• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicolas Winding Refn returning to filmmaking with Tokyo-set movie

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

vFMdOSj.jpeg

"
After delivering a pair of limited series for streamers, Nicolas Winding Refn is preparing his return to feature filmmaking. Refn told Variety that he’s getting ready to shoot his next movie in Tokyo. The project will be in English and Japanese, and will mark his first feature film since 2016’s ”The Neon Demon.”

The New York-raised Danish filmmaker is attending the Venice Film Festival with the world premiere of his short “Beauty Is not a Sin,” produced by Art + Vibes for Italian motorcycle brand MV Agusta, as well as the screening of his 1996 debut movie, “Pusher,” in Venice Classics.

While he claimed “cinema is dead” several years ago, Refn now finds that returning to moviemaking in the current context is an act of “defiance.”

“It’s a really interesting time to make movies because it’s such a chaotic situation,” he said. “So going back and making a theatrical feature film again is almost like — not starting over — but with all the changes in our societies in the last five years and technology changes, it almost seems like the right thing to do for me.”

He added, ”Feature film is still the mother of all mediums” and he’s eager to “re-experience that process.” His new movie is financed and will shoot next year. It’s based on an original story whose plot is under wraps, but it “will have a lot of glitter and lot of sex and violence,” Refn promised.

“I think it’s hard for me to escape my self-indulgent identity in creativity. So there will always be me in it,” he said.

Refn also hinted that the movie will bring back themes and characters inspired by his last features, “Only God Forgives” and “The Neon Demon.” Both were equally stylish and graphic, and created a stir at the Cannes Film Festival where they both competed in 2013 and 2016, respectively.

Refn is also working on two more projects, one of which is tied to gaming. He said he’s “very fascinated by what the technology can provide” and it’s the “only art form that continues to evolve with possibilities creatively.”

Refn asked, ”In a way, had the Lumiere brothers, when they invented film, invented computer games first, what would the world look like?”

Addressing the retrospective screening of “Pusher” and his short “Beauty Is not a Sin” at Venice, Refn said, “It’s a bit of a strange experience, having your past suddenly come up in this way” and said each title symbolized “[his] future and [his] past.”

MV Agusta’s ”Beauty Is Not a Sin” is the first commercial to world premiere in the official selection at the Venice Film Festival, and Refn predicted it will open a floodgate.

“From now on, every commercial is going to try to get into Venice,” he said, adding that he’s happy to help launch that because branded work represents an “opportunity for the future for filmmakers.”

Refn, who was given carte blanche to direct the short for MV Agusta and previously helmed the short “Touch of Crude” for fashion house Prada, said he sees “no difference between making an eight-minute movie and a traditional two-hour movie.”

Refn is also closely watching the U.S. presidential election and described it as the world’s greatest reality show. “We’re just waiting for the season finale,” he quipped.

“When all the politicians have fucked up the world and created so much war and inequality that is destroying humanity” he added, “the artist’s function is to come in and try to make it just a little more tolerable in the world.”
"

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

vFMdOSj.jpeg

"
After delivering a pair of limited series for streamers, Nicolas Winding Refn is preparing his return to feature filmmaking. Refn told Variety that he’s getting ready to shoot his next movie in Tokyo. The project will be in English and Japanese, and will mark his first feature film since 2016’s ”The Neon Demon.”

The New York-raised Danish filmmaker is attending the Venice Film Festival with the world premiere of his short “Beauty Is not a Sin,” produced by Art + Vibes for Italian motorcycle brand MV Agusta, as well as the screening of his 1996 debut movie, “Pusher,” in Venice Classics.

While he claimed “cinema is dead” several years ago, Refn now finds that returning to moviemaking in the current context is an act of “defiance.”

“It’s a really interesting time to make movies because it’s such a chaotic situation,” he said. “So going back and making a theatrical feature film again is almost like — not starting over — but with all the changes in our societies in the last five years and technology changes, it almost seems like the right thing to do for me.”

He added, ”Feature film is still the mother of all mediums” and he’s eager to “re-experience that process.” His new movie is financed and will shoot next year. It’s based on an original story whose plot is under wraps, but it “will have a lot of glitter and lot of sex and violence,” Refn promised.

“I think it’s hard for me to escape my self-indulgent identity in creativity. So there will always be me in it,” he said.

Refn also hinted that the movie will bring back themes and characters inspired by his last features, “Only God Forgives” and “The Neon Demon.” Both were equally stylish and graphic, and created a stir at the Cannes Film Festival where they both competed in 2013 and 2016, respectively.

Refn is also working on two more projects, one of which is tied to gaming. He said he’s “very fascinated by what the technology can provide” and it’s the “only art form that continues to evolve with possibilities creatively.”

Refn asked, ”In a way, had the Lumiere brothers, when they invented film, invented computer games first, what would the world look like?”

Addressing the retrospective screening of “Pusher” and his short “Beauty Is not a Sin” at Venice, Refn said, “It’s a bit of a strange experience, having your past suddenly come up in this way” and said each title symbolized “[his] future and [his] past.”

MV Agusta’s ”Beauty Is Not a Sin” is the first commercial to world premiere in the official selection at the Venice Film Festival, and Refn predicted it will open a floodgate.

“From now on, every commercial is going to try to get into Venice,” he said, adding that he’s happy to help launch that because branded work represents an “opportunity for the future for filmmakers.”

Refn, who was given carte blanche to direct the short for MV Agusta and previously helmed the short “Touch of Crude” for fashion house Prada, said he sees “no difference between making an eight-minute movie and a traditional two-hour movie.”

Refn is also closely watching the U.S. presidential election and described it as the world’s greatest reality show. “We’re just waiting for the season finale,” he quipped.

“When all the politicians have fucked up the world and created so much war and inequality that is destroying humanity” he added, “the artist’s function is to come in and try to make it just a little more tolerable in the world.”
"
I'm in for whatever he's doing.

SJRB

Gold Member
On the one hand, Drive. On the other, Only God Forgives.

I’m in either way. It’s going to look and sound spectacular at the very least.

Porcile

When a YouTuber's career is in the pan, they make a video in Japan for easy views. Guess it's happening in Hollywood too now?

near

Gold Member

I bet that project is with Kojima, the only man that could make a filmmaker appreciate the video game art form.

thefool

Biggest issue with Refn is that he works with the type of people that love to smell their own farts. He's a great director, setting up pace, tone, controlling scene environments, etc but he's a lousy writer and only collaborates with even lousier ones.

near

Gold Member
One of these days I'll get around to finishing Copenhagen Cowboy, or maybe not. I dropped it after episode 4, can't for the life of me remember why.

CGNoire

One of these days I'll get around to finishing Copenhagen Cowboy, or maybe not. I dropped it after episode 4, can't for the life of me remember why.
His style way too slow paced for tv. 2hr film i can handle..but then stretch that pace over 10 hrs.....uggggghhhhh...

dsp

Both Copenhagen Cowboy and Too Old To Die Young were a bit too intense for me. I'm not casting a negative judgement. They're just too fucked up for me anymore. Though I really liked most of Too Old To Die Young and still watch some scenes in it from time to time.

I think The Neon Demon is his best work, though I've never seen the Punisher trilogy. That or Bronson. I liked Drive but I'd rather re-watch the other two I mentioned, both of which I've seen countless times. The Neon Demon's witchy and esoteric mix of displaying innocence, narcissism, and jealousy is really fucked. IIRC, he said the movie was inspired by social media and how it keeps on devouring young people. What better way to show that than by using the genuinely ruthless modelling industry set in tinseltown as backdrop. Real horror show that one.

I'll definitely be watching whatever he puts out next. Whether I love it or am horrified, his stuff is always entertaining to watch.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Both Copenhagen Cowboy and Too Old To Die Young were a bit too intense for me. I'm not casting a negative judgement. They're just too fucked up for me anymore. Though I really liked most of Too Old To Die Young and still watch some scenes in it from time to time.

I think The Neon Demon is his best work, though I've never seen the Punisher trilogy. That or Bronson. I liked Drive but I'd rather re-watch the other two I mentioned, both of which I've seen countless times. The Neon Demon's witchy and esoteric mix of displaying innocence, narcissism, and jealousy is really fucked. IIRC, he said the movie was inspired by social media and how it keeps on devouring young people. What better way to show that than by using the genuinely ruthless modelling industry set in tinseltown as backdrop. Real horror show that one.

I'll definitely be watching whatever he puts out next. Whether I love it or am horrified, his stuff is always entertaining to watch.
Neon Demon is probably his most interesting work, yeah. How many films consciously tackle a subject like narcissism in the entertainment and modeling industry? Usually it’s just being glorified on some level instead. I wonder how many zoomers watched that one without picking up on the underlying themes.

Verhoeven’s Showgirls comes to mind too, but that one was chronically misunderstood with its exploitation film veneer.

dsp

Neon Demon is probably his most interesting work, yeah. How many films consciously tackle a subject like narcissism in the entertainment and modeling industry? Usually it’s just being glorified on some level instead. I wonder how many zoomers watched that one without picking up on the underlying themes.

Verhoeven’s Showgirls comes to mind too, but that one was chronically misunderstood with its exploitation film veneer.

The Devil Wears Prada sort of tackles it a little bit from the advertising side. I think Miranda's last scene in that movie is the "Everyone wants to be us" line. But that one isn't a horror movie so Andrea realizes how cold and dead people are at the top and she rightfully leaves. Neon Demon really tackles a lot of that world from the narcissism, jealousy, the Nickelodean Problem, etc. It's just that instead of her soul being figuratively consumed through continued abuse from neurotic jealous girls, abusive industry workers, etc. they literally eat her.

It's a strange world and now that industry promotes an unhealthy so-called body positivity and whatever. Billboards of severely overweight women in underwear and so on. It's all so stupid. From an over-the-top beauty obsession to just totally saying fuck it, let's do the opposite, and neither of them seem healthy.

Toots

Gold Member
Ha, I had no idea. Just purchased it.

This should be Refn's next project, plain and simple.
Don't forget to watch the movie of the same name with Stallone
jlrk56A.jpeg

It has nothing to do with it it's one of those vanity projects movie Stallone made because after Rocky he really thought he could be what he portrayed as an actor, a bit like tom cruise nowdays - arguably cruise really could -)

Anyway Tokyo is a match made in heaven for Refn artistic direction, it will be a must watch if only for the imagery.

It's a strange world and now that industry promotes an unhealthy so-called body positivity and whatever. Billboards of severely overweight women in underwear and so on.
Well they hold true to their belief which is to promote unhealthy bodies.
Before it was unhealthy thin, now its unhealthy fat.
The idea being to keep people always wanting something that is actually not good for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom