• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Katamari Damashii thread

pilonv1

Since the other one was lost on the old board and I want those soundtrack links back :(

It arrived today and I might not be able understand what's going on or read most of the story, but I cant put this game down. The opening them is awesome, and it's even more surreal than I expected. Where can I get this soundtrack?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
evilromero said:
Is this that Tactical Strat-RPG???? If so I'm very interested. That genre is slowly becoming my favorite.

*cries*

Anyway, thanks for the music.
Btw, if you did that yourself, you know how to correctly capture audio!
I'm impressed, not many know how

Suikoguy said:
Btw, if you did that yourself, you know how to correctly capture audio!
I'm impressed, not many know how

I did, and thank you! It was basically my first and only rip - the only one I've released on any kind of wide scale, at least - and didn't seem so hard to figure out. I honestly do prefer its long tracks to the OSTs shortened versions, since the sound quality difference is basically negligible. The OST is definitely worth buying, though, if for no other reason than to support the awesome musicians who brought us SOTY 2004. The rad liner notes (with lyrics!) don't hurt, either. :D

Miburou

Bought it, played it for a bit, and still don't know what all the fuss is about. Laugh at me or cry for my sake if you want.

Where's the best (cheapest, reliable) place to order Katamari Damashi from? I just recently acquired the ability to play imports, and I think I have to get this game.

pilonv1

Bobbyconover = MVP of GA. Just completed the stage with all the crabs. Top stuff.

Lik-Sang are more expensive but have free shipping, while Play Asia are cheaper but you have to pay shipping. Since I've ordered from Lik-Sang before they were my choice.

Good lord. So much for asking questions and getting a simple responses. I'm sorry I don't keep track of every game that comes through the pipeline, especially one about a rolling ball of trash. Please excuse me if I can't keep my games straight.

evilromero said:
Good lord. So much for asking questions and getting a simple responses. I'm sorry I don't keep track of every game that comes through the pipeline, especially one about a rolling ball of trash. Please excuse me if I can't keep my games straight.

Apology not accepted!

Mrbob

So when is the NA release?

I want to play this game but I don't have the ability to play imported games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
evilromero said:

Oh don't worry, we understand. The game lacks the Nintendo brand-name and, as such, would obviously recieve little to no attention from you. :p Ignoring the large number of unique and original titles found on other platforms is exactly what allows a Nintendo fan to continue to claim that Nintendo themselves stands alone in terms of making high quality, quirky titles. Go on, you may remain in that special dreamland.

BuddyC

evilromero said:
Is this that Tactical Strat-RPG???? If so I'm very interested. That genre is slowly becoming my favorite.

sad.gif

Belfast

evilromero said:

google. you have no excuse.

edit: yeah, the only real problem is that the game is too short and kind of easy (special stages are a bit harder, of course).

evilromero said:
Please turn in your gamer license on the way out sir

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
evilromero said:

cry.gif

tobepic.gif

sasimirobot

I will post in here just to show my support for this game! I try to listen to the Soundtrack almost everyday, something about it...

Hope KDII is a little more of a challenge ala Super Monkey Ball or has new modes and is longer.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
is it playable without knowing any japaneese?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
NA NAAAAAAAAAAA NANANANANA NAA NAA NA NAA NAA NANA NA

Anyway, it's cool how Katamari never fails to capture the attention of every person I've showed it to, even people who aren't into games. Hell, I've even impressed some ladies with it. That's some appeal right there! :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
bobbyconover said:
http://www.321stars.com/katamari/

That's the link to my rip of the soundtrack, with "full" length tracks that have lengthy instrumental sections not found in the true OST.
I don't understand how you can be so good to me. I'm downloading it as we speak and I can't wait to hear it.

Thanks for the news about the possible U.S. release, I'm REALLY looking foward to this game!

A winner is not me for not importing it.

Suikoguy

bobbyconover said:
I did, and thank you! It was basically my first and only rip - the only one I've released on any kind of wide scale, at least - and didn't seem so hard to figure out. I honestly do prefer its long tracks to the OSTs shortened versions, since the sound quality difference is basically negligible. The OST is definitely worth buying, though, if for no other reason than to support the awesome musicians who brought us SOTY 2004. The rad liner notes (with lyrics!) don't hurt, either. :D

How on earth did you rip it? Optical Input?
I've downloaded some rips, and the people had no clue what they were doing.

Professional Quality!

pilonv1

Kiriku said:
Anyway, it's cool how Katamari never fails to capture the attention of every person I've showed it to, even people who aren't into games. Hell, I've even impressed some ladies with it. That's some appeal right there! :p

Seeing those ducks singing and the panda's dancing in the opening movie has made every person I've shown the game to burst out laughing. I'm loving it more every minute I play it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Damn this is one awesome soundtrack. It's so amazingly fun to listen to!

So is it Katamari Damashii or Katamari Damacy?

Miburou

TekunoRobby said:
Damn this is one awesome soundtrack. It's so amazingly fun to listen to!

So is it Katamari Damashii or Katamari Damacy?

Katamari Damashii is the correct romanization.

Chrono

Banned
play-asia is down and I can only find the soundtrack on yes-asia. =\

and what is so great about this game? anyone got a link for impressions? people here seem to care mostly for the soundtrack. I actually thought you were talking about an album at first. :p

dark10x said:
Oh don't worry, we understand. The game lacks the Nintendo brand-name and, as such, would obviously recieve little to no attention from you. :p Ignoring the large number of unique and original titles found on other platforms is exactly what allows a Nintendo fan to continue to claim that Nintendo themselves stands alone in terms of making high quality, quirky titles. Go on, you may remain in that special dreamland.

As much as I was burned in this thread, I like this response. I can't deny it.

Also, I simply forgot about this game. But I did at one time know about it. I saw a movie of it here in Japan while I was walking through Akiba one day. Of course I don't have a JPN PS2 so I couldn't even entertain the thought of buying it. I'm Nintendo's bitch after all. I have a reputation to keep here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The game music is indeed awesome. That rip is very high quality. Great work, Bobby. Thanks a bunch.

I sure do hope Namco decides to bring it over, I would certainly look into this game just to experience how unique it is, not to mention the great music.

"Katamari on the Rocks" is sending me into a trance...

Miburou said:

Katamari Damashii is the standard romajization.

Katamari Damarcy is how Namco romajizes it on their home page.

Authentically, Japanese is written using Japanese characters. There's no such thing as a "correct" romajization, though some are certainly more common/accepted than others.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks Miburou!

I'm getting a major kick out of "YOU ARE SMART." Oh man this is the best soundtrack for ANY Tatical Strategy RPG.

Namco I am not worthy. Bring this game over ASAP.

evilromero said:
As much as I was burned in this thread, I like this response. I can't deny it.

We weren't upset with or mocking you. There's enough Katamari love to go around. We were just shocked, SHOCKED, that despite our non-stop evangelism there was someone left who didn't know what this game was.

Miburou said:

Except that it is spelled Katamari Damacy in-game. I say Namco's choice sticks, regardless of the fact that it's technically an incorrect romanization.

How on earth did you rip it? Optical Input?

Nope, just plain old L/R outputs directly into my Sound Blaster. I took great care to get the levels right, but other than that there was no real trick to it!

and what is so great about this game? anyone got a link for impressions? people here seem to care mostly for the soundtrack. I actually thought you were talking about an album at first. :p

On the old forum there was a massive thread with all of us, and many more, gushing about the game itself. We definitely, unquestionably care for the game as much as or more than the soundtrack, but the soundtrack is just so good that it does tend to (rightfully) overshadow the game in the long run. Note that two different people in this thread have said everyone they've showed the game to loved it, and I can say the same. No other game in recent memory has had that kind of appeal, at least not since Parappa the Rapper. That's powerful stuff!

Miburou

JackFrost2012 said:
Katamari Damashii is the standard romajization.

Katamari Damarcy is how Namco romajizes it on their home page.

Authentically, Japanese is written using Japanese characters. There's no such thing as a "correct" romajization, though some are certainly more common/accepted than others.

Well, Romaji is an official Japanese alphabet, so there should be a correct way to write any word.

Miburou said:
Well, Romaji is an official Japanese alphabet, so there should be a correct way to write any word.

What? What are you talking about. Just because an alphabet is standardized doesn't mean that spelling is standardized, too. There's no 1-to-1 established correspondence between romaji and the Japanese writing system. In fact, there's several competing romajization methods in use; most Japanese people tend to conflate them together.

Mock

Banned
Belfast said:
google. you have no excuse.

Every time I google something Japanese, creepy hentai tenticle sex seems to come into the picture. I think that excuse is extremely valid.

Now... WTF are you talking about?

JackFrost2012 said:
We weren't upset with or mocking you. There's enough Katamari love to go around. We were just shocked, SHOCKED, that despite our non-stop evangelism there was someone left who didn't know what this game was.

The funny thing is I think I actually posted in a few threads concerning the game on the old GAF. And I specifically remember being very enamored by this game at the time. But alas, many months later and many brains cells lost and I have all but forgotten about it. But I may pick it up next week when I go into town if it's cheap enough. I just need a boot disc, or something to play it on my USian PS2.

My tag can be "Thinks Katamari Damashii is a Tactical Strategy RPG".

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mock said:
Every time I google something Japanese, creepy hentai tenticle sex seems to come into the picture. I think that excuse is extremely valid.

Now... WTF are you talking about?
It's a Tatical Strategy RPG that was recently released for the Xbox. It's made by an offshoot branch of the creators of Disgea that wanted to make games for the Xbox but due to poor console sales in Japan they were forced to work on the PS2.

This offshoot branch formed their own studio and amazingly was able to contract Namco to do the publishing work for it. Right now it's in the top five sales list (for a Japanese Xbox title this is amazing) and is curently sold out in many famous cities.

Miburou

JackFrost2012 said:
What? What are you talking about. Just because an alphabet is standardized doesn't mean that spelling is standardized, too. There's no 1-to-1 established correspondence between romaji and the Japanese writing system. In fact, there's several competing romajization methods in use; most Japanese people tend to conflate them together.

Well, I did not know that. I thought the romaji alphabet (and every letter's counterpart in kana) I was taught in books was the standard one.

Chrono

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
It's a Tatical Strategy RPG that was recently released for the Xbox. It's made by an offshoot branch of the creators of Disgea that wanted to make games for the Xbox but due to poor console sales in Japan they were forced to work on the PS2.

This offshoot branch formed their own studio and amazingly was able to contract Namco to do the publishing work for it. Right now it's in the top five sales list (for a Japanese Xbox title this is amazing) and is curently sold out in many famous cities.

wait they were forced to work on PS2 instead of xbox.. but now it's in the top five games as an XBOX game...? o__O;

sasimirobot

Actually there is an official japanese romanization called "Kunreisiki ", which is the most linguistically logical and accecpted form, yet not the most popular. It differs from the Hepburn system in the following ways:

Hepburn/Kunreisiki
shi=si
tsu=tu
chi=zi

There are more differences but I dont want to go into a rant about something only 1% of this board would understand.

I actually prefer it as can be seen by my name "sasimirobot".

In this official form ,the name of the game would be correctly spelled-

Katamari Damasii

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Chrono said:
wait they were forced to work on PS2 instead of xbox.. but now it's in the top five games as an XBOX game...? o__O;
Yeah it's crazy. These ex-Disgea developers use to be PC-centric and they worked on many popular games such as the original Warcraft and Kohan. They banded together early on and the Disgea guys hired them all. They made two PS2 games but ultimately they were unhappy and left the company.

Very recently they publicly announced the name of their company and released a game shortly after. It took everyone by suprise and is right now doing circles around any other Tatical Strategy RPG on the market.

Top Bottom