• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new ds pics...(on an angle)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
A 3 year gap seems fine for the handheld market. At least consumers think so, considering how well GBC & GBA managed it.

the problem I see is that GBC was basically just an extension of the normal gameboy. DS is an entire revamp. I am worried about this DS stuff. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot trying to outdo Sony. Just my opinion though. Probably will be wrong :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Sp3eD said:
the problem I see is that GBC was basically just an extension of the normal gameboy. DS is an entire revamp. I am worried about this DS stuff. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot trying to outdo Sony. Just my opinion though. Probably will be wrong :)

Or maybe they are trying to conquer the cell phone market.

jarrod

Banned
Sp3eD said:
Sure DS has some dramatic differences seperating it from the GB line but that's what Nintendo wants evidently. DS is something different, they're expirmenting here.

GBC however was a different format from GB entirely... using the same logic, GBA is also only an extension of the normal GameBoy, meaning DS actually has a 15 year gap ahead of it. ;)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
jarrod said:
Sure DS has some dramatic differences seperating it from the GB line but that's what Nintendo wants evidently. DS is something different, they're expirmenting here.

GBC however was a different format from GB entirely... using the same logic, GBA is also only an extension of the normal GameBoy, meaning DS actually has a 15 year gap ahead of it. ;)

I understand about the experament part, however I was calling the GBC an extension of the Gameboy because of how Nintendo worked the exclusive games for it into their release schedule. When GBC came out many games supported both old GB's and then maybe a pallet addition of colors for Color owners (see the DX series). It took them several monthes to phase in color only games. DS is like the GBA was before it. New system, new games. It just comes as a shock to me that DS follows GBA so close. Again that is just me though. Judging from sales, and how people are just gobling up the new $80 GBA's most of America at least (yeah I know limited scope) doesn't even know another gameboy is coming. Maybe it is just me though, but I haven't heard them asking for another gameboy like they were when GBA was close either....

I just don't agree with DS. I am the minority :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lost Weekend said:
This isn't the primaries and I'm not running for president of the handheld kingdom

Then why all the spin doctoring and mudslinging?

Lost Weekend said:
I guess the NDS is getting a little too real; a little too close to those who somehow convinced themselves that the PSP had any real chance :)

No one focuses as much attention on an opponent that's clearly an also-ran, as you have on the PSP.

jarrod

Banned
Sp3eD said:
however I was calling the GBC an extension of the Gameboy because of how Nintendo worked the exclusive games for it into their release schedule. When GBC came out many games supported both old GB's and then maybe a pallet addition of colors for Color owners (see the DX series). It took them several monthes to phase in color only games. DS is like the GBA was before it. New system, new games.
That's not really true, the first Color only games came just 2 months after GBC's debut. 95% of the GBC library is Color only in fact, the only real GB compatible GBC games were Color rereleases of old GB games mainly (Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX, Pocket Bomberman, Tetris DX, etc) and almost all came within the system's first 6 months on the market. Besides, there was plenty of overap bewteen GBC and GBA also, with several GBC games having Advance enhancements (Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Shantae, etc) and the same might happen with GBA games on DS... there's some level of software overlap between all these transitions, GB/GBC is hardly unique.

Imo, they're shooting themselves in the foot by not trying to outgun Sony.
This machine has less graphics processing capabilities and will cost less.
Just imagine if it was on even footing with the psp as far as graphics and also had the two screens, and something like UMD. It'd probably cost $500, but it'd be better than the PSP.

Deg

Banned
Heliocentric said:
Imo, they're shooting themselves in the foot by not trying to outgun Sony.
This machine has less graphics processing capabilities and will cost less.
Just imagine if it was on even footing with the psp as far as graphics and also had the two screens, and something like UMD. It'd probably cost $500, but it'd be better than the PSP.

GBASP is already doing that job. ;) How many sold now? This is gonna be worser than the Ps2 and Xbox/GC divide.

nubbe

psp_wince.jpg

You guys are missing something... WinCE on PSP?! OMgz?11

GDGF

Soothsayer
kaching said:
Then why all the spin doctoring and mudslinging?

No one focuses as much attention on an opponent that's clearly an also-ran, as you have on the PSP.

Hey, i'm a sadistic bastard who also happens to enjoy console wars, what can I say? :)

snapty00

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Hey, i'm a sadistic bastard who also happens to enjoy console wars, what can I say? :)
Yeah, but it gets to the point where it's just stupid -- not "stupid funny" but just stupid. Your trolling needs some work, guy.

Top Bottom