• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Underground 2 - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Sounds about right.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/needforspeedunderground2/review.html

"Need for Speed Underground 2 starts with last year's game as a template and builds from there. Unfortunately, almost everything that has been added to this year's game detracts from the overall experience. Once you're in and racing and customizing your cars, it's a lot of fun, but there are too many obstacles standing between you and the best parts of the game."

I've been playing NFSU2 on PC for 3 days now, and put more time into it than any game I've purchased lately. There are plenty of cheesy EAish flaws, but it takes nothing away from the customizing and racing, which are incredibly fun. Its not to hard to turn off the voice acting and soundtrack. The complaints about ad placement are nitpicking. Getting from race to race takes what, 45 seconds to a minute? And the whole time you can powerslide around a great looking city. Gamespot really overstates how important these "flaws" are. If the game appeals to you, I recommend it.

The GAF trend of judging games and agreeing with or criticizing scores before they even play them is becoming pathetic. Play the fucking games.

"Play the fucking games."

I can pretty much guarantee something. In any given thread where people have a negative complaint about a game on this board. Well odds are that they either played it for less than an hour or never even touched it.

shpankey

not an idiot
why the hell would you keep playing a game you don't like for over an hour? must be nice to have that kind of time to just throw away.

Kon Tiki

Banned
pilonv1 said:
:lol :lol

Now everyone knows why EA bought Criterion.

Now that they have that racing genre covered they should drop the lame Underground crap and make another Hot Pursuit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What a cock of a review. NFSU2 is infinitely better than all racers to hit 2004, including Burnout 3. Not only does it feature ten times the substance, but it also holds its fun and value for a much longer time. Burnout 3 got old in 2 weeks. NFSU2 just keeps going. So far, this is my GOTY -- if GT4 doesn't make it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
What a cock of a review. NFSU2 is infinitely better than all racers to hit 2004, including Burnout 3. Not only does it feature ten times the substance, but it also holds its fun and value for a much longer time. Burnout 3 got old in 2 weeks. NFSU2 just keeps going. So far, this is my GOTY -- if GT4 doesn't make it.

THE EA POD PEOPLE HAVE HIM!

I bought the game on Alpha's recommendation :lol

AlphaSnake, what are you driving? I've been racing a Civic the entire time, handles like a dream, and I have a Supra as a side project at the moment, but the torque is too much.

WarPig

I drove a 206 to start and built up a Supra and a Skyline later.

With even 2/3 of the performance mods, the Supra is practically uncontrollable. It wants to spin donuts every time you twitch the steering wheel. Lots of fun, if not very practical.

Supra's my best-looking ride, though, metallic black paint job and a really nice set of silver and purple flames.

DFS.

Che

Banned
EA is the Attila of videogames. It takes over and destroys. And the casual gamers are the Huns.

COCKLES

being watched
I'm sure Burnout 4 will go down the shitter when Criterion staff piss off fed up with 80 hour weeks and star billing to DMX or Xzibit in NEED FOR SPEED: BURNOUT RAP RIVAL WARZ.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
captainbiotch said:
I bought the game on Alpha's recommendation :lol

AlphaSnake, what are you driving? I've been racing a Civic the entire time, handles like a dream, and I have a Supra as a side project at the moment, but the torque is too much.

Started with a Civic and then went to a Sentra as soon as I could. The competition can't keep up with me. It's the fastest 4-banger in the game by far. I bought a 350Z but good God keeping the car in control is tough. So I started tweaking the 350Z's suspension -- decreased the oversteer by adjusting the rear sway and adjusted the center of gravity for even better cornerning. Still, my Sentra is what I'm driving 95% of the time. I'll take a pic of it. =D

AirBrian

pilonv1 said:
:lol :lol

Now everyone knows why EA bought Criterion.
To Black Box's defense, the PS2 version of NFS:HP2 was very good. NFS:U was decent, but it looks like they are stretched too thin developing for all three.

WarPig

buck naked said:
Since GT4 isn't going to offer my pimp Trueno DORIFTO fun this year, Underground 2 is the new ricing (racing?) candidate.

Initial D geeks will dig this game. You have to get a ways into it to unlock them (third major region you open up), but the mountain drift comps are a lot of fun.

DFS.

AlphaSnake said:

And you've been playing the retail version of Underground 2 for how long now?

Top Bottom