• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Half Life 2 screens...

can't wait for this :D

phl_c17_Slide15_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide16_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide17_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide19b_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide20_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide22_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide23_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide24_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide02_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide05b_hi.jpg

phl_c17_Slide13b_hi.jpg

http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/index8.shtm

Bregor

There is also a new bink video out on the net. It's very short, and has no new footage, but has the best image quality seen yet.

Bregor

Oh, and the screenshots above are supposedly from a Siggraph demonstration by Valve's art director Viktor Antonov, so they probably are at the absolute highest quality settings.

yoyoma!
outside envoirments are much more interesting than interior, and i dont think HL2 will cripple anyones pc. it will look good on most i am sure.

heres to the pre-cache!

shibbs

Nice, this is the main reason i got my 9800 pro :)

ZombieSupaStar said:
wasnt doom 3 more demanding than HL2 tho?
I cant remember the specs

I believe these are the minimal specs:

1.2GHz processor
256MB
DirectX 7 videocard

Tenguman

That tower shot has to be a render. For one, it's not the same aspect-ratio as the rest. And the detail in the shadowing and textures on the buildings is a lot better than the other shots.

DCX

DCX
Tasty, very tasty. Now i do want to know how good it will run on my PC. Doom III looks great, but i fear Half Life II might not.

DCX

SyNapSe

Holy jeebus,

Those shots are amazing. I should get to see that the next time I upgrade my video card :( My 9600XT should play it decent, but not like that.

Bregor

Tenguman said:
That tower shot has to be a render. For one, it's not the same aspect-ratio as the rest. And the detail in the shadowing and textures on the buildings is a lot better than the other shots.

I am halfway suspicious that they are all renders, or perhaps at a detail level that won't be playable in the game.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Yeah, that probably is a render, oh well, its a testament to Valve that you can't "instantly" say "aha! Render!" when looking at it and the other pictures.

Anyways, awesome! about time we had some new media from the game, perhaps its a good sign that it indeed is almost ready for completion. A new video would be nice though, but I doubt Valve would release anything now and just make us wait until the final version ships :(

Oh well, PC is getting some damn fine FPS love this year and next. First Far Cry, then Doom 3, now HL2, and STALKER and FEAR for next year. Awesome times.

EDIT: And of course I'm very glad that Valve is using ATi for this game rather than Nvidia like Id. Now I won't have to worry about my 9800XT not performing properly.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I have a feeling (and I would assume) that Valve used the games "delay" to optimize the graphical output more than was expected. Anyway, the pictures bring back all my excitement for this title. And I'm curious to see if the Alien Tower will actually be constructing itself in real-time as I've heard from Gabe.

robertsan21 said:
oh my god this looks amazing..will it be coming to a console?

Unless they're going to surprise everyone with an XBOX 1 release, I'd think that the most likely candidate, barring any sort of exclusivity deal made by Sony/Nintendo, will be XBOX 2. Of course, by then, it'll be a full year or more older.

Slo

morbidaza said:
This would be pretty unimpressive for a next gen console if it did come to one. It'd be like bringing quake 3 to xbox.

You're going to be pretty disappointed by next gen consoles.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Ok, the BINK video worked, and I'm drooling like an institutionalized fool. It was a short movie, but still it gave me goosebumps.

I also found it funny at least that I think I saw one of those monsters from HL1 (the guys who shot out green lightning) acting as a lab assistant.

Slo said:

Technically this isn't even as demanding as Doom 3, and yet we are getting Doom 3 on xbox this generation.

Are you saying Doom 3 wont be rather bland for a next gen console as well?

Think about this....every "next" generation console is capable of displaying signifigantly better graphics at high framerates than it's previous iteration could manage even at abysmal framerates.

Doom 3 will be cake for next gen systems, as will this.

Add to that the fact that it has been stated that Unreal Engine 3 is partially aimed at the upcoming crop of consoles (I beleive they've stated they have something under development for one, although haven't stated which), which is leagues beyond this in terms of complexity, and i think it's fair to say this will be rather unimpressive graphically for a next gen console.

morbidaza said:
Technically this isn't even as demanding as Doom 3, and yet we are getting Doom 3 on xbox this generation.

I dunno about that. I mean, yeah, I guess for want of CPU horsepower, D3 is more demanding...but in terms of content and the RAM to store it in, a current console will have a hard time dealing with HL2, IMO. Certainly, the options are much lower detail in content (NO!) or much more loading and possible redesign of maps (NO!)... Maybe I'm wrong, but really, I can't see next-gen launch software looking to destroy HL2. I can certainly see it being old-looking by the second gen of software, though.

Ranger X

Doom3 and Half-life 2 are going to be your minimum quality visuals for the next gen for console imo. (or the first generation of game in general may look that pro)

epmode

Bregor said:
I am halfway suspicious that they are all renders, or perhaps at a detail level that won't be playable in the game.
from what i can tell, about 3/4 of them aren't renders. i only know because i've seen video clips of the same areas.

the tower is definately concept art. i've seen that shot before.

Bregor

Slo said:

I agree with this. The problem isn't going to be the power of the next gen consoles, but the time and skill necessary to make a game look this good.

Perhaps the problem is me, because I just don't really see what you guys find to look so good about this game. Aside from a couple of shaders, this is basically UT2k4 level stuff. There really isn't anything overly fancy going on.

shuri

Banned
morbidaza said:
Doom 3 will be cake for next gen systems, as will this.

I really doubt that even the next gen will be able to run Doom3 at the same level than the pc version

60fps at ultra high quality would be impressive ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Both Far Cry and Doom 3 will remain more demanding than HL2...but that's a good thing. HL2 looks very good, but it isn't really just the technology...the actual design of the worlds is fantastic. This should run very well on most machines...

I really doubt that even the next gen will be able to run Doom3 at the same level than the pc version

Where do you get THAT idea? I'm sure the same pattern that we always see will occur once again. You get a new console, that looks incredible...and after a couple years, the PC finally starts to catch up and exceed. Late in the consoles lifetime, the PC stands well above it. When the nextgen consoles launch, however, they tend to leapfrog PCs by quite a wide margin. From there, PCs then spend the next 2-3 years catching up again.

I'd imagine nextgen consoles will stand even above Unreal 3...

Nobody knows for sure, but a lot of you seem to be setting your sights VERY low and I think you will all be shocked (though you shouldn't be, as this is normal).

Drexon

Banned
shuri said:

60fps at ultra high quality would be impressive ;)
Can this comp do ultra high?

AMD64 3000+
1024 DDR
Radeon 9800 Pro

Drexon said:
Can this comp do ultra high?

AMD64 3000+
1024 DDR
Radeon 9800 Pro

The radeon 9800 could hold it back from ultra....but high should be just fine for it. For the record, high and ultra high look EXTREMELY close in quality (only difference is high has compressed specular maps).

dark10x said:
Where do you get THAT idea? I'm sure the same pattern that we always see will occur once again. You get a new console, that looks incredible...and after a couple years, the PC finally starts to catch up and exceed. Late in the consoles lifetime, the PC stands well above it. When the nextgen consoles launch, however, they tend to leapfrog PCs by quite a wide margin. From there, PCs then spend the next 2-3 years catching up again.

always was and hopefully always will be that way

Top Bottom