• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA’s Hubble Finds that a Black Hole Beam Promotes Stellar Eruptions

Hookshot

Gold Member
As if Black holes weren't dangerous enough.

In a surprise finding, astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have discovered that the blowtorch-like jet from a supermassive black hole at the core of a huge galaxy seems to cause stars to erupt along its trajectory. The stars, called novae, are not caught inside the jet, but apparently in a dangerous neighborhood nearby.
The finding is confounding researchers searching for an explanation. "We don't know what's going on, but it's just a very exciting finding," said Alec Lessing of Stanford University, lead author of the paper published in The Astrophysical Journal. "This means there's something missing from our understanding of how black hole jets interact with their surroundings."

hubble-m87-26sept24-stsci-01j6ws5znbgmg8hdhqthzb7ac6.png

Killer space energy beams, that cause stars to explode without even needing to be close to them.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I read the article and was going spout off about correlation and causation and realized that this is NASA… they forgot more than I will ever know. Obviously I’m wrong.

I look forward to more info on these. The more information we have on stuff like this the better.

It's 3,000 light years long, but effecting a much larger range than just that.

A light year is approximately 6 trillion miles. At 60 mph it would take you 28 billion years so you best start today if you want to drive it.
24 quadrillion miles??

Crazy…

Basically a galactic core nutting out into deep space…

Hookshot

Gold Member
24 quadrillion miles??

Crazy…

Basically a galactic core nutting out into deep space…
M87 is one of the most massive galaxies in the local Universe. Its diameter is estimated at 132,000 light-years, which is approximately 51% larger than that of the Milky Way.[5][6] As an elliptical galaxy, the galaxy is a spheroid rather than a flattened disc, accounting for the substantially larger mass of M87.
Trillions of stars so it has a while to go to blow up them all.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Wait, so this thing is like real life Death Star? 😲
Death Star on steroids, it's a giant black hole so it's swallowing up whatever it's gravity can get like they usually do, all while shooting out a death ray that causes stars to blow up. We'll never know how many planets have been destroyed by it, but if those stars go boom then entire solar systems would be wiped out.

BlackTron

Death Star on steroids, it's a giant black hole so it's swallowing up whatever it's gravity can get like they usually do, all while shooting out a death ray that causes stars to blow up. We'll never know how many planets have been destroyed by it, but if those stars go boom then entire solar systems would be wiped out.

I want one.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Novae is when a star explodes. In double star systems the same star can do it multiple times, "eating" the neighboring star. What we don't get is how the stream could double the likelihood of novae.

gO6Mlp1.png
51 to 34? Is that really a significant enough difference to not be due to small sample size?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this called Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation , please confirm

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's 3,000 light years long, but effecting a much larger range than just that.

A light year is approximately 6 trillion miles. At 60 mph it would take you 28 billion years so you best start today if you want to drive it.
Heading out now so I avoid rush hour to make a good start.

Top Bottom