• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSX

Unfair!

aLzGfsW.jpg

Sethbacca

Today is the day! Couldn't get the day off so hopefully it comes before my lunch so I can set it up and at least get any day 1 updates downloaded and shit. Hooray for working from home I guess. Then hate life till 4:30 when I get off :(

Last edited:

Lysandros

So we currently have

Fortnite
Xbox 17 seconds
PS5 13 seconds (76% or 1.3x faster)

AC Valhalla
Xbox 86 seconds
PS5 52 seconds (60% or 1.66x faster)

Which is slightly in-line to what we should expect from that hardware differential.

No, this is not in line with the speed difference between SSD's and hardware difference between I/O's at all, PS5 shoulde be 'at least' 2.3 times faster. Either the game is poorly coded for PS5's I/O or the SSD underperforms for a reason. By the way there is another video about Assasin's Creed showing 2.5 times faster loading for PS5 (in line with spec), Tom Warren's numbers seem to be different to everyone else as a general rule.

vkbest

No, this is not in line with the speed difference between SSD's and hardware difference between I/O's at all, PS5 shoulde be 'at least' 2.3 times faster. Either the game is poorly coded for PS5's I/O or the SSD underperforms for a reason. By the way there is another video about Assasin's Creed showing 2.5 times faster loading for PS5 (in line with spec), Tom Warren's numbers seem to be different to everyone else as a general rule.

Im seeing different speed loads on the same games, I would wait, because with the embargo, some sites are uploading videos they made pre patches. For example, I have seen on this topic a video of AC Valhalla on PS5 with tearing, and there are several people from Japan streaming the game just now, and I cant see tearing on those videos.

Shmunter

Online games will be at the mercy of calling home and waiting. No way to determine what is loading and what is internet.

7 days to get consoles, but saw games on stores already. And that "lol 80€ for games" talks werent correct it seems. Same as PS4, 59-69€ here, in local super markets gaming section which usually isnt even the cheapest place on town.

Now I can stare my copy and count days until the launch :messenger_savoring:

4xORiNW.jpg

I think that 2~8% penalty to PS5 is just vsync penalty. On DF's analysis, XSX version DMC runs with no vsync through VRR. so basically PS5 is almost same realworld performance to XSX . maybe highframe mode is only no vsync mode on PS5.
Bravo. This is the best theory I have seen so far.

It can be verified if we can spot screen tearing with Xbox version using a regular tv.

again, I’m not surprised ps5 will have an edge in certain modes early on.

Jemm

Im seeing different speed loads on the same games, I would wait, because with the embargo, some sites are uploading videos they made pre patches.
Load times can change a lot, depending on where the game loads or fast travels. There may be more NPCs in one area or some other things that take more time to load. Also, the OS in the background may affect the performance: it may be downloading a patch in the background or doing some other OS stuff that takes resources from the game.

All these variables may affect the load times in both consoles´. (just like they affect in PCs)

Last edited:

chonga

Online games will be at the mercy of calling home and waiting. No way to determine what is loading and what is internet.
Exactly, and in addition to that the data that has been loaded will be processed in some way.

If you had two identical consoles except one had a drive that performed twice as fast in every single aspect you wouldn't get twice as fast loading because the data processing part of your loading remains unchanged.

Sethbacca

Has anyone who's gotten their PS5 yet noticed if Sony is doing the extended warranty through the PS Store with the PS5 or am I going to have to hunt down Squaretrade or something else?

Last edited:

reksveks

For assassin creed, I am using the video in the thread a couple of posts before mines, the video for 2.5x speed I have seen is for loading a save file only.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Sony Second-class citizen here too (Spain), the good we will know what are the problems with the console prior to turn on xD
I do feel bad for everyone in places where the launch is delayed a week or more from today. Covid-19 totally hosed you guys. It's pretty clear that Sony originally planned to do a global launch this time and that would have been awesome. Unfortunately, didn't turn out to be possible.

That's part of why I think this thread needs to stay active a while longer so we can present the remaining info that gets found (day 1 updates as well) along with any issues or things to look for.

3liteDragon

Halo Infinite Craig meme is now a t-shirt worn by Microsoft employees - GamesRadar

Phil Spencer also confirmed Craig will remain a part of Halo lore.
Halo Infinite may be delayed, but Craig the brute remains a consistent figure in the hallways of Microsoft, according to Phil Spencer

In an interview with Gamespot, Spencer is asked if the former Xbox Series X launch title Halo Infinite could release with a reversible cover that has Craig the brute on the other side, referencing a meme from earlier in the year. Spencer's response might surprise you, as it's evidence that 343 Industries and Microsoft are having some fun with the quite brute-al meme.

Phil Spencer: "We actually have these t-shirts, I didn't wear it today, which is Craig's face. I love that the team embraced that, it was just so funny. Yeah. I think Craig will be around for many, many decades in the Halo lore. You'll find his pictures all over the place. Yeah. Probably in games somewhere," Spencer says, laughing."

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
7 days to get consoles, but saw games on stores already. And that "lol 80€ for games" talks werent correct it seems. Same as PS4, 59-69€ here, in local super markets gaming section which usually isnt even the cheapest place on town.

Now I can stare my copy and count days until the launch :messenger_savoring:

4xORiNW.jpg
Country? Surprised at thos 70€ tags.

Maybe it will be 70 for physical and 80 for digital? This past gen was 60 phys and 70 digital so maybe, no?

THE:MILKMAN

I seem to recall someone else once believing the PS5 was 16+4, but it turned out the 4GB was indeed some sort of SSD cache.

A long time ago when we were speculating on configs/specs some did go with 16GB GDDR6/HBM + 4GB DDR4 yes. This wouldn't count in that regard as I'm fairly sure that SKHynix chip (a Samsung chip in Sony's own teardown) is completely separate from the main RAM and just for the SSD cache. I doubt that could be used for the OS or whatever?

Stuart360

Literally at launch and we’ve seen games measured by machine, and you want to pull this crap out?

I mean, I could kind of understand this stupidity 5 months ago when we just had specs and no systems. It’s easy to make spurious claims when there’s nothing to back up the claims.

But to continue this now - you’ve got to really be a frenzied fanboy. Or just technology dyslexic maybe.
What the hell are you babbling on about?, calm the fuck down. We were talking about expectations of the differences over the gen, and thats what i'm expecting over the gen. The same framerate targets on both, and XSX having a slightly higher resolution.
What is wrong with that?, its not exactly some wild theory is it.
Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom