• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need desperate pc/windows help!!! (XP not working problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deg

Banned
I'm typing on another pc but my own pc is in a mess. I was surfing the internet and all of a sudden my pc crashed giving me a weird blue screen i have never seen before during my use of xp the past few years. It basically toldme to restart my pc but it gets stuck during bootup. I've tried everything and i cant start in safe mode or reinstall windows. Install gets stuck during device detetection every time. So i am stuck big time now.

I installed warppipe prior to this i dont know if that had anything to do with it but i have a gut feeling it might have been the program automatically installed with it.

Any solutions? I'm all out of ideas. I can use my cd drive.

Deg

Banned
Che said:
Boot up yout WinXP CD and try to Repair. It might work.

repair takes me to DOS... The other repair doesnt do anything after the pc reboots...

This isnt looking good. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
whats the message? If it's a registry thing, last known good config might save you, but if you have logged in again since the prob you're boned. you got the cd though right? RIGHT? boot from it and repair, not reinstall. maybe you have some faulty hardware if it's getting stuck on device detection.

Deg

Banned
catfish said:
whats the message? If it's a registry thing, last known good config might save you, but if you have logged in again since the prob you're boned. you got the cd though right? RIGHT? boot from it and repair, not reinstall. maybe you have some faulty hardware if it's getting stuck on device detection.

thats the prob i cant get in whatsoever. I think its a faulty device.

Che said:
Maybe try to enter in Safe Mode and then use System Restore (if you have it enabled)?

Safe mode doesnt work whatsoever.

I'm trying to do a clean reinstall right now. If that doesnt work i dont know.

edit: Its going to prepare devices soon.

Deg

Banned
Good news i hope. Its gone past the part where it was crashing before. Only problem is that its a completely new instaltion in a new folder. That means i'll have to install everything from scratch and someofmy stuff will be gone. I think my pc needed it anyway. It'll probably be a little quicker i guess.

I'm hoping it will finsih the installation succesfuly. I hope i havent forgotten my ISP details :( All my emails andcertain records will be gone i think.

Neo_ZX

Why don't you make the bad HD a slave and hook it up to the PC you're using now. Save what you need and do a clean format after.

Deg

Banned
Neo_ZX said:
Why don't you make the bad HD a slave and hook it up to the PC you're using now. Save what you need and do a clean format after.

I'm in the middle of install now. Once Xp is up and running can i get data and emails from outlook express? because i think thats what i mainly need and my documents.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
was the repair installation not an option? I think you were a little hasty with the reinstall.

Deg

Banned
catfish said:
was the repair installation not an option? I think you were a little hasty with the reinstall.

I tried about 8 times i think :lol Kept getting stuck. I'm online on my pc now. Just gotta reinstall the drivers and everything. Any one know about recovering data from theother windows install like outlook emails?

Thanks for your help everyone.

SyNapSe

omg, if you haven't been able to login you should always, ALWAYS! use the reload registry features.

It's really rare XP gets corrupted but if it happens it's normally a Driver problem, hardware issue, or the rare (dont' f w/ the reg issue).

When you boot out of the f8 options choose load last defaults or whatever, it should reload the backup copy of the registry.

Deg

Banned
SyNapSe said:
omg, if you haven't been able to login you should always, ALWAYS! use the reload registry features.

It's really rare XP gets corrupted but if it happens it's normally a Driver problem, hardware issue, or the rare (dont' f w/ the reg issue).

When you boot out of the f8 options choose load last defaults or whatever, it should reload the backup copy of the registry.

Thats what i am telling you guys. Nothing worked. Somehting happened to my original XP installation. All i want now is to get my files back.

golem

outlook files should be in \documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook (.pst files)

Deg

Banned
golem said:
outlook files should be in \documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook (.pst files)

Crap its not letting me in. I should have mentioned that.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Deg said:
I'm typing on another pc but my own pc is in a mess. I was surfing the internet and all of a sudden my pc crashed giving me a weird blue screen i have never seen before during my use of xp the past few years. It basically toldme to restart my pc but it gets stuck during bootup. I've tried everything and i cant start in safe mode or reinstall windows. Install gets stuck during device detetection every time. So i am stuck big time now.

I installed warppipe prior to this i dont know if that had anything to do with it but i have a gut feeling it might have been the program automatically installed with it.

Any solutions? I'm all out of ideas. I can use my cd drive.
I had a similar problem... needed a new motherboard and graphics card.

Deg

Banned
Scrow said:
I had a similar problem... needed a new motherboard and graphics card.

well this new Xp installation seems to be working fine for me. The old still doesnt boot. Its just a case of getting old data into this and dleting the old one.

Deg said:
well this new Xp installation seems to be working fine for me. The old still doesnt boot. Its just a case of getting old data into this and dleting the old one.

How old was the old installation? I never get my Windows intalls go beyond 1 year, no matter how well it's working.

Deg

Banned
Yeah it was. Does anyone know of a program that manages files and doesnt require XP bootup? I might look at linux as knoppix left me impressed except i cant do anything with knoppix as my HDD is locked when i use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom