• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS - RSA Secured

olimario

Banned
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nintendo-inside.jp%2Fevent%2Fnw2k4%2Frsa_secured.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

rsa.jpg

RSA Security
http://www.rsasecurity.com/

The Company

RSA Security helps organizations protect private information and manage the identities of the people and applications accessing and exchanging that information. RSA Security’s portfolio of solutions—including identity & access management, secure mobile & remote access, secure enterprise access, secure transactions and consumer identity protection —are all designed to provide the most seamless e-security experience in the market.

What does this mean for the DS?

It means that pedophiles and other sick bastards that try and target kids via a DS unit are going to have a tougher time doing it.

aoi tsuki

i'm thinking it means greater security between the DS and certain devices, like kiosks. Perhaps another layer of security to thwart the downloading of game data since both the DS and the kiosk would need the same key per session in order to connect.

Plus DS is a real communication device. Nintendo has to do something like this, because it does raise privacy issues and like the scenario I mentioned above -- some pretty seedy aspects.

The last thing Nintendo wants is parents to feel unsafe about their kids using their handheld game machine.

aaaaa0

It probably means that Nintendo licensed some software and algorithms from RSA Software for their encryption protocols. Nothing special, everyone uses the same algorithms -- probably RC4 cause you need it for SSL, and RSA for certificates.

snapty00

Banned
What about the cartridges themselves? I know GBA ROMs were easy to dump. I can't imagine Nintendo going through that again.

fart

Savant
it means the DS is filled with magic elves that transport themselves in radio chariots over the airwaves

Does anyone know if you can multiplayer with a US DS and a PAL DS.
I know the system is region free but does that also go for the wireless linking?

hirokazu

.:RaZieL:. said:
Does anyone know if you can multiplayer with a US DS and a PAL DS.
I know the system is region free but does that also go for the wireless linking?

there's no such thing as US or PAL DS, they're likely the same. this would more likely be a factor with the software, so it'd depend on whether the software from one region works with those from another, just like with GBA.

Damn, don't know what to do.
I live in Holland and some American friend will be coming over here in January.

Get one in January or hold out to de March PAL release?
Damn this is hard.

Suerte

Damn, don't know what to do.
I live in Holland and some American friend will be coming over here in January.

Get one in January or hold out to de March PAL release?
Damn this is hard.

Why wait longer AND pay more?

Because i want to link my ds with my PAL friends.
I don't want to risk being the loser in the corner playing alone on my US DS
while my friends are having a multiplayer party. :lol

Because i want to link my ds with my PAL friends.
I don't want to risk being the loser in the corner playing alone on my US DS
while my friends are having a multiplayer party. :lol

*pokes you* I believe the DS is not region locked, meaning any game from anywhere can play on any DS in the world. Mutliplayer should not be a problem as long as you buy the PAL games for multicart multiplayer. You should be fine when it comes to single cart multi though, like SM64. So feel free to get a US DS and buy PAL games.

Top Bottom