• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS pictochat question…

fbcamp

Banned
I just wanted to know if you had to be within the 60 foot max radius in order to use the thing. Seems pointless to chat with someone on this thing if they’re only a few feet away you. I was initially under the impression that with the chat feature you could communicate with people from all over the place. Why else would they have a limit of 4 chatrooms that could hold 16 people each?

I do see this as being nifty tool if you want to communicate in a classroom or at work, but still you shouldn’t be using this shit at these places anyway.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I believe IGN has gotten it to work over a span of 100 ft, WITH walls and obstacles in between the units. Consistent connection, that is.

BuddyC

fbcamp said:
I do see this as being nifty tool if you want to communicate in a classroom or at work, but still you shouldn’t be using this shit at these places anyway.
ARE YOU NOW OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A MEMBER OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY?

it's for the kids. Think of how cool that would have been when you were a kid. It would be perfect to play with on the bus. Though I'd probably be playing something like Metroid Hunters instead.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
seismologist said:
it's for the kids. Think of how cool that would have been when you were a kid. It would be perfect to play with on the bus.

an innovative new dimension of bullying

fbcamp

Banned
Thanks for the reply guys... I'm really disappointed to hear I can't chat with people from around the city, but there's still hope for some sort of long range online component in the future.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
It's wierd how it relays signals. I'm no technical genius, but the other day we had Player 1 60 feet from Player 2, who was 60 feet from Player 3. So Player 3 is over 60 feet from Player 1, but since they are connected to Player 2 in the same chatroom, all 3 could talk to each other. So basically, position your guys at 60 foot intervals and you can communicate from across the city for free! True story.

The Wavebird controllers work from much farther than the 20 feet Nintendo claims.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the DS works from greater distances than claimed as well.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Eggo said:
It's wierd how it relays signals. I'm no technical genius, but the other day we had Player 1 60 feet from Player 2, who was 60 feet from Player 3. So Player 3 is over 60 feet from Player 1, but since they are connected to Player 2 in the same chatroom, all 3 could talk to each other. So basically, position your guys at 60 foot intervals and you can communicate from across the city for free! True story.

Its like a web.. NINTENDO INVENTED THE INTERNET

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I always thought it was obvious that pictochat existed to set up matches. Since DS's are aware the obvious intent is to spontaneously game with other DS's, but you need a way to communicate (find out what games they have, etc).

Brofist

I thought the question was going to be "who is actually going to still be using it after a weeks time?".

Sein

Neo Member
fbcamp said:
II do see this as being nifty tool if you want to communicate in a classroom or at work, but still you shouldn’t be using this shit at these places anyway.

Hell, if you're at work, using IM is much less conspicuous than playing with a DS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Eggo said:
Nintendo invented the internet.

Unison

I think the wireless DS play could be really fun on airplanes or at the airport... That's when you're gonna really appreaciate it!

lexi

Banned
Unison said:
I think the wireless DS play could be really fun on airplanes or at the airport... That's when you're gonna really appreaciate it!

only adults go to aiports omg lollerskates

Top Bottom