• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

Shanadeus said:
Probably just full search in addition to the ability to see other poster's previous posts/threads.
Or perhaps not.

© 2011 Shanadeus LLC

blame space said:
searching is so easy on google though

© 2011 blame space enterprises, LLC

Maybe we're getting signatures at the bottom of every post so we can all do this

iNvid02

im getting a canary to post my threads from now on =D

x1zug.png

© ™ ® iNvidious01

Zomba13

Meisadragon said:
So if they ask the thread creator for permission, this is no longer an issue, right?
This is the biggest problem for me. They didn't ask they guy who actually spent the time writing the original post. He is fine with it though so it's not too bad.
If I made a cool thread and it got posted to another site that's be pretty cool. It'd be cooler if I was asked permission and given credit straight away though.

I mean, I get asking EviLore for permission too as it's his forum but not asking the guy who wrote the stuff you're using as an article with ads etc seems like a dick move.

Barrett2

Depending on the jurisdiction, the creation of this thread may or may not act as sufficient publication of the TOS change to be binding. The irony!

Also, Evilore, you now own this. We'll split the profits and live like kings!

125.jpg

ScOULaris

EviLore said:
I don't think the current version of the forum software supports that, actually, or I would have. When we update to the newer software in a few days, in order to get full search back and other features, I can go ahead and do that if it'll clarify things for people.
Um, MEGATON! Once full search (and maybe, ahem, "Find threads started by...") come back, all of this TOS outrage will be forgotten. What's next, return of :lol smiles?

A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

LiK

ScOULaris said:
Um, MEGATON! Once full search (and maybe, ahem, "Find threads started by...") come back, all of this TOS outrage will be forgotten. What's next, return of :lol smiles?

A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Are you mad about this? People are certainly concerned but it was your thread that was chosen.

Ashes

Banned
lawblob said:
Depending on the jurisdiction, the creation of this thread may or may not act as sufficient publication of the TOS change to be binding. The irony!

Also, Evilore, you now own this. We'll split the profits and live like kings!

125.jpg

That's not original.

I imagine this is just to prevent GAF from getting sued by somebody here because there wasn't this TOS before.

People are focusing on Kotaku, but the Destructiod thing is only a few days old and god knows how many other blogs/sites mentioned it. For two days some of the internet was like “Lol, look at those whiny Gaffers” while copypasting or linking to a list of specific posts from users. I'm probably wrong though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Go back to sleep, NeoGAF. You are free to do as we tell you.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
GAF is a place with laughs and groans
We post funny stories, we fight over phones
But along came new strife
"Does GAF own my life?!"
Can no longer call GAF my home...

- A RubxQub Original™​

Mr_Zombie

EviLore said:
It's a non-exclusive license. You still retain ownership/rights to your work. This is a "cover our asses" clause and a "when some site asks me politely if they can highlight some NeoGAF post they think is cool there isn't some huge controversy, even though they could just NOT ask me and republish anyway without anyone giving a damn, like Destructoid just did a few days ago and other sites have done hundreds of times.

This should be put in OT because it seems people coming to this thread are still thinking that it is about license transferring.

Also, can't that long as hell sentence from the ToS be rewritten so it would be easier to understand for us stupid people? The way it sounds now is really confusing.

Shanadeus

Banned
RubxQub said:
"Does GAF own my life?!"

- A RubxQub Original™​
Stolen.

© 2011 Shanadeus, LLC

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If Evilore tries to steal my GAFworks, I will sue GAF into the ground. Wouldn't be hard. Then I'll make a new GAF. It'll be like starting a new civilization from being deserted on an island. We'll make it better.

Secondly, I'd like to state here and now for everyone to see that I am in fact the most brilliant artest of our generation.

-Timedoug, the most brilliant artest of our generation.

iNvid02

Timedog said:
If Evilore tries to steal my GAFworks, I will sue GAF into the ground. Wouldn't be hard. Then I'll make a new GAF. It'll be like starting a new civilization from being deserted on an island. We'll make it better.

Secondly, I'd like to state here and now for everyone to see that I am in fact the most brilliant artest of our generation.

somebody else owns your post

RubxQub said:
"Does GAF own my life?!"

- A RubxQub Original™​
I've already linked this to IGN.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Zomba13 said:
This is the biggest problem for me. They didn't ask they guy who actually spent the time writing the original post. He is fine with it though so it's not too bad.
If I made a cool thread and it got posted to another site that's be pretty cool. It'd be cooler if I was asked permission and given credit straight away though.

I mean, I get asking EviLore for permission too as it's his forum but not asking the guy who wrote the stuff you're using as an article with ads etc seems like a dick move.
They probably thought it was fine since they were giving Scoularis credit for that post, which is pretty cool. Asking for permission from the thread creator will nip this problem at the bud, but hey, we know people are going to argue about this for 15+ pages :p

Anyway, new forum software? Hype!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is not a sellout like the internet users here describe. I like the idea and it gets some of the more focused discussion or content on this forum out there. This place can be the best but at times it can be quite idiotic. I still laugh at the GIF's and such but this move is a small move and won't affect anything about our normal everyday habits here. BUT since some of you like to blow it out of proportion.....

And still, if you're french/from europe, you can force any use of your text/creation to bear your name or pseudonim.

It's the paternity right which can't be sold/given.

Plasmid

Timedog said:

I already bought your post on freepress.

If anyone, lurker or otherwise, would like to contact me about anything including but not limited to: sponsorship or endorsement ideas regarding my boarding, personal thoughts, etc., my email is here: blame.space@gmail.com. I will personally respond to as many emails as I can. This will be a closed-channel, 100% confidential line of communication; I look forward to talking to you soon!

LiK

blame space said:
If anyone, lurker or otherwise, would like to contact me with any sponsorship or endorsement ideas regarding my boarding, my email is here: blame.space@gmail.com. I will personally respond to as many emails as I can. This will be a closed-channel, 100% confidential line of communication; I look forward to talking to you soon!

too late, i sold you already

noah111

Still Alive
Green Scar said:
Hype! :D Can't wait.
Indeed. :D Even if it is just new old shit, can't wait.

Also need to read through the past several pages to understand what the fuck is happening here. :lol

Squirrel Killer said:
EvilLore, perhaps I'm missing it, but I don't see anywhere that limits the license to works posted on NeoGAF. That is to say, as worded, the section seems to say that by registering and participating, I'm giving NeoGAF a license to all my IP, regardless of whether I posted it on NeoGAF or elsewhere.

As I read it, "...such submissions," doesn't constrain the previous, "all ...intellectual property rights you own or control." Perhaps you could post a (legally binding) clarification that "all IP you control" is limited to just that IP which is submitted?
Actually, "such submissions" doesn't even have a clear referent at the moment. Looks like the "By registering an account at NeoGAF.com and participating (including but not limited to submitting replies or private messages)" was grafted badly to the boilerplate following; "such submissions" in the boilerplate looks like it's meant to connect back to where we've got "participating (including..." now.

blame space said:
If anyone, lurker or otherwise, would like to contact me with any sponsorship or endorsement ideas regarding my boarding, my email is here: blame.space@gmail.com. I will personally respond to as many emails as I can. This will be a closed-channel, 100% confidential line of communication; I look forward to talking to you soon!

Your an enterprise now? That was fast.

And this is why I am happy I don't post pictures of myself on the net, and have threaten my entire family telling them not to post pictures of me, if there's a pic of me on the internet it was done without my permission....

Timedog said:

Until the rest of NeoGaf 2 overthrows you and then sodomizes you with a sword....unless that's your plan!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LiquidMetal14 said:
This is not a sellout like the internet users here describe. I like the idea and it gets some of the more focused discussion or content on this forum out there. This place can be the best but at times it can be quite idiotic. I still laugh at the GIF's and such but this move is a small move and won't affect anything about our normal everyday habits here. BUT since some of you like to blow it out of proportion.....
neogafdude26wi.gif

Shanadeus

Banned
blame space said:
If anyone, lurker or otherwise, would like to contact me about anything including but not limited to: sponsorship or endorsement ideas regarding my boarding, personal thoughts, etc., my email is here: blame.space@gmail.com. I will personally respond to as many emails as I can. This will be a closed-channel, 100% confidential line of communication; I look forward to talking to you soon!

I'd like you to endorse me, thanks.
Payment is not available, but I can endorse you back in turn.

Barrett2

Guys, there is an easy workaround to this. Every time you reply to a post, first preview the post. Then print a screen cap of the previewed post. Then mail that printout to yourself via 1st Class registered mail. Then in six months when you see that Evilore bought a new Ferrari by licensing your Pony fan art to Hot Topic, you'll have the goods to blow the whole damn lid off this operation.

All above content, consisting of any media type devised before or after the time of posting, including, but not limited to, text, images, gifs, slogans, catchphrases and Bish'd gifs are the eternal property, regardless of distribution or quoting, of Ubermatik, and may not be edited, modified, added to or reduced in any way, shape or form unless full written consent is given. Ubermatik retains the right to edit his posts and content willingly, and is in no way restricted by content being quoted or distributed. (c) 2011 Ubermaik LLC, all rights reserved.

^ Totally being my signature if we get them.

*N/B The above terms and regulations are subject to change without prior announcement. (c) 2011 Ubermatik LLC all rights reserved.

EviLore said:
Well obviously that's nonsensical and would never hold up legally, but I'll see about making it a little clearer.
I appreciate that.

Of course it's nonsensical in practice, it would be an absurd overreach. (Please note that I'm not accusing you of attempting such an overreach, I think it's just an oversight.) But grammatically it does make sense, "such submissions" refers to "all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights you own or control."

As always, this is your forum, and I'm not arguing against your right to adjust the terms in order for you to continue to provide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom