• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Reggie Fils-amie DS interview on CBS MarketWatch

Here's the link to the vid ....use bugmenot.com or the Bugmenot firefox extension toregister to see it.

Reggie on DS WiFi internet play: "Right now for WiFI and WiFi capability, being able to play across the internet, we believe that's the next big opportunity for the handheld biz, and Nintendo DS delivers on that."

Justin Bailey said:
Except for the fact that Nintendo doesn't have any online games announced for it.

Yes and there was no new Zelda until they announced it either. All the quotes point to online next year.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Why is it that Nintendo seems convinced that handheld gaming should have online capabilities, whilst home consoles shouldn't?

psycho_snake said:
Why is it that Nintendo seems convinced that handheld gaming should have online capabilities, whilst home consoles shouldn't?

Ummm they changed their mind?

They couldn't remain stupid forever.

Revolution.

alejob

psycho_snake said:

Because
A: They are retarded or
B: They now know this but its to late for GameCube.

COCKLES

being watched
I feel sorry for Reggie. He has the dynamism. Just he's stuck with the lamedog of the industry at the moment...I bet he would like to start kicking ass and taking names...starting with the Nintendo board.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
beacuse the DS is one big experiment. I am sure what ever experience they have with online on this will inform both Revolution And the next Game Boy

Insertia

psycho_snake said:

If online play takes-off with PSP the thing that keeps Nintendo afloat (Gameboy) is in trouble. They've got to cover all of their bases to prevent what's happened to them in the console market to repeat in the handheld market.

paul777

Banned
That quote was taken out of context. The interviewer asked if the DS would, in the future, be compatible with new tech such as Wi-Max. Reggie then stated that quote, which means that at the moment Wi-Fi is what they're focused on being compatible with.

Insertia said:
If online play takes-off with PSP the thing that keeps Nintendo afloat (Gameboy) is in trouble. They've got to cover all of their bases to prevent what's happened to them in the console market to repeat in the handheld market.

Exactly......competition brings out the best in all parties.

paul777 said:
That quote was taken out of context. The interviewer asked if the DS would, in the future, be compatible with new tech such as Wi-Max. Reggie then stated that quote, which means that at the moment Wi-Fi is what they're focused on being compatible with.

Couldn't disagree more. He added it on the end to hype internet play.

etiolate

Banned

Well theres been other reasons in this thread listed already, but Nintendo doesn't seem to look at online as the buzzword everyone else does. They see online = communication, like Pictochat and Animal Crossing. They want communcation as part of the DS platform.

I wish Animal Crossing was not so far off... I wonder how they would handle the different Holidays from different regions if this indeed is online and global. Exchanging stuff with a friend in Japan or UK

naz said:
I wish Animal Crossing was not so far off... I wonder how they would handle the different Holidays from different regions if this indeed is online and global. Exchanging stuff with a friend in Japan or UK

The longer they take, the more chance we get all the online features.

xsarien

daedsiluap
psycho_snake said:

Because the one thing the N-Gage got right was "Anyone, anywhere." Integrating WiFi into a portable gaming device just makes sense, and it's much less of a hassle (on paper) than jacking a console into a router and making sure everything's configured properly.

xsarien said:
Because the one thing the N-Gage got right was "Anyone, anywhere." Integrating WiFi into a portable gaming device just makes sense, and it's much less of a hassle (on paper) than jacking a console into a router and making sure everything's configured properly.

IAWTP

Nintendo supporters need to let go of the Gamecube Damage Control and embrace online play, if only as a means to compete in today and tomorrow's marketplace.

krypt0nian said:
IAWTP

Nintendo supporters need to let go of the Gamecube Damage Control and embrace online play, if only as a means to compete in today and tomorrow's marketplace.

Oh so true, why are there people actually defending the lack of onlie play? It's not like it's something you're forced to buy. I think it's a very nice option to have, so people who want it, get it. I don't see any strong reasoning to justify otherwise. I'm sure there are many here, not even strong Nintendo fans, who'd like to play Nintendo's strong multiplayer set ups, online.

I know I'll be pretty damn happy if I see online games for the DS in the coming years.

BTW, nice avatar.

GDGF

Soothsayer
krypt0nian said:
IAWTP

I 100% agree with this statement.

Mashing

psycho_snake said:

Because, as Pokemon has proved time and time again, the handheld sector is very social. Pokemon wouldn't have been the phenomenon it was if it wasn't for the trading (social) aspect of it. I mean the minute they have a free online pokemon game on Gameboy or DS... motherfucking megaton

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Somebody give me thier Member ID and Password.

paul777

Banned
I watched the video without a username/password. I just adjusted the video settings, closed the browser, then clicked the link again, and it worked.

Top Bottom