• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Pulls Out of Cannes Following Rule Change

llien

I'd rather call it "is kicked out":

Netflix and Cannes are breaking up, at least for now. On Wednesday, Netflix chief Ted Sarandos said that the streaming platform won't be sending any films to the prestigious French festival, formally severing the strained relationship between the two power players. The decision was a long time coming, after Cannes established a rule that forbade films without a theatrical distribution plan from its competition. From, a report:

In an exclusive interview with Variety, Netflix's chief content officer says that the festival sent a clear message with a new rule that bans any films without theatrical distribution in France from playing in competition. Netflix could screen some of its upcoming movies out of competition, but Sarandos says that doesn't make sense for the streaming service. "We want our films to be on fair ground with every other filmmaker," Sarandos says. "There's a risk in us going in this way and having our films and filmmakers treated disrespectfully at the festival. They've set the tone. I don't think it would be good for us to be there."

Netflix made a big splash at the prestigious film festival last year with two movies that showed in competition: Bong Joon-ho's "Okja" and Noah Baumbach's "The Meyerowitz Stories." But after the 2017 announcement, French theaters owners and unions protested the inclusion of these films to Thierry Fremaux, the artistic director of Cannes. Netflix was amenable to having their movies play on big screens in France, but a law in the country requires movies to not appear in home platforms for 36 months after their theatrical release.

Wow, that's crazy.

Pure protectionism at play from local theaters/Cannes. Also that law about 36 months after release is completely archaic.

Weather a film plays in a theater or not has no bearing on the quality or artistic merit of the film in question.

I would wager that along with the stated protests there is likely some bias from upper management about the "low brow" streaming service taking away the artistry of the "Cinema Theater Experience".

I think you would be hard pressed to find reasonable people who would place any blame at Netflix' feet for this.

Who needs Scorsese when you can have yet another shitty Romanian drama engineered to win over the Cannes audience?
Cannes is an even bigger sham than the Oscars. Le Marche du Film is the real news there, not the awards. Netflix is probably still a part of that.

Top Bottom