• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New iMacs due out in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
From Apple's website (http://www.imac.com/imac/):
iMac Availability
Apple has stopped taking orders for the current iMac as we begin the transition from the current iMac line to an all-new iMac line which will be announced and available in September. We planned to have our next generation iMac ready by the time the inventory of current iMacs runs out in the next few weeks, but our planning was obviously less than perfect. We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers.
Wonder what they will look like...

Seems like Apple may have messed up: pre-emptively stopping production on the current iMacs in favor of the new ones that will be announced (though now not surprisingly) in September.

golem

Pochacco said:
Seems like Apple may have messed up: pre-emptively stopping production on the current iMacs in favor of the new ones that will be announced (though now not surprisingly) in September.

i dont think corporations stop production on a computer just to screw themselves financially.. more likely they have too much stock already and need to get rid of as much as possible before the new models hit

Timbuktu

i dont think corporations stop production on a computer just to screw themselves financially.. more likely they have too much stock already and need to get rid of as much as possible before the new models hit.

that isn't it, since Apple has 'stopped taking orders' and 'the inventory of current iMacs runs out in the next few weeks', meaning Apple won't actually have a consumer desktop to sell for a few months. I've never known of this kind of problem before, usually having too much inventory is the problem. There's probably a critical problem with a supplier or in the design, but I don't understand why they can't just make a few more of the current models until september. This is just strange, Apple never talked about a future product like this before. Anyway, a new iMac is exciting.

Alcibiades

either way, I'm glad I waited, hopefully these new ones will be a pretty upgrade, since I plan on getting one within the next two years...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's actually quite a surprising thing for a company to admit. We screwed up -- we switched over production to the new iMac, but it's not going to be ready for another few months so all we can do is wait.

I bet it goes back to Fishkill, NY and ongoing yield problems...

Alcibiades

This actually isn't a bad strategy if you ask me:

-people that just bought one are going to be happy receiving theirs knowing they won't be available for a few months even though they'll be upgraded, so it's not like a one-day/next-day situation where there was an upgrade the day after ordering one...

-the people that didn't get to order will feel like waiting isn't so bad since if they had bought one now, an upgrade would have been right around the corner...

Rumors have suggested that the new iMacs will look very much like the new displays they just unveiled. The motherboard will be mounted directly behind the display. I'd assume the CD/DVD tray would eject out the side of the unit. There are rumors that it will be mountable so it can hang from something. It will also susposedly include a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Those are all rumors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom