• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: the new design !

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I hope we do see multiple colours, I kind of expect it with Nintendo consoles now.

Having said that, I'll probably still get silver.

ge-man

StrikerObi said:
IAWTP, let's just hope Animal Crossing makes launch (I'm pretty sure Wario will).

Sadly, Super Mario 64x4 isn't really a killer app. We've all played Mario 64 before, give us something new.

Now, maybe if they release that "NEW Super Mario Bros" game at launch...

That sidesrolling Mario game looked neat. I would love to have Mario game that plays a lot like quest mode in SSM:B. All they need to do is find a clever way of using the bottom screen--something in the vain of Four Swords where you pulled into a different section yet you have to keep track of what's going on in both realms.

Memles

Mama Smurf said:
He's making sure he gets one.

Do we even know if Mario 64's single player is in the game?

From some reports, no. The assumption was made, of course, and in some there was even talk of switching out of the four characters mid-game...but not official, no.

Greekboy

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Good to see that Nintendo decided to release the 'SP' version outta the gate this time.

They had to because they're up against the PSP. GBA was up against nothing and afforded Nintendo the luxury to come with the GBA first and then reinvigorate the market with the GBA SP. Very smart business move by them.

P.S. As for the DS it looks solid but I don't see the "hotness" in it as many do.

Deg

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
They had to because they're up against the PSP. GBA was up against nothing and afforded Nintendo the luxury to come with the GBA first and then reinvigorate the market with the GBA SP. Very smart business move by them.

Let go of the Nintendo handheld hate.

Greekboy

Banned
Deg said:
Let go of the Nintendo handheld hate.

The only consoles I've ever bought at launch: SNES, N64 and GCN. Come again? I don't hate the GBA or the PSP. I hope the PSP and DS both do well. I just see everything for what it is.

Che

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
psp_screen009.jpg

You're telling me this is an analog trackball or whatever? Either they changed the design after E3, but right now you can see on the other side of the metallic grid, and what does it look like? A ring shaped form that pretty much ressemble a speaker suspension.

So they changed it after E3? Did anyone at E3 actually touch it to see what it was like?

OMG! PSP looks huge in this pic! What's wrong?

edit: Lisa Lashes is a joke account right?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OMG! PSP looks huge in this pic! What's wrong?
Yeah, that picture has been used by many a PSP detractor to laugh at it's size :p That is, before the actual comparision photos/videos with GBA and DS were made where it became obvious that on that photo, camera lens is obviously distorting the size of the unit.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd like a direct size comparison (in inches across for the stupid) of the PSP and NDS. I must know the size difference!

(oh and Jarrod, check the Snowbo thread. New NDS games announced for your list!)

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, that picture has been used by many a PSP detractor to laugh at it's size :p That is, before the actual comparision photos/videos with GBA and DS were made where it became obvious that on that photo, camera lens is obviously distorting the size of the unit.

No the person is small. The PSP is also infront of the person. Making the PSP look bigger than it is.

PSP is a little wider than the old GBA.

Che

Banned
human5892 said:
Right. 2D games, while fun in 1994, are no longer fun at all in this 3D future. That is why when I attempt to play Super Mario World, I want to beat myself in the face with a hammer.

DS = BOMB-BOMB, 2D IS STUPID.

EDIT - For those of you who say, "But Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario Kart DS are 3D," shut up. That isn't true. They're 2D because the DS is a 2D machine. IT'S 2004 NOT 1892!!!!

LOL!!!

Oh and thanks for the info about the photo guys.

Greekboy

Banned
Che said:
edit: Lisa Lashes is a joke account right?

Um no. Because I stated the obvious that Nintendo had the luxury to release a GBA and then the GBA SP to both maximize profits and keep a buzz going for their handheld. And that they can't necessarily do that now because the PSP will be there too?

Great logic pal.

djtiesto said:
No, just a joke of a DJ... haha j/k ;)

I'm a huge Tiesto fan but his stuff today is mainly commercial junk. His stuff from 4-5 years ago was so much better.

btrboyev said:
is it using bigger screens now? they look much wider..like 16:9.
This comment hasn't been repeated much in the last few hundred replies... but it appears to be true. Looking at the measurements of the top screen in an image program, it does appear to be 16:9, which doesn't seem to match with the 256x192 resolution we know. So what's the deal?

3phemeral

DSN2K said:
why not give it a PSP screen and blue tint ;)

LOL2.jpg

Newbie said:
goldds.jpg

Shiny gold

These two colors == me want :) Plus the original HAWT ^_^

I've never understood why people think the PSP looks nice, perhaps in comparion to the old NDS design it was... but seeing the new Nintendo DS makes the PSP look even less so. o_O

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JoshuaJSlone said:
This comment hasn't been repeated much in the last few hundred replies... but it appears to be true. Looking at the measurements of the top screen in an image program, it does appear to be 16:9, which doesn't seem to match with the 256x192 resolution we know. So what's the deal?
Maybe the render of the new unit is a little off in its proportions -- the press release mentions nothing about bigger screens, which you'd think would be something to crow about if true.

Unless Nintendo forgot to mention a screen size increase (or wants to keep it secret...you never know with them), I think the screens are probably the same, regardless of how it appears in the render.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The deal is that the top screen is tilted on that photo.

Che

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
Um no. Because I stated the obvious that Nintendo had the luxury to release a GBA and then the GBA SP to both maximize profits and keep a buzz going for their handheld. And that they can't necessarily do that now because the PSP will be there too?

Great logic pal.

I'm a huge Tiesto fan but his stuff today is mainly commercial junk. His stuff from 4-5 years ago was so much better.

If you're not a joke account you're a whiney bitch account. 99% of your comments in GAF are negative and quite annoying.

Greekboy

Banned
Che said:
If you're not a joke account you're a whiney bitch account. 99% of your comments in GAF are negative and quite annoying.

Lie. Check my post history and then I shall await your apology.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Deg said:
What do you guys think about the black buttons and the power button.
Black buttons = sweet
Power button = I'll have to hold the unit and see if there's a chance of me ever hitting it, because I can't tell from just looking at the picture.

Che

Banned
Deg said:
What do you guys think about the black buttons and the power button.

Black buttons are cool, but I don't like the position of the power button. Btw don't you guys think that the analog stick is kinda difficult to be implemented due to the fact that DS is "folding"?

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's most likely either for standby mode (the mode where your NDS searches for and detects any other NDS in a close proximity) or to toggle the backlight. I'm sure it still has a regular on/off switch on the back or something.

3phemeral

Yea, the power button seems to be in an odd place but I'm assuming it's a sleep function, like some other people have been mentioning.

jett

D-Member
human5892 said:
Hahaha, that would be sweet.

The PSP would be improved x9 if it had a clamshell design like this.

YES!! I've been saying that for the longest time. It would actually become portable then. :p

That and your screen wouldn't get scratched to hell.

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
YES!! I've been saying that for the longest time. It would actually become portable then. :p

That and your screen wouldn't get scratched to hell.
PSP SP? Maybe they're saving it for the 2007/8 launch of the next GameBoy...

FriScho

jarrod said:
PSP SP? Maybe they're saving it for the 2007/8 launch of the next GameBoy...

Then I prefer to wait until then. I think the NDS screens suck and the PSP ist not a real portable (size, unprotected screen ...)

Marconelly said:
The deal is that the top screen is tilted on that photo.
I didn't think it was tilted that much... but it does make more sense than changing the screen size and hoping we don't notice.

Original image.
dsj1.jpg

Attempt at straightening.
dsj2.jpg

Stretched to make the screen 4:3.
dsj3.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime

So the chat is included ?

Deg

Banned
Jacobi said:
"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime

Who knows?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jacobi said:

I'd imagine so. Nintendo has taken pretty much every other suggestion made to them about the DS to heart, and Nintendo wanted to include it themselves if I remember correctly. Gotta hear some confirmation on this, though. Maybe we'll get an update on IGNPocket tonight or something.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I didn't think it was tilted that much... but it does make more sense than changing the screen size and hoping we don't notice.

Original image.
dsj1.jpg

Attempt at straightening.
dsj2.jpg

Stretched to make the screen 4:3.
dsj3.jpg

The DS screens are the same size as GBA screens. They're not 4:3, they're slightly wider than that.

God I hope so, it really needs to be included to be useful at all.

StrikerObi said:
The DS screens are the same size as GBA screens. They're not 4:3, they're slightly wider than that.

Actually, DS screens are slightly larger than GBA screens. Barely though, at least from what I could tell.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder if retailers are going to make us buy bundles in November. With the timing of release and the scarcity of details about games, I'm afraid there's good potential for a "Tickle Me Elmo" type situation.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wario64 said:
One for me, two for others

Is one of those others me? :p

I haven't even pre-ordered mine yet, I didn't really care that much up handhelds until the PSP and DS showed up. Of course I had a Gameboy and played the classic like Link's Awakening and Pokemon, but never really got into it.

Where did you get the DS pre-order?
Was the projected msrp around $179.99?
Did they also have the PSP for pre-order?

Guileless said:
I wonder if retailers are going to make us buy bundles in November. With the timing of release and the scarcity of details about games, I'm afraid there's good potential for a "Tickle Me Elmo" type situation.

Quite possibly. EBgames did a superb job of trying to force everybody to buy bullshit junk when the Gamecube and GBA first came out.

StrikerObi said:
JasoNsider said:
Actually, DS screens are slightly larger than GBA screens. Barely though, at least from what I could tell.
They're slightly larger. GBA is 240x160 (3:2) and ~2.9" diagonal. DS is 256x192 (4:3) and ~3" diagonal. I'm guessing it's actually a few tenths more diagonal, and the pixel density of the screens are the same.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I just checked EBGames.com. You can preorder a DS for $199.99 now, and they have the release date as 11/28. They also have about 20 games listed, but each one has a release date of 3/5/05. No bundles yet.

Top Bottom