• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PLAY grades [August]

GAMES:
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (Xbox) A-
Tales Of Symphonia (GC) B+
Spider-Man 2 (all platforms) B+
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (PS2,GC) A-,B
Crimson Tears (PS2) B-
LOZ: Four Swords (GC) A-
Thief: Deadly Shadows (Xbox) B+
Psi-Ops (Xbox) B+
Karaoke Revolution Vol 2 (PS2) C+
McFarlane's Evil Prophecy (PS2) D-
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PS2) A-
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (PS2) A-
Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (Xbox) B-
Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox) B
Puyo Pop Fever (GC) B-
Driv3r (Xbox) D+
Samurai Warriors (Xbox) C+
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA) A-
Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA) A-
GBA Classics - Donkey Kong C+
GBA Classics - Super Mario Bros A-
GBA Classics - Ice Climber D+
GBA Classics - ExciteBike C+
GBA Classics - Legend Of Zelda A-
GBA Classics - Pac-Man C
GBA Classics - Xevious B
GBA Classics - Bomberman B-
Madden NFL 2005 (all platforms) A
NCAA Football 2005 (all platforms) A-

ANIME:
GOTS: Stand Alone Complex A-
Dead Leaves A
Saber Marionette R B+
Ikki-Tousen B

My favorite quote pulled from the mag (referring to McFarlane's Evil Prophecy):
"It's hard to believe this is a Konami game, as it looks and feels more like the type of crap that put 3DO six feet under."

DMczaf

Madden NFL 2005 (all platforms) A

madden2.jpg

Amneziak

aka The Hound
MoxManiac said:
I have no idea about PLAY's credibility but +1 to them for the nice Megaman and SF Anniversary Collection scores.

I've found that they are much more forgiving towards a game's flaws; they are more interested in good ideas and fun gameplay. They also devote a lot more space to games that are overlooked by other mags (eg, Primal, Voodoo Vince), as well as concept art. I think of them as an anti-EGM.

The Hound said:
They also devote a lot more space to games that are overlooked by other mags (eg, Primal, Voodoo Vince)

I prefer to look at it as "They also heap obscene amounts of praise upon totally undeserving games (eg Voodoo Vince, Malice, Haven) that were rightly overlooked by other mags."

jarrod

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA) A-
Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA) A-
GBA Classics - Donkey Kong C+
GBA Classics - Super Mario Bros A-
GBA Classics - Ice Climber D+
GBA Classics - ExciteBike C+
GBA Classics - Legend Of Zelda A-
GBA Classics - Pac-Man C
GBA Classics - Xevious B
GBA Classics - Bomberman B-[/i]
Excellent scores. Though they should switch Bomberman and Excitebike.

Flynn

bobbyconover said:
I prefer to look at it as "They also heap obscene amounts of praise upon totally undeserving games (eg Voodoo Vince, Malice, Haven) that were rightly overlooked by other mags."

or Cover Stories From A Parallel Universe.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
My point is, it's refreshing that Play sets itself apart from the hundred or so other mags that suck off Rockstar or EA every month. Besides, all of them (including Play) cover games in development that eventually become turds.

Flynn

The Hound said:
My point is, it's refreshing that Play sets itself apart from the hundred or so other mags that suck off Rockstar or EA every month. Besides, all of them (including Play) cover games in development that eventually become turds.

You make an excellent point. It's true, Play does offer refreshingly different content. But you have to wonder, is it only because EA and Rockstar won't return their calls?

Amneziak

aka The Hound
Heh, maybe. I remember that their coverage of GTA:VC was limited to about 1/4 of one page (I don't remember which issue, but that month EGM had some 10 or so pages dedicated to it).

Tellaerin

Flynn said:
You make an excellent point. It's true, Play does offer refreshingly different content. But you have to wonder, is it only because EA and Rockstar won't return their calls?

Snide remarks aside, I'd say Play's content reflects Dave Halverson's (well-publicized) personal taste in videogames, rather than some supposed inability to get the goods on more mainstream titles. Play runs lengthy interviews with some producer or developer in practically every issue, which hardly suggests 'media pariah' status.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

...but Voodoo Vince and Haven are actually good games. Much better than certain other "big" platformers (such as Jak and Daxter) that were released...

dark10x said:
...but Voodoo Vince and Haven are actually good games. Much better than certain other "big" platformers (such as Jak and Daxter) that were released...

LOL.

My problem with PLAY is that 1/2 of the damn mag is about Anime which I don't give a **** about. They have a gorgeous layout and nice glossy pages, but they're reviews are all over the place. As the old saying goes, even a broken clock is right two times a day.

dark10x

sonycowboy said:
LOL.

My problem with PLAY is that 1/2 of the damn mag is about Anime which I don't give a **** about. They have a gorgeous layout and nice glossy pages, but they're reviews are all over the place. As the old saying goes, even a broken clock is right two times a day.

"LOL" what?

I hope you aren't suggesting that Jak and Daxter is actually a better game...

dark10x

levious said:
I prefer Jak and Daxter to Haven, can't speak for Voodoo.

I dunno, I prefer variety to "running around finding the same damn item for 10 hours". Jak & Daxter represents everything that's wrong with 3D platformers...

Voodoo Vince is better than both, though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I agree on the structure, but I think control wise, Jak is pretty solid.

dark10x

levious said:
I agree on the structure, but I think control wise, Jak is pretty solid.

Well, Jak has a fantastic graphics engine and great controls...but the actual game design flat out sucks. Haven isn't a great game, but at least it offers much more interesting level design, more variety, better goals, and actual good music. The controls aren't as solid as J&D, of course, but they are decent. Good game design is much more important than just "good controls".

Vince has better controls than both of them, though. I was suprised at how accurate they really are. The game is quite different, however, and often focuses more on puzzle solving. Very unique and fun little game, though.

levious

I've been wanting to give it a try, I definitely will soon.

I wouldn't say that level design is "much" more important than control. I'd view them as equal if anything.

dark10x

Yeah, but...

Great level design + average controls >>>>> Average level design + great controls

While it's a different genre, I can tell you that Devil May Cry 2 controls very well...if you catch my drift. ;)

My take on Play is that it's the only magazine that offers a breath of fresh air compared to the EGMs, GamePros, Game Informers, etc of the biz. It seems like people are taking DH way too seriosly when infact the most important aspect to gaming mags is coverage. While the rest of the magazines seem to cover the exact same titles, Play is the only magazine that devotes space to the more obscure games. I appreciate the magazine on that note alone.

Also, the industry needs more journalists like DH. For better or for worse, Dave's attitude has always been positive and genuine and he truly cares about games. He doesn't single out genres he dislikes and reviews games in that category lowly, unlike majority of the opinionated journalists of competing mags.

Just as I do with every other review, Dave's is taken with a grain of salt but the coverage that Play offers cannot be matched by other print mags sitting in the same rack.

Fresh air? More like the Pocky-and-nicotine stank breath of Dave Halverson exhaled straight into your face. I appreciate that they cover a lot of games that get no real press time, but on the other hand, the coverage they do provide is utter fanboy gibberish.

Pass.

levious

DH is on a western game kick of late.

- fatherhood is supposed to make you more positive/nicer.

Sleep would make me nicer, but positivity has never been my strong suit.

If and when a niche mag comes out that doesn't involve Da Motorcycle Mullet or any other GF alumni, *then* I'll be interested because it might actually be, y'know, READABLE.

Drinky Crow said:
Sleep would make me nicer, but positivity has never been my strong suit.

If and when a niche mag comes out that doesn't involve Da Motorcycle Mullet or any other GF alumni, *then* I'll be interested because it might actually be, y'know, READABLE.
You are being WAY to harsh in your critisisms, in my opinion. It's evident you have something personal against DH/GF/Play. You really place too much importance in what a gaming mag should deliver and Play is quite legible and not the dribble you're painting it out to be. Get some more sleep please.

Top Bottom