• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Up to 40 Reviews & that 90 is holding strong.

hmP8qsL.png

Glory to Mankind.

Nah. I make games for a living and I don't think anything is "horrifically badly" in Nier.

Sure, the graphics are average (although art style is good) and the combat could be quite a bit better (just z-targetting would already make it a lot better) and it's already, imo, better than Assassin's Creed's combat for example.

It's much better than, say, Deadly Premonition, which is still a very entertaining game with great characters and story but really shifty technical/gameplay parts.

Indeed. I'm playing original Nier right now for the first time and it is not nearly as bad as some have suggested combat-wise. Certainly clunky at times, but also fun at others (such as getting in a crowd of enemies and doing that doppelganger magic attack).

LotusHD

Banned
Kotaku beat the game in 10 hours... Am I missing something? I thought we were expecting this to be 30-40 hours or something.

There are several endings. And no, they do not have you do the exact same thing over and over again. Honestly, just look at it as a game that takes 30+ hours to truly beat.

JayEH

Kotaku beat the game in 10 hours... Am I missing something? I thought we were expecting this to be 30-40 hours or something.

Ending A takes about 10 hours. The true ending would take about 30-40 depending on how much side quests you do.

That's putting down platinum's contribution. The vast majority of studios wouldn't have achieved this pair's up with Taro let alone with the budget given. This is however Platinum's 3rd game with universal acclaim.

The polish platinum gives to games cannot be understated.

This is as much Platinum's win as Taro's.

both of them should be celebrated, yes

we should keep in mind, this is the first time taro is working with a competent team

his earlier career is like if kojima had been stuck with present-day konami throughout his career

Audioboxer

I summon thee Jim Sterling for an 8/10 just to be a meanie towards GAF Nier fans :p

I'm legit at a cross-roads for what to do between this, Yakuza 0 and Horizon. Only buying one just now and I was waiting optimistically to see how Nier did. Far better than I expected. I'll play all three at some point, but prices for games in the UK market are pretty much holding at £40+ :( Gone are the days of £17.99~24.99 shortly after release.

Floody

This game is better than all of those great games.
1446069662163.jpg

But I'm already too poor. It sucks, but suppose I can go a week without food.
Really didn't expect this, Nioh, RE7 and Yakuza 0 to be so good, it's completely destroyed my gaming budget and plans and I'm only done with Yakuza so far.

LotusHD

Banned
I summon thee Jim Sterling for an 8/10 just to be a meanie towards GAF Nier fans :p

I'm legit at a cross-roads for what to do between this, Yakuza 0 and Horizon. Only buying one just now and I was waiting optimistically to see how Nier did. Far better than I expected. I'll play all three at some point, but prices for games in the UK market are pretty much holding at £40+ :( Gone are the days of £17.99~24.99 shortly after release.

When in doubt, just get Nier first. Horizon and Yakuza 0 are both good, but everytime I see people ask whether to get Nier or something else, it's always gonna be Nier for me lol

That's putting down platinum's contribution. The vast majority of studios wouldn't have achieved this pair's up with Taro let alone with the budget given. This is however Platinum's 3rd game with universal acclaim.

The polish platinum gives to games cannot be understated.

This is as much Platinum's win as Taro's.

Yup, it's everybody's win. And thanks to the OG Nier fans that never shut up about their cult classic lol

This is the very definition of a miracle game.

TissueBox

Yeah as folks have said...year of Nippon baby!! Crazy how much it's revolved around them for many gamers recently, with stuff like Yakuza, Nioh, P5, Nier, Zelda, and even the recent yester-year ones with Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Plus some great western releases and y'know this is gonna be one of them history-making years.

I call it...Back-to-Back '17..!!

I listed the US price (which is 24), I'm in Canada, getting it for less than $33 CAD after taxes (normal price would be $90 CAD after taxes here).

Amazon has E3 preorder deals which used to be 30% off in 2015 when this game got announced first. I pre-ordered it and Horizon back then. They had the game up for $71.99 (now regular prices for games are 79.99 + tax).

Then the following December they had another 30% off deal. There were only like 2 new games that had been announced since E3 that I was interested in ordering, and I didn't want multiple orders to sort through, so I asked Amazon CSR to combine the orders. I would later learn that a system glitch cause the 30% off from the E3 deal, and 30% off from the December deal to stack for every single unshipped game in the order.

And I've been effectively getting 60% off (from the lowest list price) on games that were part of that order since then.

2 copies of For Honor (60% of 49.99) were also part of the order that made me a decent profit while also giving the buyers a way to get a new copy on launch day a decent amount cheaper than retail. Same thing I'm doing for GR Wildlands tomorrow.

After that all I have is FF7 Remake and Sea Of Thieves left as part of that order.

Huh, interesting accidental loophole discount you got there. Funny how things work out sometimes. Since it's such a one in a million chance and you preordered it in 2015, I'm no longer somewhat jealous of the cheap price tag you got it at, lol. Congratulations!

acklame

This is crazy, another highly rated game in the first quarter. Going to be playing Horizon for a while but one day I'll catch up to yakuza/nioh/nier...

george_us

Generally I don't give a fuck about Metacritic scores, but Nier cracking the 90 barrier? Noddingbeardman.gif. If any group of creators deserve it, its Taro and Platinum. I have the utmost respect for creators who never compromise their vision regardless of market forces.

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch but how long about is the game? Really thinking about buying this but hoping it's not really short

But I'm already too poor. It sucks, but suppose I can go a week without food.
Really didn't expect this, Nioh, RE7 and Yakuza 0 to be so good, it's completely destroyed my gaming budget and plans and I'm only done with Yakuza so far.

Starve yourself then! You filthy heathen, you should buy all of these games and play them all day, everyday.

Just take your time and enjoy them all. They aren't going anywhere. Yakuza 0 is amazing.

KodaRuss

You need to beat the game multiple times to get thr true ending.

You mean they got to the first ending?

thing to note about Yoko Taro games, getting to the end is not beating the game

Apparently Kotaku is missing something.

Ending A takes about 10 hours. The true ending would take about 30-40 depending on how much side quests you do.

There are several endings. And no, they do not have you do the exact same thing over and over again. Honestly, just look at it as a game that takes 30+ hours to truly beat.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I assumed it would generally take the same amount of time for each ending which sounds like it is not the case. I guess this will be similar to Persona 4 Golden which takes a lot longer to get to different endings.

I will say though 10 hours to 30 hours is a huge difference.

Jiraiza

I have a great idea. Let Platinum Games at least collaborate on the next Final Fantasy. As it stands, the series is dead to me and I firmly believe that Platinum could legit make a huge difference.

I'll give you a pass and assume you're also including Taro when you say Platinum Games.

LotusHD

Banned
yoko taro has now succeeded both in making an exceptional game, and in making himself into a meme

lesser men dream of such success

He reminds me of the Deadpool movie. All this hilarious marketing while you're just waiting for the game/movie to come out. Then it does, and yes, it turns out it was amazing after all.

Audioboxer

When in doubt, just get Nier first. Horizon and Yakuza 0 are both good, but everytime I see people ask whether to get Nier or something else, it's always gonna be Nier for me lol

Yup, it's everybody's win. And thanks to the OG Nier fans that never shut up about their cult classic lol

This is the very definition of a miracle game.

If Jim gives it a
or
I'll buy it first. Jiiiiiim, no pressure bro! I can say this in jest, as Jim fucking Sterling son gives his honest opinion all the time, every time.

ps.
or
Jim.

Ahasverus

giphy.gif

SOOOO happy for the guys. I'll have to buy it way down the line, but this game is a passion project of which we see so very few (but they're coming often these days which is good!). It deserves everything.

Who would have thought Horizon would be the lower rated release this month.. Ha. 2017 is crazy.

LotusHD

Banned
If Jim gives it a
or
I'll buy it first. Jiiiiiim, no pressure bro! I can say this in jest, as Jim fucking Sterlin son gives his honest opinion all the time, every time.

ps.
or
Jim.

He loved the demo alone, and the full game is obviously a lot more meaty, so I feel like he'll give it a good score most likely.

Top Bottom