• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy to see the fear and worry in here... what if sony really does give you a 8-9TF system and expect you to just like it because so many bought the PS4 and are now "trapped" in the ecosystem?

If this does really end up being a speed vs power battle next gen, would you rather have insane graphics that melt your face off but load in 15-20 seconds or graphics that are a step up from what you have now but not as great as the competition, yet quickly load in a blistering 1-10 seconds?

I understand that the SSD may give various other advantages but lets be real here, how many developers are really going to invest in anything that truly takes advantage beyond faster loading times? Some first party studios and MAYBE a second part studio here and there? And how long will it really take before we see real world benefits from a super fast SSD beyond loading times? 2 years? 3?
People don’t buy consoles for TFlops! They buy depending on A) Sexy Logos B) First Party Games and C) Did I mention Sexy Logos

That is great for Sony.
Just like PS4 gen when all press were already making Xbox the winner.
Yeah, negative press is great for companies. It's great for their share prices, investors and the like. In fact companies just love to have 6 months of terrible untrue facts floating around about their product, just so they can say you were wrong.
They marketing and PR firms millions to a give the best possible roll out and narrative for their products. But yet are happy to have all this terrible press out there.
I can 1000% tell you that would not be how Sony would be thinking.

Though didn't the RAM situation with the PS4 not follow your logic? Sony didn't just shut the rumors down about the PS4 only having 4 gigs of GDDR5. It wasn't until their February 2013 reveal where Cerny first mentioned the PS4 having 8 gigs of RAM.

Aside from the RAM, every other rumor between XBO and PS4 put PS4 ahead in all metrics. Losing out on the RAM in terms of rumors wasn't a big loss compared to winning out in the other rumors and hard leaks.

Though didn't the RAM situation with the PS4 not follow your logic? Sony didn't just shut the rumors down about the PS4 only having 4 gigs of GDDR5. It wasn't until their February 2013 reveal where Cerny first mentioned the PS4 having 8 gigs of RAM.
It was actually going to only have 4gigs of GDDR5 RAM. Sony at the last minute changed it when they thought the price was going to go down.
So yeah, its totally different.

It was actually going to only have 4gigs of GDDR5 RAM. Sony at the last minute changed it when they thought the price was going to go down.

It was a combination of the prices coming down enough and the production capacities increasing. Even after that reveal there were Sony guys talking about how they were uncertain it was going to have 8GB of GDDR5 until late in the game. It'd explain why they did clamshell mode with x16 512MB modules originally on a 256-bit bus.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, negative press is great for companies. It's great for their share prices, investors and the like. In fact companies just love to have 6 months of terrible untrue facts floating around about their product, just so they can say you were wrong.
They marketing and PR firms millions to a give the best possible roll out and narrative for their products. But yet are happy to have all this terrible press out there.
It is because they didn’t show their cards yet.
Everything is just that rumors.
More you hide your cards = more chance to win big the game.

Sony just need a good event to change everything and make people think they surprised everybody with the new and hot PS5.

Apple does that every years and Sony already said they want to do reveal like Apple.... they reveal the product with everything at the right time not giving a shit about rumors.

I still don’t understand what MS is trying to archive revealing little things over and over again.

Last edited:
All the negative reactions or so called negative press are on those people expecting things that were never going to happen.

Sure even I had my hopes up but this was not the event for a PS5 reveal, that will happen soon on Sony's terms.
Yep.

We have those people in this very thread lol.
I'm happy we got a logo and didn't expect anything, not even specs or features so confirmation of hardware ray tracing and 3D Audio was a nice gesture.

And just how many people actually are aware of these untrue facts? Is it enough to actually cause Sony's stock to drop dramatically? Extrapolating the stock market from GAF reactions is a laughable method.

But my point still stands. Sony didn't immediately say "No, the PS4 has 8 gigs not 4 gigs" despite rumors of the PS4 only being 4 gigs being floated around. And another user already explained the full context, so I don't need to repeat it here.

Sony just need a good event to change everything and make people think they surprised everybody with the new and hot PS5.

Apple does that every years and Sony already said they want to do reveal like Apple.... they reveal the product with everything at the right time not giving a shit about rumors.

I still don’t understand what MS is trying to archive revealing little things over and over again.
Its not about showing their cards. One tweet from Cerny saying something like "we prefer out tflops double digit " or "at PlayStation we don't do 9s" and bam, all that negative press goes away, and everyone is back to thinking the PS5 will be a beast.

longdi

Banned
Phil shows the Xbox SoC.

Sony shows a logo and no mention of power. Just features we already knew from the Wired articles.

Phil is confident.

Jim is cowardly.

I have not seen SCE this scared and evasive.
Like 3d audio being first on the diagram, is that your performance lead?
Ultra bluray? Xbox1 already did it.
A refreshed logo?

I bet Sony wanted to have some power talks, but pulled out as they feared MS retaliation which makes them look bad

ethomaz

Banned
Its not about showing their cards. One tweet from Cerny saying something like "we prefer out tflops double digit " or "at PlayStation we don't do 9s" and bam, all that negative press goes away, and everyone is back to thinking the PS5 will be a beast.
But why?
The impact will be way bigger if it shows the TFs at PS5 event in February.

BTW which negative press? Or do you mean the laughable jump conclusions articles based in rumors? These ones are only creating negative things about the writers like the DF article.

Last edited:
That is insignificant if the negative press isn't even widespread to begin with nor has it tipped the scales in a substantial way.

To be fair, it kinda is OsirisBack's 'fault' (as well as cboat's) that we got hyped for a ps5 reveal at CES.

Sony never tweeted or said anything about the ps5 for CES.

I'm as disappointed as anyone else about the lack of news. But I'm not sure it's fair to blame Osiris. Whether he was right or not (the latter in this case), there was a ton of discussion about what either company might show at CES, starting well before Osiris started dropping hints.

Jim is cowardly.

I have not seen SCE this scared and evasive.
Like 3d audio being first on the diagram, is that your performance lead?
Ultra bluray? Xbox1 already did it.
A refreshed logo?

I bet Sony wanted to have some power talks, but pulled out as they feared MS retaliation which makes them look bad

Umm?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm as disappointed as anyone else about the lack of news. But I'm not sure it's fair to blame Osiris. Whether he was right or not (the latter in this case), there was a ton of discussion about what either company might show at CES, starting well before Osiris started dropping hints.
To be fair Osiris was right.
Sony did talk about PS5.
And he said specs only in February event.

+1 to his track record.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Hence the 'fault', not fault.

Osiris was probably told that the ps5 would be talked about, which it was. It was just the same old info.

But the way he talked about it made us believe there would be new info. He's probably just as let down as we are.

But that doesn't change the fact that his recent posts were responsible for raising the expectations bar a lot higher than it normally should.

leo-j

I’ll be honest Sony is getting some bad press right now and it’s not just the press but the gaming communities..... lots of dislikes.....

the future and they show a logo...... while Microsoft drops

he’ll blade 2 in engine footage,the console, the controller, and the new GPU WITH 8k and the spec estimates.

Sony def seems a lil ignorant to the above.

It's been proven through studies that the little bit here-and-there over period of time stuff works better on social media then one-and-done big event reveals. It helps with engagement and maintaining long-term interest and mindshare. And technically speaking, Sony was doing the same thing up until December or so, remember those Wired articles?

You're looking at these companies like they're console warriors trying to win bragging rights over everything else. These are businesses; they know the difference between good publicity and bad publicity, and answer to investors and Wall Street before anyone else. They aren't going to play a game of withholding potentially beneficial information like this is poker. Not with as much money on the line as these guys have.

Last edited:

leo-j

But why?
The impact will be way bigger if it shows the TFs at PS5 event in February.

BTW which negative press? Or do you mean the laughable jump conclusions articles based in rumors? These ones are only creating negative things about the writers like the DF article.

there’s a ps5 event ? When was this announced.

ethomaz

Banned
It's been proven through studies that the little bit here-and-there over period of time stuff works better on social media then one-and-done big event reveals. It helps with engagement and maintaining long-term interest and mindshare. And technically speaking, Sony was doing the same thing up until December or so, remember those Wired articles?

You're looking at these companies like they're console warriors trying to win bragging rights over everything else. These are businesses; they know the difference between good publicity and bad publicity, and answer to investors and Wall Street before anyone else. They aren't going to play a game of withholding potentially beneficial information like this is poker. Not with as much money on the line as these guys have.
Well let’s wait and see if I’m right or not.
February event will tell us.

there’s a ps5 event ? When was this announced.
Not announced yet.
Of course it will have a PS5 event before E3.

Even at CES the SIE boss said they will talk a lot about PS5 in following months.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I assume because Sony went up on the CES stage to talk PS5 and said basically nothing sarcastic clap.

That’s just it. They didn’t go up there to talk PlayStation 5. They went up to say, we’ve had a successful generation with a lot of content and users. They went on to say things we knew because Cerny said them before, or they were announced. This was strategic to say nothing new. A brief nod for what’s to come and move on to CES appropriate topics.

MS didn’t need to be there because they weren’t introducing anything CES related. Sony on the other hand, does. Lots of things. It’s not like Sony will use the PlayStation Meeting or E3 to sell what they try to sell at CES.

This is why AMD didn’t say much about the consoles. It isn’t why they are there either.

Rumors of the PS5 not having raytracing first came up on December 27, but it wasn't until 1.5 weeks later that this rumor was ultimately debunked. And the way hardware raytracing was announced was more "Here it is. Moving on" and less so in response to something.

So why would Sony wait that long, and not make sure to tell everyone that the rumor was completely false and that they should calm down? Could it be that much of negative reactions were limited to everyday internet users and not so much from the folks of the business sphere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom