• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJonsson said:
Is the iSkin really good?

It's 35 bucks Canadian so I need to be sure it's the bomb diggity

I got one and I barely use it for now. It's kind of thick and doesn't fit in my belt clip. However, I can see myself using it when I'm back in school in september.

The only thing I have against it is that it doesn't have any screen protection. So I bought myself a pack of PDA screen protectors and cut them accordingly. WIN!

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Haha fart, good to see there's other GAers eagerly awaiting the long awaited firmware upgrades from iRiver. I post every now and then at misticriver too.

When I first started reading this thread I was a bit concerned that I should have waited a month and got one of these new 4G iPods, but now at the 6th page, I'm glad I stuck with iRiver for some reason. Made me realise how it's served its purpose to what I needed from a HDD player. Hurrah.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi. Two questions......

1)which one of these portable players take FLAC files?

2)which one will alow me to awap the default HD with a bigger one like say, Toshiba's new 100GB drive?

1) Rio Karma, iRiver series (I think)

2) Creative Nomad Jukebox 3/NX etc (normal laptop harddrive) easily (assuming you build you computers etc)
Rio Karma with a bit more trouble.

6.8 said:
I got one and I barely use it for now. It's kind of thick and doesn't fit in my belt clip. However, I can see myself using it when I'm back in school in september.

The only thing I have against it is that it doesn't have any screen protection. So I bought myself a pack of PDA screen protectors and cut them accordingly. WIN!

According to iSkins site, the new iSkin does have screen protection and a few of the colours glow in the dark

fart

Savant
iriver H series doesn't play flac, but will play wav (H300s won't ship with wav support but they're supposed to get it by september)

yah, i think everyone with an H series is rolling their eyes at the iriver software team at this point. i'm still happy with it though because quite frankly no other player has the hardware features this thing does, and i'm pretty sure it was a freak accident we got the features in the first place.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
fart said:
iriver H series doesn't play flac, but will play wav (H300s won't ship with wav support but they're supposed to get it by september)

yah, i think everyone with an H series is rolling their eyes at the iriver software team at this point. i'm still happy with it though because quite frankly no other player has the hardware features this thing does, and i'm pretty sure it was a freak accident we got the features in the first place.

fart...wouldn't you agree that a portable player that does not support flac files at this point is a severe disadvantage in comparison to the ones that do?

Don't you feel that Apple are shooting themselves in the foot by not developing their iPods with flac support?

fart

Savant
not really. most people can't tell the difference and don't care. not to mention every major player can play wav sourcefiles, so if you really care you'll just suck it up and use more space. flac compression still doesn't make the files small enough for network distribution a la itunes store and most people, if they rip their own cds, will just go with whatever their software suggests and be happy that they don't have to lug cds around anymore.

when you design the totality of the system from the wants of the majority user to the behavior of the device and the software it interfaces with you have a lot of freedom in say, choosing codecs without alienating consumers. devoting large amounts of engineering time to features wanted by the minority user is usually a great way to waste resources.

THAT MEANS YOU IRIVER

yay i can display lyrics on the lcd i never look at while a song is playing! hooray!

Doesn't Apple have Apple loseless? Isn't that comparable to flac?
Flac reduces about a half doesn't it?
So size is still important...I think ogg is still probably the best lossy codec I've heard anyway..

Seriously I wish Rio would have some deatils of the Karma 2.....

Edited: for fusebox especially

sonatinas

ill just summarize my ipod experience

I bought my ipod the month the first one was released. So, I have had my ipod for over two years. It has been with me through numerous national(usa) and international travels. I have dropped it 3 times, twice on carpet and once on the street. It is pretty scratched up but i can still read the display perfectly. The controls are still perfect. Also, the battery life is at around 6 hours. The new ipods have better battery life, and if people complain so much about battery life what do you do. Is every1 irresponsible about recharging their ipod? When you come home you put your ipod in the charger and thats it. Even if you are at school all day you can still survive battery life unless you are pressing fast foreword every 2 sec through songs because you are indecisive. I wont get another ipod until my first gen dies or I win a contest.

The ipod cant fit all users, competition is for that;however, the ipod has its place and it is the numero uno mp3 player for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom