• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS2 is NOT PsTwo??

Mentioned this in another thread :-

Seen a lot of people refer to the new designed PS2 as PSTwo. But is it PSTwo?

Supposedly (CVG) this isn't even the PSTwo, just a new PS2... if that makes sense?

PSTwo is still to come next year...

Found it :-
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...y.php?id=110041

Quote:
We should point out that this redesigned PS2 is not PSTwo. It's PS2. It's not a special edition or a novelty, unless you want it to be. This is the replacement for the original overweight PS2, which has recently been in short supply worldwide. Sony have ceased production and shifted to the new, streamlined PS2.

Kind of makes sense seing as the retail box still says PS2 (PSONE actually had that on the box) :-
PSOne
ad_1_b.JPG

Redesigned PS2
vortal_hp_pic_2984.jpg

JMPovoa

As far as i know, PSone was a redesigned PSX console. Smaller and with the same features. How does this new PS2 differ from that??

As far as i know, PSone was a redesigned PSX console. Smaller and with the same features. How does this new PS2 differ from that??

It's a case of splitting hairs I guess - Sony has trademarked the term PSTwo, but the redesigned PS2 has no reference to it...

Kinda confusing

Jonnyram

There's a very good reason why the PSone got that name - the original was just called PlayStation, but the PSone was released after the PS2, so it needed a name that distinguished it from the PS2.

There's little point in arguing over PS2 or PStwo, because when you walk into a shop and ask for one, they both sound the same. But the new boxes do say TWO in the bottom corner, and if you do a google search for PStwo, you'll notice the first site that comes up is the official Sony site.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is I want to know if another redesign will happen in the future...

PSone came out at the same time as the PS2 launch if I remember correctly - was thinking that PStwo might be the same thing.

Of course maybe this is PStwo, though CVG did explicitly state it's NOT.

Quote:
"We should point out that this redesigned PS2 is not PSTwo."

Not that they haven't ever been wrong before :D

As dumb as this debate is to 99% of the populace, it's still worth going over. I for one wouldn't be surprised if we got another, more dramatic make over in the near future, perhaps when the PS3 is launched. Sony seems to have a lot of faith in PS2 technology, hence it's incorporation into the PSX and the PSP.

Fowler

Jonnyram said:
There's a very good reason why the PSone got that name - the original was just called PlayStation, but the PSone was released after the PS2, so it needed a name that distinguished it from the PS2.

There's little point in arguing over PS2 or PStwo, because when you walk into a shop and ask for one, they both sound the same. But the new boxes do say TWO in the bottom corner, and if you do a google search for PStwo, you'll notice the first site that comes up is the official Sony site.

This man speaks the truth.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FortNinety said:
As dumb as this debate is to 99% of the populace, it's still worth going over. I for one wouldn't be surprised if we got another, more dramatic make over in the near future, perhaps when the PS3 is launched. Sony seems to have a lot of faith in PS2 technology, hence it's incorporation into the PSX and the PSP.

PSP ?

gollumsluvslave said:
The main reason I'm bringing this up is I want to know if another redesign will happen in the future...

PSone came out at the same time as the PS2 launch if I remember correctly - was thinking that PStwo might be the same thing.

Of course maybe this is PStwo, though CVG did explicitly state it's NOT.

Quote:
"We should point out that this redesigned PS2 is not PSTwo."

Not that they haven't ever been wrong before :D

Regarding the CVG statement:

If they meant "PS2 is NOT PStwo in that Sony has decided not to call it PStwo" then that's one thing and they should seriously consider policy on misleading and confusing statements.

If they meant "PST is NOT PStwo as in, this PStwo you keep hearing about is actually something entirely different and still to some" then that is just shocking.

Personally Ihave not seen the article. Either way it does not say much.

Mzo

epmode said:
aiee, then that "no hard drive" bit especially stings, doesn't it..
If this isn't a "special edition," and is just the new standard PS2...

Yeah, Square should be pretty pissed right about now.

(Pissed enough to make Xbox games omg??)

hirokazu

Sho Nuff said:
When they make a newer, smaller PSP, will it be called a PSpee?

nah, there just won't be one - i don't see how you could possibly make it smaller though seeing as the screen takes up the big majority of the front area.

anyhow, my thoughts on this is that the SCPH-70000 model is the rumoured PStwo, just that they decided against calling it that for the sake preventing confusion and such, and this is evidenced, as people have pointed out, by the "two" on the box.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mzo said:

(Pissed enough to make Xbox games omg??)

I'd say they're pissed, but not stupid.
Personally, I'd guess they'd probably just make their online games for PC.

hirokazu :-
anyhow, my thoughts on this is that the SCPH-70000 model is the rumoured PStwo, just that they decided against calling it that for the sake preventing confusion and such, and this is evidenced, as people have pointed out, by the "two" on the box.

I guess this makes sense; just because they trademarked PStwo, doesn't mean they need to use it.

hirokazu

Mzo said:

well it depends on what you mean by special edition anyhow - the PSone replaced the PlayStation and became the standard, with the old models being phased out, and the same is happening with the PS2 for SCPH-7000/"PStwo", the only difference being this one ain't releasing near PS3 launch and that this one did not undergo an official name change. neither are "special editions" in my book though.

anyhow, regarding Square, it seems like FFXI is coming to Australia, but for PC only, i had wondered why, but its probably because of the lack of hard drive with the new model...

Mzo

hirokazu said:
well it depends on what you mean by special edition anyhow - the PSone replaced the PlayStation and became the standard, with the old models being phased out, and the same is happening with the PS2 for SCPH-7000/"PStwo", the only difference being this one ain't releasing near PS3 launch and that this one did not undergo an official name change. neither are "special editions" in my book though.

anyhow, regarding Square, it seems like FFXI is coming to Australia, but for PC only, i had wondered why, but its probably because of the lack of hard drive with the new model...
You're right, production of the original PS pretty much stopped after the introduction of the PSOne, so the difference is purely semantics.

At the rate that PS2s break down, Square is going to start taking hits on their FFXI subscriber base pretty soon.

Mzo said:
At the rate that PS2s break down, Square is going to start taking hits on their FFXI subscriber base pretty soon.

Only if the PS2's broke down at the rate certain people would like to believe.

jarrod

Banned
I kinda doubt we'll get another PS2 revision, especially anytime soon. If we do I expect it'll be well after the next gen consoles are entrenched and as a budget/novelty platform exclusively (like Majesco's Genesis 3). Most successfull mainstream consoles only see one standard revision in their lifetimes (FC/NES, SFC/SNES, MD/Genesis, PS1, GB, GBA, etc).

Top Bottom