• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Still missing analog stick!

DSN2K

WOW.

new :D

DS.JPG

old :(

main_DSoverview_lrg.jpg

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Definitely looks better. An odd 80ies like shape tho. I wish they'd have integrated the top display more with the base of the unit.

explodet

And they did it without removing the headphone jack!
Seriously though, much improved from the earlier model.

Looks like they switched the power and select/start buttons.
And is it me or is it looking even more like a Game and Watch now?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Now thats what Im talking about.

Grubdog

Banned
Damn, beaten. :p

http://www.gcadvanced.com/

Nintendo Announces Official Name and New Design for Nintendo DS; More Than 120 Games in Development Worldwide for Nintendo's New Game Platform

Today, Nintendo has formally announced the official name of their next handheld, and "third pillar". First there was the Nintendo DS, then we found out about the name the "Nitro". The it was back to the DS again. Nintendo has offically gone on record to say that the new system's name will be Nintendo DS. The name was chosen because it represents the product as "dual-screen" so natively.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says
Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat
functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition --
these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will
benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to
the world of video games."

The hardware announcements that came may also come to make people happy:

# Redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look.
# Features a thinner, black base
and an angular platinum flip-top cover
# Face buttons and shoulder
buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use
# Includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus
# The speakers now broadcast in stereo sound with or without headphones

Nintendo also announced that the developer support list for the DS is now 100 software companies strong. There are over 120 titles currently in development with at least 20 of them coming from Nintendo themselves.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device,
while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a
social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's
executive vice president of sales and marketing. "We've figured out
the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers.
We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

The launch date, launch price, and launch game line-up at a later date still.

cvxfreak

Anyone know what the two buttons atop the triangle four are for? Did they move the shoulder buttons?

EDIT: It seems to be the START/SELECT buttons.

aoi tsuki

nitendo_ds_closed.jpg

nintendo_ds_open.jpg

Much better, though the upper half of the unit owns the bottom half, and closed it looks like an 80s telephone handset.

Rhindle

Nintendoo DS. Is that the official name?

Anyway, this one looks halfway decent. It now looks like a chinese Casio-knockoff PDA (which is a massive improvement over the E3 prototype).

Looks as though gaming "journalism" has come to pasting in press releases. :rolleyes:

That aside though, I love the new look. Might sound stupid, but that looks more like a system that could take on PSP than the original design.

SOLD.

I am buying one. Haha... Good work Nintendo. Looks wicked. Very smart with that groove/indent on the front cover. Looks somewhat futuristic/hightech metrodish. If that makes sense. The silver rocks.

mj1108

CVXFREAK said:
Anyone know what the two buttons atop the triangle four are for? Did they move the shoulder buttons?

EDIT: It seems to be the START/SELECT buttons.

It is. :)

Image_88faa8b1-5dff-444b-bda9-846a7c1b0a2d.jpg

Another from Nintendo Europe:
Image_211b504b-e4e3-40f8-9296-94994e36cd9b.jpg

It also looks like the A,B,X,Y buttons are larger now?

Grubdog

Banned
DS is awesome. :D

CVXFREAK said:
I think the power button might be in a bad place though... what if someone accidentally presses it?
Maybe that's just for sleep mode or something? I remember something about your DS "waking up". It does seem like an odd place if that's the power button though..

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CVXFREAK said:
I think the power button might be in a bad place though... what if someone accidentally presses it?

Thats the same thought I had!
Especially people with bigger hands... :(

Damnit Nintendo!

I like it. I might even buy one at launch. I just hope the system isn't flooded with Mario 64-ish style collect-a-thon platformers and FPS - in other words, i hope it's not just a portable Nintendo 64. The few games previewed seem to indicate some originality, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

explodet

CVXFREAK said:
If it was up to me I'd have the power button require the user to hold it down for a few seconds to shut it off.

But then it's not up to me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
CVXFREAK said:
Good point, I forgot about it...

I assume there is a slot for the stylus on the back of the DS.

I'll be the first to say it but I now think the DS looks better than PSP. visually

As for specs+usability

clam shell +1
power/battery life +1

The DS owns the little PSP bitch

btrboyev

my guess is the stylus is probably on the back of the unit or better a nice little slot on the bottom of the unit. anybody else think the screens are bigger?

Top Bottom