• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Music Tuesday (5/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak140

B0002858YS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Catchy blend of 80's pop and rock. $6.99 at Best Buy. Buy buy buy.

B000058983.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Was turned on to this band by Calexico's cover of the excellent song "Alone Again Or." Awesome album. Picked it up for nine bucks at Tower.

B0001EKZZU.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Solo album from one of Broken Social Scene's many singers. Different from the music I normally listen to (it's sort of jazzy lounge music), but excellent nonetheless. Had to import it from Canada from the Arts & Crafts label.

B00000I5JL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000003TB9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Been meaning to pick these up for a while. Couldn't resist since they were on sale for $9.99 each at Tower. Good stuff.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The Killers cd is fucking great :D Its like a blend of the Cure,Interpol and all my fav 80's music in one.

If anyone wants to hear the full album for free check it out here,this is the uk version ...

http://www.nme.com/features/108664.htm

The Killers suck ass. Yuck. Their music is so bland and trite... and wickedly overproduced. IMO, of course.

I bought the new Beastie Boys album today. Say what you will about it, but I think it's great.

B00021LRWM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Well said MAF.

Willco

Hollywood Square
MrAngryFace said:
The Beastie Boys suck ass. Yuck. Their music is so bland and trite... and wickedly overproduced. IMO, of course

YOU GOTTA FIGHT

FOR YOUR RIGHT

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CRITIQUE MUSIC ALBUMS!

I can't say the Beastie Boys suck because of what they have done in the past. Paul's Boutique is amazing and they have some other great stuff. Current shit does not undo that.

In any case, I might pick up The Killers and that Love disc just to see how they sound. The CD art has me interested lol

Jason

Jak140 said:
B0001EKZZU.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Solo album from one of Broken Social Scene's many singers. Different from the music I normally listen to (it's sort of jazzy lounge music), but excellent nonetheless. Had to import it from Canada from the Arts & Crafts label.

You sir are a god among men. Definitely in contention for my album of the year.

Meier

+1 The Killers. Had been counting down the days till it came out and at 6.99 an automatic purchase was made even sweeter. Listening to it now and loving it so far. :D

Jak140

Star Power said:
The Killers suck ass. Yuck. Their music is so bland and trite... and wickedly overproduced. IMO, of course.

I bought the new Beastie Boys album today. Say what you will about it, but I think it's great.

Have to disagree with this. The Killers CD is overproduced and sometimes a little trite, but that's kind of the point. It's overblown eighties pop rock, and in a good way, IMO. Sure they haven't hammered out a masterpiece, but the CD is fun and the production gives it a sound that's different from a lot of the other music coming out these days. Besides, how can you not love a song that opens with lyrics like this: "Save some face / You know you've only got one." But, hey, they're not for everyone; I'd put them in the same vein as Franz Ferdinand and Interpol. If you can appreciate them with some synthesizers thrown in for good measure, then you'll like The Killers. If not, well then maybe you shouldn't take music so seriously ;P. Not gonna comment on the Beastie Boys record since I haven't really listened to a CD by them since Paul's Boutique. Good buy on the Sonic Youth CD, though.

Error Macro said:
Is The Killers album anything like Caviar or OK Go? 'Cause if it is, that would be wicked.
I haven't heard of Caviar, but I think they're a bit different from OK Go. OK Go is more '60's pop, than '80's. Still if you like OK Go, you'd probably like The Killers. Try listening to them at that link that Matrix posted
Edit: if you don't want to download Real Player, try this link: http://www.thekillersmusic.com/
Jason said:
You sir are a god among men. Definitely in contention for my album of the year.
Thanks :D. It'll definatley be on my best of the year list too. I love "Mushaboom."

Jak140 said:
Have to disagree with this. The Killers CD is overproduced and sometimes a little trite, but that's kind of the point. It's overblown eighties pop rock, and in a good way, IMO. Sure they haven't hammered out a masterpiece, but the CD is fun and the production gives it a sound that's different from a lot of the other music coming out these days. Besides, how can you not love a song that opens with lyrics like this: "Save some face / You know you've only got one." But, hey, they're not for everyone; I'd put them in the same vein as Franz Ferdinand and Interpol. If you can appreciate them with some synthesizers thrown in for good measure, then you'll like The Killers. If not, well then maybe you shouldn't take music so seriously ;P. Not gonna comment on the Beastie Boys record since I haven't really listened to a CD by them since Paul's Boutique. Good buy on the Sonic Youth CD, though.

Well, I can tolerate Franz Ferdiand (they have a few top tunes), and I adore Interpol, but the Killers are just painfully generic. To each his own though, I will admit to humming that "Somebody Told Me" song occassionally.

Jak140

Star Power said:
Well, I can tolerate Franz Ferdiand (they have a few top tunes), and I adore Interpol, but the Killers are just painfully generic. To each his own though, I will admit to humming that "Somebody Told Me" song occassionally.
I disagree with the generic comment, since, even though their sound is a homage to a lot of other bands, I'm hard pressed to think of another band that sounds exactly like them (they aren't a Staind or Nickelback or Creed, where there are a thousand other bands that have the same sound). Also, they have better songs (with better lyrics) than the one that is played on the radio all the time (Jenny, Mr. Brightside, Under the Gun, and Smile Like You Mean It for instance), but your mind seems made up, so I doubt I'll convince you. I'm just commenting so you don't deter too many people who might have been thinking of checking them out.

I've listened to the whole album a few times, so I'm not judging them based on one song.

But anyway, you guys like them and that's fine.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I bought To The 5 Boroughs by Beastie Boys and The Multi-Platinum Debut LP by Hangar 18 today. The H-18 record is good, but not as good as it could be. "Beatslope" and "Take No Chances" are a couple of the hottest tracks I've heard in ages, though (both were on DJXP3 and were the highlights of the disc for me, save "W.M.R."). It's worth checking out.

My 12" of The Fine Art of Original Sin by Ink & Dagger finally came today, too. <3

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Worked today, and tomorrow is pay day, so... I'm gonna be getting the new Beastie Boys and The Killers. Both are great CDs.

Substance

Important notes to be made:

*Forever Changes by Love is one of the greatest albums ever. Good choice Mr. Thread Starter
*To The 5 Boroughs is the only lacking album the B-Boys have made. Even if it was a joke, MAF needs to restrain himself.

Jak140

Substance said:
Important notes to be made:

*Forever Changes by Love is one of the greatest albums ever. Good choice Mr. Thread Starter

Thanks, I definately agree. It kind of took me by surprise how good it was since I picked it up on a whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom