• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next steam jrpg to play

SantaC

I am on the fence here. Should I wait for Visions or Mana or buy Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance? I want to play a new jrpg and these are the ones i am deciding over.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
SMTV is great and has the best combat system in the genre IMO. The platforming / exploration kind of stinks but the game is 100% worth playing IMO.

cormack12

Gold Member
buy both and play neither
I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

Hrk69

Gold Member
Get Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance

Enough has been said about the game already

The music is fucking stellar obviously

Last edited:

Chukhopops

SMT V is a sure bet if you’ve played any SMT game before, it’s really great. If it seems too intimidating you can try Persona 3 Reload.

Did you try the Visions of Mana demo? I didn’t like it at all and I’m not sure the game will review well.

SantaC

SMT V is a sure bet if you’ve played any SMT game before, it’s really great. If it seems too intimidating you can try Persona 3 Reload.

Did you try the Visions of Mana demo? I didn’t like it at all and I’m not sure the game will review well.
No, but i enjoyed trials of mana. Is this projecting to be worse?

Chukhopops

No, but i enjoyed trials of mana. Is this projecting to be worse?
I also really liked Trials of Mana but I wasn’t convinced by the demo of Visions.

It just drops you in the middle of nowhere with plenty of characters and systems and barely any explanation. The voice acting and characters felt a bit on the cheap side too.

Maybe it’s a case of bad demo and it will review well in a week or so.

Bridges

Never played either but I'm almost done with Persona 3 Reload and if SMTV is anywhere near as good as that you'll have a great time with it

sigmaZ

Well. What do you want?

Play Vengence if you care more about gameplay and turn-based than story (And like the aesthetic)

Play Visions of Mana if you want a soy romp a beautiful, picturesque landscape with action RPG combat.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There are such a massive variety of JRPGs available on Steam that it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what you have and haven't played, and which ones you've liked.

I played through Vengeance recently as my first SMT game, and enjoyed my time with it. Very fun turn-based combat with a lot of variety and a cool Pokemon-like "gotta catch em all" feeling to it. Extremely deep mechanics.

Visions of Mana looks great (I'm putting together the OT today). I've been a fan of the series since the Final Fantasy Adventures days - but it's got action RPG combat and an extremely polar vibe from Vengeance.

A few other recs I'd throw out that haven't been mentioned yet:

Top Bottom