• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS features everybody keeps missing/incorrectly assuming (free circle jerk!)

Rahul

Alright, I've had it with all these threads of people clueless/assumptive about certain underadvertised aspects of DS. We need to make a comprehensive list of what it can and cannot do, confirmed by quotes/sources/etc. Not the obvious stuff like "it has two screens", since everyone knows the 4 big features Nintendo has talked about.

- The face buttons and d-pad can be made interchangeable for left-handed and right-handed people when using the stylus. I presume this is a software setting.
- It can play GBA titles, but does not support linking or GC-GBA connectivity (though this may be upturned soon as the GBA port does seem to be able to receive information, see next point)
- There will be a Nintendo service allowing you to stream information from a theatre while watching a Nintendo-produced movie (in Japan). Nintendo is also thinking of using this to allow consumers to demo software.
- More often than not, one cart can be used to stream to other DS', allowing for multiplayer with only one cart. This is up to the developer though.
- The idea is that having a DS in an internet hotspot will allow you to connect through the hotspot to another DS gamer anywhere in the world. This has not been implemented yet.
- It has auto-sleep and auto-pause when you close it
- It has auto-wake which can be activated by the software when another DS is in the vicinity

There's also something brewing about there actually being a capability for anti-aliasing/texture filtering/perspective correction but not being impemented in games. I'm not sure.

What else?

Edit: goddamnit@topic :p

Rahul

IJoel said:
Just what we needed... ANOTHER DS thread.

Sorry that it makes you uncomfortable, but I'm merely pursuing actual knowledge as opposed to what you seem to be doing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This thread wouldn't suck if what WAS in and what wasn't in was separated....

P90

Rahul said:
Sorry that it makes you uncomfortable, but I'm merely pursuing actual knowledge as opposed to what you seem to be doing.

zing! thumbs up. thanks for the info.

There's also something brewing about there actually being a capability for anti-aliasing/texture filtering/perspective correction but not being impemented in games. I'm not sure.

I don't believe that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DS has the hardware support for perspective correction, and I think most games actually show that (some don't, for whatever reason). No texure filtering of any kind, though (if you don't count point filtering as filtering, that is).

Memles

I was under the impressions that the downloads to the GBA slot would send information to the DS game, which would then interact with the GameBoy Game. So sue me, but I really think the DS does all the work, and the GBA cartridge connects with the system/game involved.

I also felt it would be kiosks in lobbies where players could download the scene from the movie onto their DS and maybe play a short game demo or get a free Pokemon; I did not think they would be sitting in the movie theatre with a lit device and downloading something onto their DS.

Rahul

Memles said:
I was under the impressions that the downloads to the GBA slot would send information to the DS game, which would then interact with the GameBoy Game. So sue me, but I really think the DS does all the work, and the GBA cartridge connects with the system/game involved.

I also felt it would be kiosks in lobbies where players could download the scene from the movie onto their DS and maybe play a short game demo or get a free Pokemon; I did not think they would be sitting in the movie theatre with a lit device and downloading something onto their DS.

Iwata said:
"On a related subject, we're planning to integrate the DS with movie theatres. By using the system's wireless functionality, users that bring their DS and GBA Pokémon cartridge to designated theatres will be able to download game data that will be distributed during certain scenes of the next Pokémon movie. In one scene where the main characters meet a new Pokémon, that character's data will be sent to the cartridges. This will be the first time such a distribution scheme has been used anywhere in the world."

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56833

They don't mention a DS game or cart here. The implication is that it's sent to the DS during the movie, not at a kiosk. If you read the article, however, they are ALSO considering kiosk downloads.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Could it be possible to hook a NDS up to a TV/Monitor, like shown at the demonstrations?

I am not sure where the cable connects in the back. I hope the cable is available.

Rahul

Society said:
Could it be possible to hook a NDS up to a TV/Monitor, like shown at the demonstrations?

I am not sure where the cable connects in the back. I hope the cable is available.

The first problem with that is DS has two screens, so what is going to arrange for the output to a TV screen? You'd need some sort of software that combines the two images for one screen. Good question actually.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Rahul said:
Man, first Nintendo fans take down the forum, then they snip at anyone that disagrees with them... They really are kicking ass and taking names!

Rahul

fennec fox said:
Man, first Nintendo fans take down the forum, then they snip at anyone that disagrees with them... They really are kicking ass and taking names!

Sorry, I'm not a Nintendo fan. However, if the first reply to a topic I post denounces the validity of its existence regardless of its content, I'm going to take up my right to smack bitches.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Rahul said:
The first problem with that is DS has two screens, so what is going to arrange for the output to a TV screen? You'd need some sort of software that combines the two images for one screen. Good question actually.

A simple frame with 2 (stacked) screens like shown in the video demos is fine.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo should really consider a kiosk download model for full software distribution and not just demos. Similar to their NP system in Japan, just write the selected game to the blank DS card right there... that'd be a real revolution for the industry.

IJoel

fennec fox said:

It's the mods' fault really. They should've made 2 sticky threads. One for the DS hardware and another for the games. Simple as that. This has turned into IGN Cube.

P90

fennec fox said:

Cry baby. There is lots of fun in the PSP threads as well. Handheld are owning the forums. Get used to it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:
Nintendo should really consider a kiosk download model for full software distribution and not just demos. Similar to their NP system in Japan, just write the selected game to the blank DS card right there... that'd be a real revolution for the industry.
iQue?

MattCoz

Its a software renderer, it can do whatever you program it to do. It's just too slow when using features like that.

shpankey

not an idiot
IJoel said:
Just what we needed... ANOTHER DS thread.

Good Lord, this is getting stupid. Almost every thread going is a DS thread. The circle-jerking is at an altime GAF high, and that's saying something.

cja

IJoel said:
It's the mods' fault really. They should've made 2 sticky threads. One for the DS hardware and another for the games. Simple as that. This has turned into IGN Cube.
And the forum was basically IGN PSP at TGS. No doubt it'll be IGN Xbox around November 9th too.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Jesus people, there was a video game event which showed near final games for a new system launch that is 6 weeks away. It is not like people are just making up topics to piss people off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Its a software renderer, it can do whatever you program it to do. It's just too slow when using features like that.
I don't think it's a software rendered anymore. I've heard from several sources that some 3D hardware does exist in it (for Perspective correction and z-buffering for example)

Not enough Nintendo Hate on the board for your tastes?

Not liking the DS topics...over to the rt you'll see the scroll bar.

Top Bottom