• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Greenlights First Docu-Series, ‘Chef’s Table,’ for 2015. From Jiro dir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Netflix, hungrily expanding its original documentaries lineup, has ordered its first original docu-series, “Chef’s Table” from filmmaker David Gelb, which profiles six of the world’s top culinary artists.

Six-part series will premiere in 2015 in all territories where Netflix is available. The company made the announcement at the Toronto International Film Festival.

“We want to continue to support the best in nonfiction storytelling,” said Lisa Nishimura, Netflix’s VP of original documentary and comedy. “While some stories are best told as feature length films, others, like ‘Chef’s Table,’ greatly benefit from being able to communicate their story in a multi-episodic fashion. We’re fortunate to have the flexibility to match the story with the best format.”

Gelb’s credits include directing and producing docu “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” from City Room Films. “Chef’s Table” is exec produced by David Gelb, Matt Weaver, Andrew Fried of Boardwalk Pictures and Brian McGinn. Series is directed by Gelb, Andrew Fried, Brian McGinn and Clay Jeter. WME negotiated the sale of “Chef’s Table” to Netflix.

Chefs featured in the docu-series are: Ben Shewry (of Attica Restaurant in Melbourne, Australia), Magnus Nilsson (Fäviken in Järpen Sweden), Francis Mallmann (El Restaurante Patagonia Sur in Buenos Aires, Argentina), Niki Nakayama (N/Naka Restaurant in Los Angeles), Dan Barber (Blue Hill in New York City and Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, N.Y.) and Massimo Bottura (Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy). A dish from L.A.’s Niki Nakayama is pictured, above.

This will be must watch for me. Jiro was great, so more stuff like this is great.

I've seen some great documentaries following chefs from high profile restaurants on Netflix, Jiro being one of them. This concept reminds me of the doc on Netflix called "Three Stars". Several head chefs from Michelin-starred restaurants are profiled in their day-to-day activities, philosophies, and restaurant preparation/management. It's pretty interesting. There's another one I really enjoyed that follows the head chef of the now closed Spanish restaurant El Bulli around and shows all the insane experimental dishes he tries to concoct in the off season while they're closed. That's called "El Bulli Cooking in Progress" which is also on Netflix. Bourdain got me addicted to these kinds of shows/films. Eager to see this series cause the Jiro one is one of my faves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom