• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Impressions

Fifty

Lil' Dice said:
I'm not buying either ESPN or Madden, so maybe you just hit my 'quote' button by mistake....I was merely asking if the changes really warranted the $50 price tag, or were they so marginal that a $20 MSRP would've been more appropriate......BTW, I'm the most unbiased XboT you'll EVER find.

Gotcha. No hard feelings.

OK, now some posative impressions. I just finished my first online game, and it fucking ruled. I was FSU and my oppoent was Michigan. He had home advantage. Within the first quarter he was up 14-3, but by the end I had made a comeback and beat him 23-14. It was really cool, and felt more solid then any online football game I've played before.

There wasn't any real cheesing except him trying long bombs nonstop. I called the right plays and got around 5 picks. Then his guys got rattled (even with his hfa), and they miffed a punt return and gave up a fumble. Awesome.

I'm now glad I bought this. Online makes it worth it.

Surprisingly smooth to. A little lag, but pretty good.

ok i got back with the ps2 version NO SLOWDOWN

WTF

i mean yeah it looks a bit worse in IQ and lighting but man I swear its a solid 60 fps

ill post more when I get back

Drey1082

anyone else having problems getting online through live? I keep getting a message saying I can't connect to the EA server.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DMczaf said:
Stop watching that crappy All-Star game Matrix, and get your UNLV beatdown!

I'd love to get my ass whopped but I cant seem to log on >_< I get the same message that Drey1082 gets.I did log on once and I had no one on my friends list and then I got booted.

here are some impressions:

- slowdown IS there sometimes, but that isn't whats bugging me, here's whats bugging me:

* homefield advantage is a joke. if you play against the #1 hometeam or anyone in the top 25 pretty much, and the crowd gets riled up, all of a sudden you go into bum mode. you can't run, you can't block, you can't pass, you can't catch, you can't do shit right. i like that there is a homefield "advantage" but this is ridiculous.

* many people have noted the "better defense", and to be honest it is much improved, but a lot of it has to do with nfl 2k3 style drops. these are WIDE open passes that are dropped. if the pass is within 5 yards, and its over the middle, it will be dropped 75% of the time guaranteed. runningbacks cant catch for shit wide open. etc

* triple coverage catches are more common than wide open 5 yard passes over the middle

* the kicking game IS ridiculous. if you have to kick anything above a 40 yarder, you can forget about it.

* commentary sucks balls. sounds like the exact same shit from last year

* online play might as well not be there at this point, it's a crap shoot getting online

anyways, all in all i'm pretty disappointed in NCAA. i can live with the slowdown from time to time, but the rest of the game just isn't all it's cracked up to be. maybe i tricked myself into believing a college football game would be worth my time, maybe it is genuine disappointment. all i can say is thank god ESPN football is out next week

hgplayer1

so how did you get your friends list to come up because now mine wont come up.

FMT I was playing against a guy and I think he kicked like a 52 yard FG on me with room to spare but I know what youre saying about kicking. I hate it.

yeah I finally played a game online and it was really enjoyable. everything I expect from a game played on Live. I had a couple wide open drops but more than anything there were some nice throws and catches from both teams. the drops do look a lot like the NFL2k drops. since I havent played any EA football games in a long while everything is pretty new to me but so far I like the feel and pace of this game. I dont notice any slowdown at all so far and if its there its nothing that would keep me from enjoying the game.

EDIT: nm my friends list is up. guess I just had to ask why it wasnt working to get it to work.

WTF is this shit now...I try and go back on Live and it tells me that "Someone is already logged in with this gametag. Please try again later." ??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! :mad

I agree with the passing comments. Those balls should be caught!!!

Tried to get online and couldn't as well. I really hope they are using this game as a test for Madden online. Ridiculous. M$ fucked up if its gonna be like this trying to get online all the time.

EA get a clue. Get faster servers (or however you get more players online).

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I still cant get online.....if this keeps up I might just get Madden for PS2 >_<

Fuck wonder if EB would take this back and give me the PS2 version.If I cant get online by the 15th I'm going to be beyond pissed.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It's going to require serious slider tweaking to make this game playable. Was the rollout of Madden online play on the PS2 this much of a pooch screw?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Guileless said:
It's going to require serious slider tweaking to make this game playable. Was the rollout of Madden online play on the PS2 this much of a pooch screw?

Pretty much it was just like this. By the weekend things should be better. I think one thing complicating things is the fact you have 2 IT teams working together instead of just one (EA) to fix issues.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I bet that is making things tougher for them to fix. However, I just played an OT drill and it was nice and smooth, I beat Florida.

Ripclawe

Banned
Guileless said:

yeah on default on All American mode, my created school in the first year is kicking
way too much butt. I have some created players on there as well to get a leg up but I shouldn't be beatings schools 73-20 my first year.

Mrbob

Ahh hell, online problems?

EA also said they would fix MVP and it never happened! Wait till next year is basically what happened.

Unless it is their top tier franchise (Madden) they'll probably let problems persist with NCAA as well.

Matrix

Online play is now working for me and its sweet :) but.....

I'm the worst online football player that will ever grace xbox live.I FUCKING SUCK!!!!!!!

Mrbob

Koo.

Another thing that I'm reading about that seems like a disappointment is that NCAA only tracks your EA Messenger list online. The game doesn't take into account your Xbox Live! friends list? This is why EA needed to be on LIVE! two years ago so they didn't fall behind in their online implementation.

Matrix

Thats odd,all the people on my ea messenger are the people on my xbox live friends list.Unless im looking at it wrong :p

hgplayer1

Mrbob said:
Koo.

Another thing that I'm reading about that seems like a disappointment is that NCAA only tracks your EA Messenger list online. The game doesn't take into account your Xbox Live! friends list? This is why EA needed to be on LIVE! two years ago so they didn't fall behind in their online implementation.

no Im pretty sure it shows your complete friends list in the EA messenger. I think what you were reading about was the list not coming up at all. like last night sometimes I would see my complete friends list and sometimes I would only see who was online and sometimes I wouldnt see anything at all.

why are the L and R triggers so damn sensitive in the menus?

Mrbob

Well hopefully I can snag the game tonight.

Then you better prepare for a beatdown of epic proportions Matrix!

swoon

Biff Hardbody said:
OK, now some posative impressions. I just finished my first online game, and it fucking ruled. I was FSU and my oppoent was Michigan. He had home advantage. Within the first quarter he was up 14-3, but by the end I had made a comeback and beat him 23-14. It was really cool, and felt more solid then any online football game I've played before.

There wasn't any real cheesing except him trying long bombs nonstop. I called the right plays and got around 5 picks. Then his guys got rattled (even with his hfa), and they miffed a punt return and gave up a fumble. Awesome.

I'm now glad I bought this. Online makes it worth it.

Surprisingly smooth to. A little lag, but pretty good.

who throws bombs with michigan. they have a freshman qb, but a great running back.

Matrix

Mrbob said:
Well hopefully I can snag the game tonight.

Then you better prepare for a beatdown of epic proportions Matrix!

HAHA you will most likely beat me by 60 or more points...I suckkkkkkkkkk :(

dskillzhtown

Matrix said:
HAHA you will most likely beat me by 60 or more points...I suckkkkkkkkkk :(

So Online is working now? I hope so because last night I couldn't get crap going online.

hgplayer1

I was able to complete one game last night but everything else was pretty iffy. i would get disconnected randomly and half the time couldnt even get logged in. Im sure hoping its gotten better already.

Matrix

dskillzhtown said:
So Online is working now? I hope so because last night I couldn't get crap going online.

Well it seems to be,I was able to play 2 complete games with just a little lag and then I logged off.I still have this feeling it wont be perfectly running till tomorrow.

dskillzhtown

Matrix said:
Well it seems to be,I was able to play 2 complete games with just a little lag and then I logged off.I still have this feeling it wont be perfectly running till tomorrow.

Well, look for me online, dskillzhtown is my gamertag.

Is the gamertag linking application working yet?

Matrix

I'll send you a friend request when I log on later :)

I tried the game linking thing and it says it went through,but when I log on the gametag page it comes up with an error message.

Got game and it's seems stable for me at least, no probs... yet. :(

Gamertag: salparadise

I'll be on late nights and if ya find me i'm an automatic win!!!

Also, how do we sign up for the GA tourney? What should i be searching for?

DMczaf

I got my tag linked up :)

Tag - DMczaf

Too bad EA decided to not count ALL of my wins!!! WTF! I should be like 2-2 or 3-2 but they have me at 0-2 :(

FMT, what did you do to avoid your losses!

Matrix

Man people still fucking quit on xbox live :( I'm down 14-3 to some guy and I comeback to lead 17-14 and the bitch quits and then I end up playing the computer and losing :(

Im sending everyone of you whores that owns this game a friend invite :p I hate quitters!!!!!!!

*goes off to read the xbox live tag list*

Fifty

You need my sportsmanship! :(

Why don't you have a mic? Did you not buy the starter kit?

It's much more fun with a mic, especially if you play with people you know (like I always do)

Matrix

Fifty said:
You need my sportsmanship! :(

Why don't you have a mic? Did you not buy the starter kit?

It's much more fun with a mic, especially if you play with people you know (like I always do)

I was one of the beta testers and it came with a mic.Some how my mic broke,I can hear people but the damn mouth piece broke and people cant hear me:\ I havent played any xbox live games till now so I had no reason to buy a mic.I'm going to pick up one soon I guess,I just really never cared for it anyway.It had crossed my mind to buy a mic and convert my voice to sound like a little girls and talk nasty things to you,then you wont want to talk to me muhahahaha

Btw the gametag link works now...

Fifty or Dm can you see my record ? lol

http://www.easports.com/games/ncaa2...ername=matrixadw&platform=xbl&server=ncaa2005

Matrix

Ok,I'm going to go log on....please have mercy on my Cougars.

hgplayer1

hmmm I just noticed something kinda cool. Im signed in right now while I surf the web a little and i keep hearing that little "chink" sound coming from the game. I think thats an alert to tell you if someone has signed in or out and to tell you theres a score update for someone on your friends list. the last two times Ive heard it the very next thing I saw on the ticker was DMs game with Matrix at 0-7. the next time I heard it the score showed to be 7-7. pretty neat and I havent been disconnected once in the last 30+ minutes and I got my gamertag linked at EA. looks like things are calming down and Im ready to play some football! Ill be back on in a couple hours.

Heres my EA stats page

http://www.easports.com/games/ncaa2...ername=hgplayer1&platform=xbl&server=ncaa2005

Matrix

Woot beat DM 27-17 :D but I dont think my win is going to show up,it wouldnt let me log back on to the ea servers after the game :( :(

WOOT nevermind...it did count and you can all see the beautiful score on my page:)

DMczaf

BS, all you do is Hot Streak a fly route then bomb over and over again. You got lucky with it twice in the 4th to win :(

And wtf, am I allowed to get a PI call?! Your guys were just killing my WRs before the ball was even there! Damn Houston refs!

Ha! I have the stats now from email!

Shotgun plays 1 22

Hot routes used 1 13

You cant hide the cheese, Matrix!

Top Bottom