• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New graphics card; YAY! New problem; NAY!

Brannon

Aquired a Radeon 9600 SE 128MB and was having lots of fun with it. Many more games are beautifully playable. But then something drastically awful happened. A stick of RAM went bad.

GOD DAMN IT.

I can finally play Far Cry decently and one my RAM sticks goes bad? Now I'm down to 256 from 512. This makes Far Cry.... cry. Obviously I'm going to have to invest in a single 512 stick so this problem may be alleviated.

And that's my rant for today. Already feeling the sluggishness.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
First, of all, I don't know why you went with an SE. Its a very crippled 9600. Should have gone for Pro, or XT.

2nd, farcry needs a Gig of RAM.

Man, that sucks. Is that card any good? I was thinking of picking up either that or the Radeon 9550 256mb, both are around the same price ($100-120 cdn)

Brannon

First, of all, I don't know why you went with an SE.

My old GeForce 4 MX 64MB was still under warranty at Best Buy but they couldn't give me a new one so they traded me up to the most equal-powered card that was comparable in price. For the hour that it ran Far Cry before the RAM went bad it was very impressive. I'm not about to be picky about free hardware especially when the sales clerk almost remembered a lesser-powered card to hand over.

And yeah, I need to stop being a cheapass and fork over some money for a gig, but the niggardly bastard in me keeps kicking me in the nuts. One day though...

pestul

DJ Brannon said:
My old GeForce 4 MX 64MB was still under warranty at Best Buy but they couldn't give me a new one so they traded me up to the most equal-powered card that was comparable in price. For the hour that it ran Far Cry before the RAM went bad it was very impressive. I'm not about to be picky about free hardware especially when the sales clerk almost remembered a lesser-powered card to hand over.

And yeah, I need to stop being a cheapass and fork over some money for a gig, but the niggardly bastard in me keeps kicking me in the nuts. One day though...
Heck.. it's not a bad card at all when it's free.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What program is useful to figure out if RAM is bad? I just got a new video card too and I found my games locking up for some reason. Maybe it's bad RAM but I doubt it, but I still want to check. I think I need to reformat cause I went from a Geforce to a Radeon, and I think the drivers are fucking up

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why do people buy such sh!tty grfx cards when great ones can be had for the same amount of money, or a little more?

*shrug*

Top Bottom