• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS - October 7th 2004 announcement predictions

Chittagong

Gold Member
My predictions of what will be announced:

NINTENDO ANNOUNCES STRONG EXCLUSIVE LAUNCH LINEUP FOR NINTENDO DS
New first-party games demonstrate unique, innovative features of Nintendo DS
Momentum continues in early 2005 with further titles

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 7, 2004 - Nintendo announced today an exciting first-party launch lineup for Nintendo DS, the dual-screened, hand-held video game system redefining the idea of interactive entertainment. The initial launch lineup for Nintendo DS includes exclusive new installments of Nintendo's most loved franchises - Super Mario 64x4, Animal Crossing DS and Wario Ware DS.

"We are thrilled to launch the Nintendo DS with a stellar trio of Nintendo favorites. A real power punch is delivered by using the new games to demonstrate the revolutionary new gameplay possibilities the Nintendo DS offers", says Reggie Fils-Aime, Vice President of Sales and Marketing of Nintendo of America. "The launch trio is perfect for demonstrating the exclusive new features of Nintendo DS - wireless multiplayer gaming in Super Mario 64x4, innovative use of the second screen as an input in Animal Crossing DS, and unique new style of gameplay using the touch screen in Wario Ware DS. "

For 2005 and beyond, Nintendo announced further unique, innovative games. Gamers can expect to get their hands on Nintendogs, a virtual dog simulation, Mario Kart DS, the dual screen version of the world's most popular karting game, New Super Mario Bros (working title), and all new Mario adventure, as well as Metroid Prime Hunters, into which gamers get a first peek with the free preview version included with the Nintendo DS system, Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt. Further details of these games will be revealed at a later date.

=W=

NINTENDO REVOLUTIONIZES GAMES! ENTIRETY OF POPULACE PREORDERS NDS! NINTENDO #1 AGAIN! WORLD EXPLODES!

Mashing

You know, it really does say something about the prestige Metroid has a franchise now. In the past they would have bundled a mario demo and not a metroid demo. I couldn't be more delighted though. Either that, or the Mario game is just not far enough along in development for a good demo.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I predict good things. Hopefully there'll be an E3 level press kit (like the one that came in 1996 to introduce the N64 at E3) so we'll get nice screens of all the games in development.
We'll probably finally find out (from the horses mouth I mean) exactly what that mystery port on the machine is all about. We'll get to know game prices, and hopefully the Warp Pipe guys are tunneling up something cool.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
I predict good things. Hopefully there'll be an E3 level press kit (like the one that came in 1996 to introduce the N64 at E3) so we'll get nice screens of all the games in development.
We'll probably finally find out (from the horses mouth I mean) exactly what that mystery port on the machine is all about. We'll get to know game prices, and hopefully the Warp Pipe guys are tunneling up something cool.

That mystery port was revealed to be for an external mic a long time ago.

GDGF

Soothsayer
GaimeGuy said:
That mystery port was revealed to be for an external mic a long time ago.

I know, I just want to hear what Nintendo says the mic/headset will be used for (since there is already a mic built into the unit)

Memles

I refuse to believe there will not be a single, unexpected game from Nintendo at launch.

They claim to have 20 in development. More than three will make launch, I say.

Cruel Bastard Mario said:
I know, I just want to hear what Nintendo says the mic/headset will be used for (since there is already a mic built into the unit)

Ditto.

It would be hilarious if the reason we haven't seen the bottom of the system is because it has SIM compatability and also transmits on triband/FM/GPRS. Which obviously isn't going to happen...

but sidetalking would have left an unforgotten legacy that way! Difference being Nintendo would have realised it looked stupid and offered external mic/phones

Memles

Launch Lineup - November 21st
Super Mario 64(DS or x4)
Nintendogs
Wario Ware DS
Unannounced Game.

Two weeks after Launch - December 7th
Animal Crossing DS
Unannounced Game

The Unannounced games could range from tech demos to entirely new software. I think they've got at least one surprise up their sleeve software wise, though.

Well, they are obviously going to announce the launch line up of the Nintendo DS. I'm sure it'll include several titles from Nintendo, and third party love as well.

Nintendo announce that the DS was just a cruel hoax.
They then give details on the "nomad" hand held that plays GCN disks and "256x" gamecube graphics booster strategies.
Iwata confirms the new code name for the next Nintendo console has been changed to "uranus". It will debut at a price point of $499us.

I'm just looking for more screen shots and an up-to-date release list of 1st and 3rd party games.

I wanna see some nice 2d games made for the DS. I think they'd look HOT!!!!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
SantaCruZer said:
Full version of Metroid hunter

I don't think we'll see that, not at launch. I think the main reason we're getting a demo of that game in particular and not another is that they want to show it off, but it's not ready yet.

Jason Rubin, Mizuguchi, and Sakaguchi connect like voltron to wield mystic triforce powers.
This process is being overseen by Itagaki who directs the pure underworld energy into a shield-net which blocks the NDS from successfully penetrating a mass market share. This is dubbed the 'perfect storm' strategem. But rather than being coordinated by Sony or Microsoft it is being coordinated by the egyptian god of the dead, Anubis

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Heliocentric said:
Nintendo announce that the DS was just a cruel hoax.
They then give details on the "nomad" hand held that plays GCN disks and "256x" gamecube graphics booster strategies.
Iwata confirms the new code name for the next Nintendo console has been changed to "uranus". It will debut at a price point of $499us.

I just laughed so hard I had to SLAP MY KNEE A BUNCH OF TIMES!

SantaC

Mama Smurf said:
I don't think we'll see that, not at launch. I think the main reason we're getting a demo of that game in particular and not another is that they want to show it off, but it's not ready yet.

that's what I thought, however metroid has a tradition of launching in november latley.

jarrod

Banned
Heliocentric said:
Jason Rubin, Mizuguchi, and Sakaguchi connect like voltron to wield mystic triforce powers.
This is all overseen by Itagaki who directs this pure mystic energy into a shield-net which blocks the NDS from successfully penetrating a mass market share. This is dubbed a 'perfect storm' strategy but rather than being coordinated by SOny or Microsoft it's being coordinated by the egyptian god of the dead, Anubis
Close but Itagaki is actually behind DS...

Soul4ger

Heliocentric said:
This process is being overseen by Itagaki who directs the pure underworld energy into a shield-net which blocks the NDS from successfully penetrating a mass market share. This is dubbed the 'perfect storm' strategem. But rather than being coordinated by Sony or Microsoft it is being coordinated by the egyptian god of the dead, Anubis

Y.. Yeah, Team Ninja is making a game for DS already. Welcome to May.

Maybe not at launch, but I fathom a Mario Paint DS coming up. With the new storage catridges, space shouldn't be as big a issue.

For launch, a Super Smash Bros DS. With a few of the levels being big enough for 16 fighters at once.

jarrod

Banned
Oh, and for launch games...

-Super Mario 64 DS
-Wario Ware Inc, DS
-Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (pack-in)

-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Mr Driller DS (Namco)
-Puyo Pop Fever (Sega)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-Asphalt GT (UbiSoft)
-Bomberman DS (Konami)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami)
-Organizer Plus (SummitSoft)

Mama Smurf

Well I didn't think 10 years ago counted as lately, so I didn't mention it.

It could come out next November...

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Oh, and for launch games...

-Super Mario 64 DS
-Wario Ware Inc, DS
-Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (pack-in)

-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Mr Driller DS (Namco)
-Puyo Pop Fever (Sega)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
-Asphalt GT (UbiSoft)
-Bomberman DS (Konami)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami)
-Organizer Plus (SummitSoft)

I'm thinking Square Enix will have something ready by launch. Or perhaps I should say, deluding myself.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I'm thinking Square Enix will have something ready by launch. Or perhaps I should say, deluding myself.
Egg Monster Heroes for JP launch sure, but it won't hit the US until next spring I'm guessing.

Eric-GCA

Banned
If the DS is nothing more than an N64 port-box then its going to be a serious dissapointment. I hope Nintendo are smarter than that.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Egg Monster Heroes for JP launch sure, but it won't hit the US until next spring I'm guessing.

I'm hoping for a surprise port or something. Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger or something. Might not take advantage of the touch screen, but it's already translated. But, again, deluding myself. You know, if they do a port of Secret of Mana, it would rule school if SE would make it the SNES CD version. Deluding myself.

FoneBone

I'm not so sure that Egg Monster Heroes will make it over here, given that none of the other games in the series have.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I'm hoping for a surprise port or something. Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger or something. Might not take advantage of the touch screen, but it's already translated. But, again, deluding myself. You know, if they do a port of Secret of Mana, it would rule school if SE would make it the SNES CD version. Deluding myself.
Square Enix USA has a stacked handheld lineup with Final Fantasy 1&2: Dawn of Souls and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories already. Sure they're not DS games, but they're playable on DS... how long was it until Square or Enix's US branches had PS2 games ready?

I wouldn't doubt Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu 2 showing up on DS eventually though...

jarrod

Banned
FoneBone said:
I'm not so sure that Egg Monster Heroes will make it over here, given that none of the other games in the series have.
Egg Monster Heroes is the US title actually, the JP title is Hanjuku Eiyuu DS. It's coming.

Mama Smurf

Eric-GCA said:
If the DS is nothing more than an N64 port-box then its going to be a serious dissapointment. I hope Nintendo are smarter than that.

They've shown one port so far, which isn't even that bad as it's main focus is a multiplayer game that the original title never contained. I'm sure we'll see more, but we've already seen a hell of a lot more non-N64 ports than ports, so I don't know where this idea is coming from.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Square Enix USA has a stacked handheld lineup with Final Fantasy 1&2: Dawn of Souls and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories already. Sure they're not DS games, but they're playable on DS... how long was it until Square or Enix's US branches had PS2 games ready?

I wouldn't doubt Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu 2 showing up on DS eventually though...

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is releasing FFI&II and Disney Interactive is doing Kingdom Hearts, which pretty much clears Square of much of the burden. I may've heard incorrectly, though. Like I said, I'm not so much expecting as hoping. It would be a nice surprise.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Eric-GCA said:

Yes that sure would be a waste of the second screen, touch screen and mic functionality now wouldn't it?

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
They've shown one port so far, which isn't even that bad as it's main focus is a multiplayer game that the original title never contained. I'm sure we'll see more, but we've already seen a hell of a lot more non-N64 ports than ports, so I don't know where this idea is coming from.
The same camp who thinks GBA got nothing but SNES ports and PSP is destined for nothing but PS2 ports...

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is releasing FFI&II and Disney Interactive is doing Kingdom Hearts, which pretty much clears Square of much of the burden. I may've heard incorrectly, though. Like I said, I'm not so much expecting as hoping. It would be a nice surprise.
Publishing yes, but localization was all handled inhouse.

Mama Smurf said:

Are we talking about SM64x4 or Animal Crossing here? :p

But honestly though, I've yet to see a significant number of ports anywhere on the system. The claim is just a rather silly assumption, and feels just as silly on the GBA. I'm sorry, but SNES ports? I still don't quite get the thinking that majoritty of the GBA library is ports. Too many games for that to be possible. Maybe a good fraction, but certainly not a majority.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Publishing yes, but localization was all handled inhouse.

FFI&II is essentially done, though, with Origins already hitting PSone. It's a possibility, I think, though a small one. LET ME DREAM A LITTLE DREAM.

*Edit* - SE only has FMA on the PS2, also, though I'm sure people are plugging away at next year's big three. Like I said, some mystery port wouldn't require a lot of work. But FFI&II, the more I think about it, will likely fill my portable RPG void for the rest of the year, anyway, so it's not a terribly big deal. Just a nice thought.

john tv

Soul4ger said:
FFI&II is essentially done, though, with Origins already hitting PSone. It's a possibility, I think, though a small one. LET ME DREAM A LITTLE DREAM.
FFI&II Advance has an updated script, whereas the PS1 Origins versions did not. The entire thing was relocalized from scratch at Square Enix, and the translation quality is apparently much better this time around (I can't compare, as I never bothered with the US Origins, but I'm told Dawn of Souls is vastly improved).

-J

Soul4ger

john tv said:
FFI&II Advance has an updated script, whereas the PS1 Origins versions did not. The entire thing was relocalized from scratch at Square Enix, and the translation quality is apparently much better this time around (I can't compare, as I never bothered with the US Origins, but I'm told Dawn of Souls is vastly improved).

-J

Well, even though it dashes what hope I might've had, that's still awesome news. Thanks.

skip

the event takes place on thursday and friday. not sure what kind of media embargo NOA has in effect for the online sites, though, so we'll see when info comes out. I imagine it'll be same day.

mj1108

Sho Nuff said:
I can't believe there will only be three games at launch. Are more to be announced?

Who said just 3 games at launch?

I'm predicting lots of dancing purple bananas.

Top Bottom