• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New translation project from Alexander O. Smith and Joseph Reeder's company

Dunan

Two of your favorite game translators (and one other literature translator, who's not half bad himself) are working on a book, Black Wave, set in Japan after the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. It's a Kickstarter project and a very worthy one.

Those of you following the Susan Wilson scam, have no fear. This Kickstarter is from three extremely respected translators whose work you know and love, and who are household names to any video game fan. Did you enjoy the English writing in Final Fantasy XII, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and the Phoenix Wright series? Then you're going to enjoy this. Do you like gritty novels set in modern-day Japan? Then you're going to like it even more.

9 Days Remaining on the Black Wave Kickstarter!

Time's running out and we're just shy of 50% funded, so we need another boost to make the project a success.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1080482277/black-wave

For those of you who missed the earlier posts, Black Wave is a novel set during the aftermath of the 2011 quake and tsunami in Japan. It's an important first-hand depiction of the disaster, it also treats themes of social isolation and loneliness, the role (and occasional excess) of media in portraying natural disasters and their victims, and the importance of community.

I've donated my time toward the translation of the book.

If anyone here is interested in helping, but doesn't know what Kickstarter is, basically, it's a way to fund projects by small donations, and you get something back for each donation. At the $10 support level, you're getting a digital copy of the book once it's published, so it's essentially like pre-ordering a book at cover price. At higher support levels, you can get print copies of the book, and cool stuff like the Akabeko bobble-head cow, handcrafted in Fukushima, Japan!
(see him in the picture below)

Kickstarter is all-or-nothing, so if we don't raise the amount we need to publish in the next 9 days, no one is charged anything, and we don't get funded. If we do get funded, supporters are billed through Amazon.com, so if you've ever used Amazon, there's nothing extra to set up there.

Please check out the project details via the link below:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1080482277/black-wave

If it's something that interests you, please consider pitching in! Also, sharing on Facebook is a huge help. Thanks!

The Akabeko doll:

73755_10152717850640265_847840563_n.jpg

I myself am Donor Number 9; I stumped up for a physical copy. Help them make this book happen!

(Mods: If this is more of an "Off-Topic" thread than a "Community" thread, please don't hesitate to move it there.)

Top Bottom