• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FFXI FAQ/Starter topic Redux

RuGalz

Yep. Well I'll follow one of the guides Darsh found that's supposed to make it a close to guaranteed win. Need to save gils to purchase all the right equipments. Thanks to everyone for camping Moldavite Earring with me today and being able to use some of Cricket's stuff, there's only a couple expensive items left that need to be purchased. Otherwise, I'd have to come up with more than a mil out of my ass just for this stupid fight. There certainly isn't enough doable quests left for me to cover that kind of expense and NM farming is just not my thing. So either way I guess it'll be a while before I'll face him again.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I see it as a bit of payback in a way. =P RDM and BRDs = Automatic party invites, so in reply, have fun fighting Maat!

Only fair in a way =)

In other news, MNK is lvl 34 (halfway to lvl 35) from starting at lvl 32. Wearing the fun fun kotes. Having a great time with the job =) Scoping out the prices of VIT rings/necklaces (cheap one) to macro equip with Chakra as well. Just having mucho fun with the job.

Shouta: Sohjai made his way back...then promptyly sold all his MNK gear and took up BRD. lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So ummm......

Im a WHM, does that mean im never going to get past LVL 70?

I've heard rumor that the WHM Maat fight is just one of the classic Final Fantasy "Take it like a man" fights where you jsut have to survive long enough, and not actually beat him. Anyone know if this is true?

Rorschach

DrForester said:
So ummm......

Im a WHM, does that mean im never going to get past LVL 70?

I've heard rumor that the WHM Maat fight is just one of the classic Final Fantasy "Take it like a man" fights where you jsut have to survive long enough, and not actually beat him. Anyone know if this is true?
http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34404

Sounds like you don't actually kick his ass, but you beat him after you have healed enough hp.

Man, reading up on it, Elvaan RDM are focked. T_T

Sumidor

Finally got my little Taru warrior to 50 and finished Genkai 1 last week. And I finally see why a lot of people wanna quit when they hit 50. That quest is the worst damn thing ever.

I have a question for you guys, do you think I should buy a steppe belt (Def: 3, +40 hp, +2 str, +3 vit, -5 mnd) or just stick with life belt (accuracy +10)?

Everyone is telling me to just have both of them on me, so if i'm main tank or back up tank, i'll have the best gear. But my inventory is already full of stuff and holding extra things is gonna make it worse. I already have a Emperor Hairpin on me, and different set of rings at all times.

Shouta

I`d recommend on having both but the chances of you tanking get lower as you get higher in level. Really, having the Steppe belt on you at all times in an emergency is quite nice.

On that note, WHM really is a tough battle from what I heard but not impossible. Although I`ve heard it`s easier if you have maxed combat skills and some gear to help you take some damage but that was just one person.

RuGalz

One of my RDM friend lost to Maat 7 times at level 70 and gave up and ended up leveling her subjob WHM to 66 and beat Maat on first try at that level... Can't be that hard.

RuGalz

No you don't lose exp but every time you lose you have to farm for your testimony again in order to fight Maat which gets old too.

Belfast

*sigh* The gods apparently do not want me playing FFXI. :p

Every time I try and start back up things happen....and I've been stuck on a computer incapable of running the game all summer. Perhaps, just perhaps, though, I will make an effort to come back for Chains of Promathia. I can't pass up a good expansion with lots of juicy, new areas to explore!

Xaerus

Could just level another job that has an easy time beating Maat, and doing it that way. :p

Belfast, Gattsu needs to come back too. :)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I decided to do BST for a while this week, and it's actually a pretty fun gig. Granted I've only gotten the job to lvl 8 and my charms won't stick too long, and I'm learning I should play the job like a WAR till lvl 10-12 where I can hopefully charm the right strength of beasts to kill Ts, but nonetheless, I think BST may be a nice break for the PTing grind for me. After playing WHM forever, all of the bad pullers/tanks/people who bitch that the WHM is leaving in spite of giving them 30 minutes notice are grinding on me. I very much like the idea of going BST, pick a spot in the middle of nowhere, and doing my thing.

Rorschach

Belfast said:
*sigh* The gods apparently do not want me playing FFXI. :p

Every time I try and start back up things happen....and I've been stuck on a computer incapable of running the game all summer. Perhaps, just perhaps, though, I will make an effort to come back for Chains of Promathia. I can't pass up a good expansion with lots of juicy, new areas to explore!
*Shakes fist* You didn't even finish exploring the old areas! :p

Charles

I don't normally post in your thread, because I'm on the Fenrir server not on Fairy but I feel like shouting now that I reached Lv50 with DRG, may I have many evenings of lfg in Jeuno! :D

Mock

Banned
Charles said:
I don't normally post in your thread, because I'm on the Fenrir server not on Fairy but I feel like shouting now that I reached Lv50 with DRG, may I have many evenings of lfg in Jeuno! :D

Well congrats nonetheless.

Tabris

One miscellanious thing they should add to FFXI is the ability for other people to visit your mog house.

So A) You can show off your furniture. B) You can meet with that person and /say in private.

Xaerus

Tabris said:
One miscellanious thing they should add to FFXI is the ability for other people to visit your mog house.

So A) You can show off your furniture. B) You can meet with that person and /say in private.

They need quite a few things, what you said is a very good idea though, kind of chatroom-esque. Some other things I think they need:

1) Chocobo Polo! (PvP!)
2) Chocobo Racing! (PvP!)
3) Mining/Harvesting/Excavating/etc skills, similar to the Chocobo Digging skill.
4) Quest-specific coffers (mainly for AF and stuff like that), that look different than regular coffers and use regular coffer keys.
5) Nomad Moogles in towns like Selbina/Mhaura.

Congrats on getting to Lv50 Charles!

Belfast

Rorschach said:
*Shakes fist* You didn't even finish exploring the old areas! :p

Bah. Only because I'm not levelled enough, but I do feel I have a good idea about what most of them look like. Promathia seems to have some new areas that aren't high-level exclusive, though.

Mock

Banned
Tabris said:

Bah... you just want cybersex with a Mithra, admit it! :p

RuGalz

Or a Manthra. :p

On a related note, sometimes I get annoyed when I find a nice looking fishing spot to skill up fishing. And 10 mins later, a pair of male and female chars would come and sit on top of each other and start cybering... So I end up filtering emote when I fish as well...

Mock

Banned
RuGalz said:
Or a Manthra. :p

On a related note, sometimes I get annoyed when I find a nice looking fishing spot to skill up fishing. And 10 mins later, a pair of male and female chars would come and sit on top of each other and start cybering... So I end up filtering emote when I fish as well...

That one's new to me... eww.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
K now that NCAA is out I'm gonna cancel my FFXI for the summer. Does anyone have a link showing how to do that?

Xaerus

Truelize said:
K now that NCAA is out I'm gonna cancel my FFXI for the summer. Does anyone have a link showing how to do that?

Just cancel your content ID, it's in the same place you buy one. Don't get rid of POL though. It'll only be saved for 3 months though, so be careful.

Kintaro

I'm having a damn good time lately as MNK. Currently 2.5k out from lvl 40. So I'm taking the time to farm for the equipment I want for myself. Some Snipers, Jujitsu Gi, and Brown Belt. Total, around 1.3 million. No sweat though.

I'm dabbling in a whole bunch of crafts at the same time, and find ing more and more ways to make gil. I tell ya, it's damn cool. I know that I will have those Cross Counters by lvl 50 =)

Things are so damn fun right now =)

Mock

Banned
I haven't stayed on the crafting thing much, but I've noticed that if I constantly try to get my cooking skill up that it gets me nowhere. However, if I just do it every once in a while, I make progress.

People say cooking isn't profitable enough at higher levels. What is?

Kintaro

Mock said:
I haven't stayed on the crafting thing much, but I've noticed that if I constantly try to get my cooking skill up that it gets me nowhere. However, if I just do it every once in a while, I make progress.

People say cooking isn't profitable enough at higher levels. What is?

All I know is to research your AH and see what is selling, and how to aqcuire the goods to get in on the action. Then STFU. Anytime you say a damn thing, it's all over. However, in general, SMithing and Goldsmithing is very profitable at high lvls, however, it's also VERY expensive to maintain.

Xaerus

Mock: I think it starts getting profitable when you can make mithkabobs. Generally though, you'll want to farm the ingredients if you can.

I agree with Kintaro over smithing and goldsmithing. That darksteel/gold stage is terrible.

Tabris

No, I don't want it for cyber-sex :p

I just think it would be neat to meet up with friends in their respective moghouses.

Kintaro

Shouta said:
Oh man, did Shenmu and Xaerus become fat cats? =O

Well, Shen got fat after eating all the fish he catches. Xaerus is kind of rubbery anyways. Always has been.

Actually...our LS has a good number of Mithra...probably outnumber the rest of the races...weird. o_O

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
a change...

And I was really gonna come back on..really...well...after I play more ToS...and other stuff...

oooh crap, I still have CoH going on too...

neptunes

clock-001.jpg

u guys need it and it's comming to the states when the expansion is released.

Top Bottom