• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ghibli DVDs Delayed to 2005 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Digital Bits is reporting that Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, and Porco Rosso have been pushed back to a 2005 release date in order to coincide with the US theatrical release of Howl's Moving Castle. Also, Amazon.com has changed their release date listing from 8/31/04 to TBA.

Link

Discuss. I gotta catch a train. :)

Yep... it's true, and it sucks. This trend of movie companies delaying DVDs to coincide with theatrical releases needs to stop.

MASB

Disney never misses a trick when it comes to synergy, so this doesn't surprise me. I wonder if this also means the delay of the Ghibli non-Miyazaki films rumored/confirmed for November 2004.

bjork

KingGondo said:
Weeeeaaak.

I need my Miyazaki fix: I've worn out my Kiki, Laputa, Mononoke, and Spirited Away DVDs!

It's impossible to wear out Kiki.

Also, the old Totoro release can be had for like $5.88 at Wal-Mart and Best Buy stores, so there's a small fix for you.

The Fox Totoro release is so awful that I cannot recommend even getting it to hold yourself off for Disney's release.

Why delay all of these till then? I wouldn't mind as much if one (or even two) were, but all three?

bjork

Semjaza Azazel said:
The Fox Totoro release is so awful that I cannot recommend even getting it to hold yourself off for Disney's release.

Why is that? Dub's fine, music's the same. No extra features, but who cares about that?

Well, perhaps I was exaggerating...

For me, it was a turn off. The transfer is not very good, it's pan and scan and the fact that you are stuck with the dub is a major issue for me. Not even giving an option to listen to the Japanese vocals really bothers me.

But I suppose for $5 it can be worth picking up for some people. For me, I'd rather just wait and not tarnish my memories of the film lol.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if this is true (which I suppose it is), then I guess my primary reason for not buying the Japanese Special Edition Nausicaa with 12" Nausicaa statue and Ohmu figurine is gone now...

Damn, this really sucks. I was looking forward to all of them, Nausicaa especially. Howl's Moving Castle might not be released until fall of 2005, which means that it could be well over a year before we see these!

Asbel

KingGondo said:
Weeeeaaak.

I need my Miyazaki fix: I've worn out my Kiki, Laputa, Mononoke, and Spirited Away DVDs!

What about Castle of Cagliostro? ;) I hadn't seen other Lupins before but still enjoyed this movie.

Think I'll pick up the Fox copy of Totoro now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom