• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need expert tech support - RAID 0 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm at the end of my rope here. After successfully avoiding RAID through it's entire span of relevance, the tech finally managed to bite me in the ass on it's way to obscurity.

A friend buys a GPU. GPU makes drives throw a fit. We eventually ascertain that moving the PCI-E SSD drive (C:) from the x1 slot to the x8 slot allows the computer to see the SSD and the RAID controller (D:), allowing boot. As part of this troubleshooting process, I update the computer's UEFI. As the UEFI cannot see the PCI-E card, and for some reason they COMPRESS a 2 MB file, it unpacks to Disk 1 as part of the flash. Disk 1, which is part of the RAID array. Wiping the partition data in the process, and causing Windows to view the drive as unformatted.

Now, the controller stayed intact, and all my research indicates that this should allow me to undelete files as if they were on any normal drive. In practice, this hasn't worked. Piriform's Recuva was unable to even scan the drive. EaseUS Data Recovery, despite advertising for my exact case, produces only files with garbled contents, though it's able to read filenames, some directory structure, and 'last modified' dates for most of the files. Attempting partition recovery has only discovered EFISECTOR fat12 partitions, presumably from the UEFI unpack.

Professional data recovery isn't out of the question for this friend, but I have no idea who we would contact, or what that might cost. Automatic recovery would be preferable, but I'm losing hope quickly.

Help me, Neo-GAF Kenobi. You are my only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom