• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next G4 Icons show - SNK!

hobbitx

I'm glad to see another Icon about a classic company, I can't wait until they do Street Fighter.

Even better, a Mortal Kombat Icons is on the way. I just hope they don't pull another Doom and let it turn into a promo for the newest game.

aku:jiki

john tv said:
Hmm... but does anyone but the most hardcore of hardcore care about SNK?
So?

By that logic, nobody should ever waste any energy writing (or filming) about anything but GTA and Madden. And that would suck.

aku:jiki said:
So?

By that logic, nobody should ever waste any energy writing (or filming) about anything but GTA and Madden. And that would suck.

Well, there's a fair amount of difference between "hardcore" and "hardcore of hardcore."

What's next ... Cave shooters?

john tv

Well, presumably G4 wants to stay in business and expand its viewership, no? IMHO, you go for the occasional niche/hardcore segments after you've established yourselves and gained a large number of viewers (or in a magazine's case, readers).

Just babbling though, really. It's not like I can watch G4 from out here anyway. :/

JackFrost2012 said:
Well, there's a fair amount of difference between "hardcore" and "hardcore of hardcore."

What's next ... Cave shooters?
That would be beyond awesome.

I still don't see the point here. Relatively few people care, so it shouldn't be reported on at all? If it's good -- why not show the people that don't usually care? They might get interested.

john tv said:
IMHO, you go for the occasional niche/hardcore segments after you've established yourselves and gained a large number of viewers (or in a magazine's case, readers).
You do have a point, but at the same time I'd just like to point out that I think much of the success one of our swedish mags is having is due to them reporting on the quirky stuff. I mean, they put Katamari import on the cover. That's balls!

And from what I can gather on swedish forums -- this is exactly why people enjoy and buy the magazine, hardcore of hardcore or not. They like reading about people who are.

john tv

That would be beyond awesome.

I still don't see the point here. Relatively few people care, so it shouldn't be reported on at all? If it's good -- why not show the people that don't usually care? They might get interested.

You do have a point, but at the same time I'd just like to point out that I think much of the success one of our swedish mags is having is due to them reporting on the quirky stuff. I mean, they put Katamari import on the cover. That's balls!

And from what I can gather on swedish forums -- this is exactly why people enjoy and buy the magazine, hardcore of hardcore or not. They like reading about people who are.
Which magazine was that, BTW?

doncale

Banned
i cant wait to see it. i hope they dont start with NeoGeo's prime, in the fighting game era. i hope they start it off right, with all the early Neo games. still the best IMO.

john tv said:
Just curious. How is Super Play? Any good?
To be honest, they're pretty bad. Their article on Naughty Dog was amazing (it's the one where everybody got the first tidbits of info on Jak III), but that was eight months ago and after that they've been in a steady decline. The editor has lost it completely, focusing on everything but actual game journalism.

How come you even know about swedish mags? :eek:

Edit: Why does colon o make an embarassed smiley? :(

nubbe said:
Super Play was much better when it was called Super Power
No, it really wasn't. You can, perhaps, argue that it was more fun to read, but the fact-checking and maturity of opinions back then was pathetic. They were a bunch of kids just messing around, and it showed.

john tv

To be honest, they're pretty bad. Their article on Naughty Dog was amazing (it's the one where everybody got the first tidbits of info on Jak III), but that was eight months ago and after that they've been in a steady decline. The editor has lost it completely, focusing on everything but actual game journalism.
So what kinds of things do they focus on, if not game journalism?

How come you even know about swedish mags?
I don't know much, that's why I'm asking. :) All I know right now are titles, really. I'm always interested in foreign game mags though, since I do Japan correspondent work on the side.

john tv said:
So what kinds of things do they focus on, if not game journalism?
Well, they trey to act like that's what they're focusing on. Yet the editor in chief focuses much more on hiring people who write poetically, rather than correctly, missing that good game writing has to be a balance between the two. They focus on making the magazine a "personal" reading experience, and in the process forget about things like fact-checking, making for quite an ignorant publication overall. The fact that they're flat out of ideas, as proven by the fact that they've started basically just doing lists nowadays ("the arcade issue" was just a top list of their favorite arcade games, for example), doesn't really help either.

It just gives off a sense of ignorance and nonchalance from people who just don't care anymore.

I don't know much, that's why I'm asking. :) All I know right now are titles, really. I'm always interested in foreign game mags though, since I do Japan correspondent work on the side.
Super Play has a Japan correspondent called Christophe Kagotani. Do you know (of) him? I sure didn't before he started writing there, and probably would've contacted you or mr. Vestal up there if I was in that position.

Vibri

Banned
Did anyone watch this? How was it?

Oh and it seems to me that people bitch when G4 covers mainstream stuff, now they're bitching that they cover somethine niche? Talk about damned if you do, etc.

puck1337

john tv said:
Well, presumably G4 wants to stay in business and expand its viewership, no? IMHO, you go for the occasional niche/hardcore segments after you've established yourselves and gained a large number of viewers (or in a magazine's case, readers).

Just babbling though, really. It's not like I can watch G4 from out here anyway. :/
Isn't G4 pretty much the definition of a niche cable station as it is?

i just caught the snk icons episode a couple hours ago and it was alright. icons would really benefit from expanding to an hour long format. they pretty much rushed through the companies entire history and the end segment felt like a commercial. it wasn't bad, but i didn't walk away feeling like i learned anyting so...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm finally getting digital cable on Wendsday. When is the show re-airing?

Renegade

Banned
Times Last Blade was mentioned/Shown on screen: 0
Most Drama filled Release SNK has ever had: Last blade
Times SNK's riskiest expenditure, Koudelka, mentioned: 0
I gave the show a 65/100
Don't watch unless you're a die hard fan and MUST see it. Even then, it may be worthy when there's nothing else on TV. I'd wait for the show to get ripped to the internet.

Top Bottom