• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC announces SeeSo, a comedy streaming sub service for $3.99/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

beta.seeso_.com_.jpg

Announced Thursday at an event in New York, SeeSo will launch in invite-only beta in December and is planned for a wide release in January. For $3.99 a month, the service will offer up a mix of original series, exclusive content and licensed material.

With SeeSo, NBCU is going after comedy fans instead of trying to compete for a wider demographic the way Netflix, Hulu and even new entrants from CBS and others do. SeeSo plans to hand-curate the content for the site and will have guests select on demand playlists with video recommendations each month.

"Big streaming services have created a paradox of choice — they're great if you know exactly what to watch, but if you aren't in the middle of a binge, the search can be near endless," said Evan Shapiro, exec vp digital enterprises at NBCU. "By focusing on a specific, yet large niche, and providing a curated experience, we can help viewers find good stuff they might not or cannot find. SeeSo is your neighborhood comedy eatery, with daily specials from a chef you trust."

SeeSo is prepping more than 20 original series during its first year. Among them is HarmonQuest, an animated series from Community's Dan Harmon, The UCB Show from sketch comedy troop Upright Citizens Brigade, and reality spoof show Bajillion Dollar Propertie $ from exec producers Scott Aukerman, Ben Garant, Tom Lennon and Kulap Vilaysack. Other orignals will come from stand up comic Wyatt Cenac and Lorne Michaels' Broadway Video.

SeeSo will also offer a collection of series available for the first time on streaming, including Monty Python's Flying Circus. Also streaming on the service will be The Kids in the Hall, complete collections of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Saturday Night Live, including new episodes available the day after they air. The entire catalog of NBC's The Office and the original BBC version of The Office will also be available alongside 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation.

The ad-free service will be available on the web and streaming via connected devices and other distribution partners. NBCU says the launch of SeeSo will not affect its pre-existing deals with Hulu, which it co-owns as a silent partner alongside 21st Century Fox and Disney, and YouTube, where many of its late night clips go viral.

Full list of original shows on the link:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-launch-comedy-streaming-service-832351

Sounds pretty interesting.

Cheebo

Banned
Complete back catalog of Monty Python and SNL? Not bad.

Edit: Wow that list of original shows has a lot more talent than expected.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well, the price is right. I'd jump on it if they get some good original content. Also, hopefully it's available as an add-on to the existing Hulu app, sorta like the Showtime one.

Didn't NBC nuke the majority of their comedy lineup this year? They have Undateable Live...and...I'm drawing a blank. I know that's not what this is, but it's funny they'd want to focus on comedy here.

TieredInternet.jpg

I really hope they dont pull their content from Netflix in order to make their service more appealing, but who am I kidding, eventually we will have to pay for like 10 services in order to be able to watch stuff that used to be on Netflix :(

Akahige

lol what a shit name.
HarmonQuest, an animated series from Community's Dan Harmon
Alright I'm in.
Didn't NBC nuke the majority of their comedy lineup this year? They have Undateable Live...and...I'm drawing a blank. I know that's not what this is, but it's funny they'd want to focus on comedy here.
I am drawing a blank as well at the comedy shows they have on now, looking it up, they have on show I've heard of but haven't seen and one show I haven't heard of at all.

Barrage

I'm subbing. I want as many places that allow comedy creators to work as possible.

I fully assume that Netflix will be 40 dollars within the next 15 years. I won't be that mad about it TBH, it's very much underpriced for how much people use it now in comparison to cable.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Was going to get this anyway to watch HarmonQuest. I had no idea this was backed by NBC.

EDIT: Maybe they can bring back The Cape ;)

bjork

I really hope they dont pull their content from Netflix in order to make their service more appealing, but who am I kidding, eventually we will have to pay for like 10 services in order to be able to watch stuff that used to be on Netflix :(

Or just not pay for any of it. Not meaning piracy, but just not consuming stuff if they want to price me out.

So what is the UCB Show. If it were really Walsh, Besser, Roberts and Poehler, I am SO in.

Edit to add: It is! Hooray! I dreamed of this day!

Raistlin

I'm curious if this will show up as an add-on service to Hulu with a minor discount?

Would be kind of silly not to do this given NBC Universal is part owner of Hulu. Not to mention they created the add-ons section to the site yet the only option is Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom