trilogy. I watched Epic History Channel's 4 part documentary on him and it was hilarious how kept coming back like Terminator. You could do a whole movie on his exile and comeback campaign which was honestly Napolean the general at his best.

I actually think the whole retreat from Moscow should be one movie. some insane shit happened there that no hollywood writer can come up in their wildest dreams. Make that Part 2 and call it fall of Napolean or something.

The thing is these movies are a huge risk with the audience simply not turning out for them like they used to. The Last Duel flopped and if this movie flops, there is absolutely no way he gets the funds to do two more.

I like movies with Epic battle scenes. Even if it's kind of shit it's still worth watching the fights.

BTW, avoid Robin Hood. That's got to be one of the worst movies I've seen the past few years. How anyone can make a Robin Hood story so boring who knows. Kevin Costners Robin is still the best movie.
Alexander is probably actually a bad movie, but the two big war scenes in Persia and India are absolutely insane. Oliver Stone at his best.

Last edited:

DKehoe

It looks the dog's bollocks, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Ridley Scott is probably one of the most hit or miss directors on the planet, and his historical stuff is normally woefully inaccurate.

The scale of Napoleon's life story is why I'm really glad that Spielberg is doing his version as a miniseries.

IDKFA

Alexander is probably actually a bad movie, but the two big war scenes in Persia and India are absolutely insane. Oliver Stone at his best.

Alexander actually does a lot right in terms of historical accuracy (I mean in terms of how it looks), but it was too much for one film. Should have been a trilogy. I agree that the battle scenes are top notch (they even added the Argyraspides), but besides that it's very forgettable.

I'm a history scholar, but I rarely look forward to any historical epic because 99% of the time they're so inaccurate that they might as well be fantasy. Braveheart, The King and Gladiator are some of the worst offenders and are so bad they're borderline offensive.

I'll give this a go. If it's good I'm hoping it gets a 4k physical release rather than being held hostage on Apple TV.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm sold.

I love these kinds of films, especially on 1st watch.

Scott's style often doesn't work for me after a couple of watches but you get many hours of entertainment before it starts to seem corny so I'm in , again!

SlimySnake

lol yeah, its awful, but a guilty pleasure of mine. Oscar Isaac was really good in it which is disappointing because the movie is about robin hood.

I think Ridley had a really bad 2010s. Both alien movies were flawed. Exodus was bad. Counselor is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Though the Martian was actually kinda good.

Still he had a string of like 6 bad movies, and just when I thought he was done, he made the last duel. I am super psyched about Gladiator 2 now because if there is one thing he proved with the last duel is that he can choreograph a mean medieval duel. There is no one better. He was let down by some poor writers the last ten years or so. Lets hope he's learned from that.

Starts a trailer. Trailer: Trailer starts now.

Thanks, trailer.
They do this for youtube ads that let you skip after 5 seconds. The first 5 seconds are an ad for the ad.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They do this for youtube ads that let you skip after 5 seconds. The first 5 seconds are an ad for the ad.

Cut that from the actual trailer then.

Who else is tired of how historical movies are color graded? It's set in the past so we set the saturation slider to 15 out of 100. Wow, so creative. Stop that shit.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
lol yeah, its awful, but a guilty pleasure of mine. Oscar Isaac was really good in it which is disappointing because the movie is about robin hood.

I think Ridley had a really bad 2010s. Both alien movies were flawed. Exodus was bad. Counselor is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Though the Martian was actually kinda good.

Still he had a string of like 6 bad movies, and just when I thought he was done, he made the last duel. I am super psyched about Gladiator 2 now because if there is one thing he proved with the last duel is that he can choreograph a mean medieval duel. There is no one better. He was let down by some poor writers the last ten years or so. Lets hope he's learned from that.

I kind of liked Exodus. At least it looked good. That's the thing with all of his movies even the ho hum ones. They look fantastic. Prometheus too. What an amazing looking scfi film that would have worked great if divorced of the Alien mythos.

SlimySnake

Cut that from the actual trailer then.

Who else is tired of how historical movies are color graded? It's set in the past so we set the saturation slider to 15 out of 100. Wow, so creative. Stop that shit.
I am honestly ok with it. If i wanted to see movies with soap opera daytime tv looks, i would watch marvel movies or modern day Netflix trash.

The movie looks gorgeous and the color pallete doesnt seem to diminish the scale of the battles. Yes, he's following the same look as The Last Duel which is fine since most of the movie is probably set in France, but there are definitely more color palletes in this. Egypt still looks stunning and the indoor scenes seem to be lit exclusively with candle lights where the grey color pallete doesnt seem to impact those scenes.

I kind of liked Exodus. At least it looked good. That's the thing with all of his movies even the ho hum ones. They look fantastic. Prometheus too. What an amazing looking scfi film that would have worked great if divorced of the Alien mythos.
I said the same thing to my friend on whatsapp earlier today. Despite how bad the Alien movies were, at least they looked good. The action in Covenant was very well directed too.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if they are gonna deage Joachim for like 95% of the film, if it is mostly set towards the end with just some flashbacks, or if they will kinda gloss over that Napolean was doing all this stuff as a 30-40 year old, not 50. Probably doesn't really matter I guess,

IDKFA

The scale of Napoleon's life story is why I'm really glad that Spielberg is doing his version as a miniseries.

Is that still happening, or is it another historical epic that could have been like Vin Diesel's Hannibal The Conqueror and Martin Scorsese's epic TV series on Rome and the rise of Caesar?

Sure.. but...

gladiator-movies.gif

No. If it's really historically inaccurate then it triggers me.

DKehoe

Is that still happening, or is it another historical epic that could have been like Vin Diesel's Hannibal The Conqueror and Martin Scorsese's epic TV series on Rome and the rise of Caesar?

It’s one of those projects that has been in the works for years now so until recently I figured it had faded away. But as I mentioned above Spielberg was talking about it again only a few months ago. So that gives me hope that it’s actively being worked on again and is edging towards production. I would also think the Kubrick connection would make it a passion project for Spielberg and that it’s one he’d want to see to completion as a result of that.

Ridley Scott has been colouring the shit out of his footage since he was doing commercials in the 60s. The man loves his blues, oranges and hard contrasts.

Alexander theatrical: absolute garbage with two fantastic battle scenes
Alexander Revisited: kino of the highest quality
There has never been a better example of what good editing means for a movie. Even Kingdom of Heaven and Alien 3 are decent in their original versions.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’m really not feeling Joaquin as Napoleon. Too old for a film that will cover even the pre-Empire part of the story. Also quite too stiff in the trailer. Napoleon apparently enjoyed some humour, and he was so sure of himself I can’t picture him as the bitchy resting face guy that Phoenix is portraying here.

Apart from this glaring little thing, looks like a blast. But it’ll need like 4 hours to even cover the basics, and I’m expecting some grating historical inaccuracies.

ahtlas7

Ah, another Ridley Scott period piece. I’m in love but will this be another Gladiator or Conquest of Paradise.

TheMan

Didn’t know I wanted this, but I can see Joaquin phoenix doing a fantastic job with this role

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Napoleon’s a fascinating figure and it’s a really interesting historical period. All we have culturally in the States is more or less “lol short man with inferiority complex tried to conquer Europe and lost,” but it goes far beyond that.

Very stylized trailer, but looks fun.

Top Bottom