• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Packaging

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey folks. I have the initial US release of Metroid Prime. I've been toying with the idea of putting down 20 for the Player's Choice version, since I understand that they included some fixes and changes that they implemented in the later European release. But I held off.

Two days ago, as I was buying X-Men Legends and FFXI CoP Expansion, I noticed a NEW release of Metroid Prime. It mentioned, in the corner, coming with the MP2E Bonus Disc. And, it doesn't say Player's Choice on the packaging.

Now, I have the Bonus Disc, but I'd LOVE to be able to store it in a GCN case, as this one seems to allow you to do. So, my question is, does this new packaging still contain the updated PC version of Metroid Prime?

If so, PC MP + Bonus Disc for 20 bucks = sold.

Thanks in advance.

Mejilan

Yeah? Well, apparently stores are selling this separately too. Either that, or it's just this one store I go to. Anyone know if it's the PC improved version?

Holy fuck. I just learned that the NDS comes out the day before my birthday, for $150, with a Metroid Prime Hunters playable demo. Pwn.

cvxfreak

It might be a used copy, or a display case. But in any case, it probably matches the PC Metroid.

Besides, why not just buy it again and swap covers and trade in your old one with the PC label? :D

Spike

Mejilan said:
Nope, not used. They had a couple, and they were all sealed.

That's because they are brand new. ;)

What store did you get this from? I know that there are some stores that are selling this seperately for $10 more than the PC Metroid Prime. They shouldn't be, but they are. That's how I got mine. :D

And to answer your initial question, yes this is the updated version of Metroid Prime.

Deku Tree

Mejilan said:
Anyone know if it's the PC improved version?

It is the PC version... but the PC version is not "improved" if you want to sequence break and/or try a speed run. From what I understand, the PC version basically "fixes" a bunch of glitches that made it possible to do some key sequence breaks that allow you to beat the game faster if your good enough.

Mejilan

Thanks for telling me. I'll go and pick one up tomorrow. They're selling 'em for 20 bucks, and when I asked where they came from, they told me that this is what they were shipped when they reordered MP after selling out their last PC copies last week. This store (Game Trade in downtown Manhattan, NY) does not get special promotions, preorder bonuses, and console bundles.

Mejilan

Yes. They claim to have received these new MPs in lieu of the PC MPs they recently sold out of.

Mejilan

Yep, picked it up on Friday. It is indeed only 20 dollars. The PC MP + the MP2E bonus disc in a new MP case without the PC "brand of shame."

Alcibiades

more than likely, some small-time store/chain owners bought Metroid Bonus Cube bundles, then took out the game and removed the outer packaging on the Cube box (so it looked regular again), then sold the Cube for regular price and sold the game for full margin on it.

I know of someone (on an investor message board) that bought like 100 (or more?) last year when Wal-Mart had $80 Cubes w/ the free Zelda disc.

Unless it actually says Player's Choice on the cover, Nintendo isn't doing regular shipments of it. There is a really, really, really tiny possibility that Nintendo had a few discs they wanted to get rid of and sold a few to some fringe suppliers that weren't going to cause the version to end up next to PC versions at regular retailers, but even then I doubt it...

Grubdog

Banned
Mejilan on 09-24-2004 10:37 AM said:
Holy fuck. I just learned that the NDS comes out the day before my birthday, for $150, with a Metroid Prime Hunters playable demo. Pwn.
How did you know? =o

Top Bottom