• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken 5 Info: PS2 Pads for Arcade!

DrDogg

Arguably the best innovation to hit US arcades in some time, the Tekken 5 cabinet will feature PlayStation 2 controller ports. This will allow players to bring their Dual Shock 2 pads from home to use in arcades. No longer will arcade goers have to complain that they would play better on a pad, or that the sticks need to be adjusted. Now you can bring your own PS2 pad, or any PS2 compatible arcade stick to your arcade for Tekken 5 action that feels just like you're at home.

Source: GameDAILY

There's a ton of other info in that article, but this is the best news for arcade fighters in a LONG time. No longer will I have to deal with scrubs saying they'd win if they could play on pad!

The ranking and ghost system sound dope, and I'm glad they're coming to the US even without Tekken.Net. My only concern is that most arcade owners won't want to shell out the money on a new cabinet.

BuddyC

I remember they did this with DC pads a while back, but I can't remember what game it was. Always cool to see.

DrDogg

Did it ever come to the US? I know this has been done before in Japan, but I've only heard about the Dreamcast VMU card slots in US arcades.

jett

D-Member
Bleh, the PS2 pad is crap for fighters. My hands hurt after playing SF3 for a long while. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
im sure they will be broken\ripped off within a week.

The nice thing is that i can use my tekken 4 stick. Hopefully there will be a place to put it.

Tabris

How can you complain about the PS2 pad in comparison to the DC pad.

That thing gave me blisters. Literaly. The console had the absolute best 2d fighters for I guess 2 generations technically, but the absolute worst d-pad ever made for fighting games.

The PS2 d-pad is soft and it's the perfect size.

DrDogg

ourumov said:
What about if they win you ?

More than likely anyone who can beat me wouldn't be complaining about not having a pad to play on.

Defensor... Are you sure? Every Tekken 4 System 246 board that I've ever come across had PS2 controller ports, but they were not active unless you were in the debug menu. I also don't know of any cabinets that have PS2 controller slots.

Soul Calibur 2 (also System 246), had the controller ports active for gameplay, but again, no cabinets with PS2 slots.

jett... You can use anything that works on a PS2. That means arcade stick, or converter.

jett

D-Member
Tabris said:

That thing gave me blisters. Literaly. The console had the absolute best 2d fighters for I guess 2 generations technically, but the absolute worst d-pad ever made for fighting games.

Heh, really? I found the DC's d-pad to be much better than the PS2's, at least for 2D fighters. Fireball motions and the like roll much better on it, at least that was the case with me. :p

DCX

DCX
jett said:
Heh, really? I found the DC's d-pad to be much better than the PS2's, at least for 2D fighters. Fireball motions and the like roll much better on it, at least that was the case with me. :p
I agree, the DC was THE Fighter's Machine.

DCX

Gattsu25

Banned
jett said:

actually, the DC d-pad hurt my thumb as well...those edges where SHARP :( :( :(

jarrod

Banned
DC's unresponsive, hard edged D-pad was the worst I've encountered since 3DO. I've no idea how Sega could go from the absolute perfection of the JP Saturn pad to that turd. :/

PS2, GC & XBox all have better D pads than DC, despite their own flaws.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I got blisters in my thumb playing MvC2 and Capcom vs Snk on the dreamcast...
Plus with games that required heavy use of the triggers and face buttons, I got hand cramps as well :(

Joeholley

Great. Now scrubs will be complaining that they lost cause it didn't let them set up their controller the way they use it at home. =/

DrDogg

Maybe there will be an option to change your settings as well. Then you can rag on the scrubs for having to set their throws to the shoulder buttons.

doncale

Banned
even the Master System's d-pad was nicer than Dreamcast's d-pad.

SMS_sega-master-pad.jpg

^

word.

bjork

Tekken 5 was apparently on test at some big fighting game tournament this past weekend at Cal Poly Pomona, did anyone here go?

Tabris said:

To everyone's own hand. D-Pad and fighters on Sony pad give me cramps fairly quickly because of how small and angular the thing. Fingers bend in unnatural positions = very bad for comfort. I'll take the round, soft DC controller over PS2 everyday of the week. Doesn't mean it's better, just better for some people's hands.

DrDogg

bjork said:
Tekken 5 was apparently on test at some big fighting game tournament this past weekend at Cal Poly Pomona, did anyone here go?

I was there... and that's also where this article came from. All of this info is out of Evo. Hands-on coming soon...

Not that I'm a big fan of Tekken, but I support this in principle. It's something I've been thinking seems obvious and easy for a dozen years. Too bad it happens when arcades don't matter.

Top Bottom