• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
He basically just confirmed what Reiner and the others heard around that time too about PS5 being more powerful.
Thaat is not what he is saying at all. He is only talking about XSX. Phil admit
Arrogant Sony costed them a lot and nearly lost them a gen, and they learned humility from the experience.
I know it's hard for you to understand that someone might not care enough about sides or specs of plastic boxes.
Don't assume everyone that has any criticism is an instant enemy. Grow up a bit.
Grow up? Dude,there are dozens of your drive by negative responses crying n whinning about everything XSX. This is a thread about the consoles capabilities,not company PR or how arrogant you feel Phil is. etc...

Kdad

wat dat mean
its the opposite of
qRCYKbW.gif

Chronos24

Just an observation here because I've been lurking this thread for quite some time, but the hypocrisy of both sides according to fanboyism is astounding. Ps5 seems more powerful people gloat, Series X specs hit, seems stronger, people go up in arms again. It's ridiculous. We're getting some truly powerful consoles from both companies that are going to blow away current gen in nearly every aspect. All that said, I like everyone else here am very curious what these "insiders" know. Verification happen yet or what??? Either he is or isn't it shouldn't be that hard and shouldn't take this long. Let's get some real numbers in here and some real specs so we can finally get a clearer picture what kind of powerful consoles we're getting.

xPikYx

Better to lower down your TF expectations if the price will be 500£. Last time a console had the necessary power to smack PC was on PS3/X360 generation and ps3 costed 600$ FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, today to have tge same price/perf impact console should cost 1000$, something really difficult to happen, so...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just an observation here because I've been lurking this thread for quite some time, but the hypocrisy of both sides according to fanboyism is astounding. Ps5 seems more powerful people gloat, Series X specs hit, seems stronger, people go up in arms again. It's ridiculous. We're getting some truly powerful consoles from both companies that are going to blow away current gen in nearly every aspect. All that said, I like everyone else here am very curious what these "insiders" know. Verification happen yet or what??? Either he is or isn't it shouldn't be that hard and shouldn't take this long. Let's get some real numbers in here and some real specs so we can finally get a clearer picture what kind of powerful consoles we're getting.

Thank you this is so true. It's like we're having insider wars to compliment the usual console wars.

44alltheway

I swear this thread is gonna be a constant blue ball until February finally rolls around. Everyday with these hints of something is coming, but nothing ever does (fr it is fun to read!)

DJ12

Thaat is not what he is saying at all. He is only talking about XSX. Phil admit
You don't get it, the new narrative was this was a big surprise to Devs from those backing the green team.

Turns out absolutely nothing has changed it wasn't a surprise (insert fake shocked face here) just like everyone was being told.

I guess if you go full timdog enough times less rabid like minded individuals will pick up and run with your new narrative.

Nothing to see with this narrative anymore. Please create another on timdog so we can have another laugh at that one.

Last edited:
Better to lower down your TF expectations if the price will be 500£. Last time a console had the necessary power to smack PC was on PS3/X360 generation and ps3 costed 600$ FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, today to have tge same price/perf impact console should cost 1000$, something really difficult to happen, so...

PS3 also had a blu-ray drive that drove up the cost considerably. Both next-gen systems will have blu-ray drives too but prices are much more normalized vs. back in 2006.

DJ12

He's been online today and he hasn't said a word about my post yesterday. https://www.neogaf.com/posts/256263355/

So I don't think there's anything to him. He's probably just running around in circles trying to get attention.
Why would he, the guy has literally said he cannot go into specifics about the memory setup, yet you link to an article that is solely about it.

Info-ms is hardly something to get your knickers in a twist about. Isn't that just what tmsc call the 7nm+ node with memory on the substrate. Google it sure enough there it is....

Just let the process finish instead of trying to second guess it with irrelevant pastebins.

MadAnon

E3 shot of the Xbox APU combined with 350mm Arden rumor definitely allows for wide, lower clocked 12tf gpu. I just want MS come out and confirm it.

Though, I'm not convinced about PS5 being almost the same. I'm still in the 9-10.3TF for the PS5. And it being cheaper console.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Today's rumors are as follows:

Code:
           PS5                             XSX
CPU:       8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.2Ghz          |  8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU:       13.3TF RDNA (VRS Tier1 ? RT) |  12.1TF RDNA (VRS Tier 2, RT)
Storage:   1TB SSD 5GB/s                |  1TB SSD 2GB/s
RAM:       24GB (8GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4)  |  16GB GDDR6

I wish this pan out to be true . PS5 will be a monster with those specs.

Reactions: TLZ

Gamernyc78

Banned
I wish this pan out to be true . PS5 will be a monster with those specs.

Bro I'm excited for both, last Gen I wasn't. Multiplat games are going to look so gooddddd. Call of Duty next Gen with its new engine 👌Shit I'm even excited for shit like Fortnite 2.0 whatever tht looks like.

What I want now is some psvr 2 news. I want to know how much in total I'm shelling out. I have 1,000 set aside already for ps5 and vr2.

Last edited:

DJ12

Code:
Tier 1 is probably something at the hardware level tier 2 is in software leveraging the tier 1 hardware.

How do I know this, because there are benchmarks using Nvidia GPUs using tier 1 and also using tier 2 through direct x12.

Pretty sure vulkan and opengl will also be doing this so nothing to see here.

Tier 1 and tier 2 are both direct x things anyway, maybe others just call it vrs as they did it right first time?

Last edited:

Code:
I would love this to happen but I doubt

Nickolaidas

Fine, since we're posting prediction specs...

PS5:

**12.8-13 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**ARM or RISC-V based coprocessor (background OS tasks)
**20GB GDDR6 via 10x 32-bit 2GB chips, 2Ghz chip clock (max clock 2GHz) , 320-bit bus, 640 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-96GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
(speeds of around DDR4 RAM, read and write performance/alterability of DRAM, permanent storage abilities of NAND)
**$499.99 MSRP

XSEX:

12.1-12.5 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**24GB GDDR6 via 12x 32-bit 2GB chips, 1.5 Ghz chip clock, 384-bit bus, 576 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 2GB/s (x1 PCIe 4.0 lane) - 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-128GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
(speeds of around DDR4 RAM, read and write performance/alterability of DRAM, permanent storage abilities of NAND)
**499.99 MSRP
I like the way you think, friend.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Because it was brought up. And no one has any idea what the memory configuration of the PS5 is. Right now this is the idea. It'll change all the time though.

Yeah tht hbm set up is an old rumor ppl just discounted it bcus thy said it was too expensive. Again tht pessimism was coming from the arm chair analysts tht said we wouldn't be getting more than 8tfs in consoles, thy have since changed their tune.

Last edited:
Fine, since we're posting prediction specs...

PS5:

**12.8-13 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**20GB GDDR6 via 10x 32-bit 2GB chips, 2Ghz chip clock (max clock 2GHz) , 320-bit bus, 640 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-96GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
**$499.99 MSRP

XSEX:

12.1-12.5 TFLOPS NAVI RDNA
**8 core/16 thread Ryzen
**24GB GDDR6 via 12x 32-bit 2GB chips, 1.5 Ghz chip clock, 384-bit bus, 576 GB/s bandwidth
**1TB Samsung SSD via NVMe over PCIe 4.0 @ 2GB/s (x1 PCIe 4.0 lane) - 4GB/s (x2 PCIe 4.0 lanes) (replaceable)
**64-128GB PCM-based (i.e Optane DC Persistent Memory) memory cache @ ~ 25GB/s (non-replaceable, DRAM-style memory controller)
**499.99 MSRP

I like that you have warm storage in addition to the cold storage.

Ar¢tos

Then Sony, technically, can do an MS on PS5 reveal and say "exclusive patented RT™" and "patented VRS technology" only available in the PS5.

Do you think that's Sony's style though?
Sony never did that before, I'm sure they won't start now.
And often it's not just one patent... It's sometimes thousands for the same thing (from tiny differences between them, to totally different approaches)
They must spend a fucking ton of money registering patents.

Thinking are we all getting in a bit too deep on this VRS Talk (regardless of the tier) ?

It’s a forward facing feature, that I am sure will be awesome for some games. Then maybe not so much for others.

To be honest, it’s not even one of the really cool features either (crazy ssd speeds, a ‘real’ cpu, or even a monster eating cpu)

I wouldn’t be picking up a console, because one has a different version of something like VRS (and I got a hd-dvd drive on release. Still got it next to my GameCube, tiny ps2 and one or two others 😂😎)

llien

Code:
Soo, 5700XT + 30%+, in other words, 2080Ti area, well into 250+ watts for GPU alone.
Realistic eh?

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't believe that MS was behind sending dev kits, that story doesn't make sense at all. How did they move from just recently sending dev kits to showing the box in two weeks? Hell even Phil had a console at home the week prior!

Consoles take years of planning, Sony started PS4 development in 2007, and PS5 in 2014. Taping those chips takes years of design and hundreds of trials and experimentation. MS story doesn't fit any of this , hell they even showed HBII running in engine.

I can't wait for the bombs that Sony will drop come February 🔥

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don't believe that MS was behind sending dev kits, that story doesn't make sense at all. How did they move from just recently sending dev kits to showing the box in two weeks? Hell even Phil had a console at home the week prior!

Consoles take years of planning, Sony started PS4 development in 2007, and PS5 in 2014. Taping those chips takes years of design and hundreds of trials and experimentation. MS story doesn't fit any of this , hell they even showed HBII running in engine.

I can't wait for the bombs that Sony will drop come February 🔥

Those dev kits been out tht was just bs to push ppls narrative tht thy were surprising Sony and it was damage control bcus insiders were saying ps5 was more powerful.

Lort

Banned
Sony never did that before, I'm sure they won't start now.
And often it's not just one patent... It's sometimes thousands for the same thing (from tiny differences between them, to totally different approaches)
They must spend a fucking ton of money registering patents.

Lol did xbox technology hurt your fanyboy feelings?

Ms pays Sony a license fee for blueray, Apple pays license fees for exchange connectors and Sony pays Microsoft for cloud services... money makes the world go round.

The idea the MS has not customized the hardware is dead, the idea that only Sony has “secret sauce” is dead...

Shock revelation they both have technological innovations.

Also shock revelation xbox had better tech in every console apart from xbox one... and probably will lead again this time.

Time will tell...

Also will ps have two skus one with lesser gpu .. those rumors seem a lot more prolific now ... any insider want to comment?

Aceofspades

Banned
Those dev kits been out tht was just bs to push ppls narrative tht thy were surprising Sony and it was damage control bcus insiders were saying ps5 was more powerful.

If there is a company that might do such a petty thing it's Microsoft. But I really doubt they would be this petty.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The way things have been going. Lol

They made it all the way to 16TFs, and it's not even Friday yet. Every 24hrs, the specs keep inching higher and higher.

Yeah, but there's a point I'm not willing to pass (although i think Sony is coming out swinging) and thts thinking they will be above 13tf. I think thts the highest these systems will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom