• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Games?

I just got into the series, and was thinking about picking up Naruto 2... but was wondering, is there a newer / shinier / better one coming out fairly soon? Also, I heard something about PS2 Naruto game - is that just a port of the Cube version?

aoi tsuki

Can't comment on the PS2 games, other than the fact that they're completely different games from those on GC and obviously GBA. Definitely pick up the second Naruto game on GC. It's literally got everything from the previous version and more. It's an above average fighter with a four-player mode. A great game if you can get a good player to play against.

Takuan

The PS2 version of the game is pretty fun, I haven't tried the GC title. The gameplay is simple, but addictive.

DrDogg

I wouldn't say any of the Naruto games are above average fighting games, but Naruto 2 for GCN is the best Naruto game and probably the best anime-based fighting game I've ever played. Still doesn't hold a candle to any real fighting game though.

Also, a sequel to the PS2 Narultimate Hero is due out this Fall. No word on Naruto 3 for GCN, but with the popularity of the series rising and a movie due out in a couple months, it would seem to be a no brainer.

Last... the ONLY reason (IMO) to play the PS2 Naruto game (the first one, not the sequel) is if you don't own a GCN. Naruto 2 is leagues better than the PS2 Naruto game. I got the PS2 game first and thought it was about as good as DBZ Budokai 1 and 2 (which isn't that good). Then I got the GCN Naruto 2 and it completely blew the PS2 game out of the water. No comparison at all. But still a ways to go before it actually gets up to real fighting game status.

DrDogg said:
Last... the ONLY reason (IMO) to play the PS2 Naruto game (the first one, not the sequel) is if you don't own a GCN. Naruto 2 is leagues better than the PS2 Naruto game. I got the PS2 game first and thought it was about as good as DBZ Budokai 1 and 2 (which isn't that good). Then I got the GCN Naruto 2 and it completely blew the PS2 game out of the water. No comparison at all. But still a ways to go before it actually gets up to real fighting game status.

The same applies to One Piece Treasure battle, guys. The GCN game is basically the spitting image of the show, unlike the "tiny sized" versions coming out now/soon.

pilonv1

Naruto 2 GC is fun, but not very deep. Makes Smash Bros look like VF4 Evo. As far as anime games go it's pretty darn good and the four player mode is fun. Just dont let anyone choose the dog.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bjork said:
PS2 Naruto makes me think "Powerstone in 2D" for some reason.
Naruto 2 for the GC kinda makes me think of Power Stone without the interactive environments.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you're a fan of the series. It is surprisingly good for an anime game.

Here's another for Naruto 2 GC. Really fun with four players... there are quite a bunch of (overpowered) combos that require some skill, and deciding which enemy to target becomes part of the strategy. Usually everyone gangs up on Gaara because he's a jerk.

Then Rock Lee uses his fifth gate super repeatedly on everyone else and wins.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SiegfriedFM said:
Here's another for Naruto 2 GC. Really fun with four players... there are quite a bunch of (overpowered) combos that require some skill, and deciding which enemy to target becomes part of the strategy. Usually everyone gangs up on Gaara because he's a jerk.

Then Rock Lee uses his fifth gate super repeatedly on everyone else and wins.
Lee's Ura Renge leaves him as good as dead, though. If you can dodge it, which isn't THAT hard, then you have him dead to rights.

Oh yeah, Naruto 2 has plenty of character/technique spoilers, and the story mode obviously has spoilers, so if you're still early on in the show, you might want to hold off a bit.

From what I've seen, you know most of these techniques by episode 50 or so. Maybe *the boss character* and *maxed out version of a main character* have a few not seen at that point.

The game is good. And if you can find a friend who plays fighting games sometimes you can have decent matches. But beware of Orochimaru because he is way overpowered IMO.
His special makes the enemy lose its Chakra and selas it for the round.

Whenever I played random against my friend and got Oro he stood no chance :)

BTW: Sharingan Sasuke is fun to play

GO

SiegfriedFM said:
From what I've seen, you know most of these techniques by episode 50 or so. Maybe *the boss character* and *maxed out version of a main character* have a few not seen at that point.

That makes sense given the age of the game - I don't think there were many more episodes than that at the release date.

The only big arena for improvement Naruto 2 needs is the Capcom style of fighting game expansion - if you can't balance the game, add a hell of a lot more characters. Naruto as a series has that, so adding another dozen+ characters like Tsunade, Choji and Shino couldn't hurt.

Naruto 1 is cool if your a fan of the show, yet the "what could have been" is better...limited anmount of characters but still fun.

"what could have been is anwsered in NGC Naruto 2...best damn import fightinggame I played since Tobal 2, lots of characters and 4 players

Naruto for Ps2....ummm yeah, It's umm interesting

Naruto for PS2 is good, if you like nonnstandard fighters. Naruto 1 and 2 for Game cube are much more like standard fighters made to work within Naruto, whereas Naruto for PS2 is built from the ground up around Naruto. I still think the GC ones are more fun.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SiegfriedFM said:
It was right around episode 60 that the game came out. And technique-wise it basically runs through the 60s.

Except for the last unlockable character though, I think all the fighters have been unveiled by episode 30 or so.

jarrod

Banned
Mastiff should really look into bringing over Naruto 2 GC, it seems right up their alley. In fact, I beleive their syaff was instrumental in bringing over the Bloody Roar games back when they were at Activision.

Top Bottom