• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a new sound card...

I've almost got my pc up to speed. I just got an Athlon 3200+ and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ice. I'll also bump my ram up to a gig by the end of the week. So all is good there...but what's the point of everything looking great if the sound is less that satisfying.

I'm new the gaming arena so any help getting a compatible sound card will work (also something hopefully of good quality that's somewhat inexpensive).

This is the Motherboard [Biostar/Amptron M7NCD Socket A AMD DDR400 Motherboard(400FSB)]

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I liked my Audigy 2.. the Gamer edition comes with a crapload of decent games! (check newegg)

<Edit>Creative EAX is still the most supported ingame sound effect system by developers</edit>

However, if you want to use it with any type of receiver for 5.1 that has optical or coxial, it won't work. The receiver has to have seperate inputs for Front/Rear/Center,Sub.
Get a motherboard with the new soundstorm if you want something to do that

<Edit>It works with coxial, however, only with 2 channels</edit>

rc213

Audigy 2 gets my vote aswell. Only had a small problem installing the new drivers otherwise its great for gaming.

Neo_ZX

I have the debate to go through as well. Should you spend an extra $20 for 5.1 Soundstorm that is onboard the A7N8X series motherboards ($111 compared to $133 for the deluxe) or $120 for the Audigy 2 ZS that you can use for a while?

I have a SB Live! Value and it's still doing quite well for me so I think a removable card would be the way to go. I'm planning to save up for either the THX Logitech or Klipsch 5.1 but too tired to check and see if I can use them in a home entertainment center. No idea what outputs they have.

Top Bottom