• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New model PS2 system: Is it possible to play imports using this method?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The new PS2 model coming out is a top-loading system, right?

And the top loader mod to play imports for the old-style PS2 uses converter CDs to play imports by opening up the top-loader door once installed in the PS2.

So would it be possible to use the same converter CDs with the new style PS2, since it's also a top-loading system? I'd love to know; it would save me $200 on importing a Japanese PStwo. :)

(I posted this question in another topic, but no one answered, and I'm really curious to see if anyone "in the know" knows if this would or would not work)

Lyte Edge

Mr_Furious said:
I think you're not gonna hear much until the new units get into circulation.

Yeah, seems like it. It's okay though; I'll be more than willing to test this out if no one else answers before friday. :)

It just seems a little strange to me that no one else has brought this up.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
It could work with those Magic Swap discs to play imports if somehow the door sensor gets jammed with a paperclip or something and as long as the PS2 doesn't sense that the toptray has been ejected when doing the swap... We will find out in a couple of days though :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I kinda doubt it, since popping it open would certainly give it the same "open" command as if you pushed the eject button on the old one, thus nullifying the swap disc.

Gek54

The sesor is a magnet on the hinge of the door, its going to take some work or braking of the hinge to keep it from being set off.

Lyte Edge

It almost sounds like a possible solution could be found very quickly though...

Miburou

Remember the early PS1 days? You could play imports (even backups), using nothing more than a spring. Those were the days.

Lyte Edge

Miburou said:
Remember the early PS1 days? You could play imports (even backups), using nothing more than a spring. Those were the days.

Used to use tape myself. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yes it does.
scej30.jpg

Lyte Edge

Sho Nuff said:
Hey, is that CR3032 going to need to be replaced?

This isn't going to be the Saturn all over again, is it? :/ (though I guess the only thing that could be "lost" is the time setting)

john2kx

Sho Nuff said:
Hey, is that CR3032 going to need to be replaced?

probably not, since it looks like it's rechargeable..

and it's got that green plastic encasing it, so it's not going anywhere.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Well, it's confirmed. The lip off to the right that's on both PS2's serves no purpose. I kind of wish it was perfectly rectangle.

Top Bottom