• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS, who's there for launch?

There no question I'll be getting it. I'm just not sure if I need it at launch. What with so many games coming in the next 3 weeks and all. Just in case I have put $20 down on my pre-order but it could easily go to MP2E or MPT in the next two weeks :)

So, who's getting their DS at or near launch and what games are you getting? I'm looking at Super Mario 64 DS and Spider-man 2 so far.

Soul4ger

I'll be getting it, with Super Mario 64 and Feel the Magic. I'll also get Mr. Driller when it comes out in December, too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mr. Driller isn't a launch title anymore?? :\

I'm getting a DS, Mario 64, Ridge Racer, and Feel The Magic so far. I'm also going to get Mr. Driller (didn't reserve it like the others), and possibly Spider-Man 2, but Mario should keep me plenty busy in the platforming department. I'll most likely be paying for all this through trade-ins (I have about 60 GBA games; it's time for most of them to go)

I'm definitely importing Sawaru! Made In Wario for the Japanese DS launch, don't know enough about the other import games yet. As exctited as I am for the DS, I'm MUCH more excited about the PSP and will definitely be importing one in December, provided that there isn't TOO much of a price hike (there definitely will be)

What's the best place to go to for info on all the DS games?

Sullichin

Everyone has AIDS

Getting it launch day. Reserved at my Planet X (it's just a Gamestop with a different name), $25 down.

Getting Mario 64 DS on launch, with the following for Christmas hopefully:

Tiger Woods
Feel The Magic
Mr. Driller
Spiderman 2

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got the DS and Mario preordered. If something else catches my eye, I might get that too.

explodet

I'm in for the unit, although I haven't decided on what games to get until DS Wars arrives. Maybe Mr. Driller.

SantaC

Actually I am not sure...I might wait to december for NDS. I want to buy another wavebird and 4-5 games including minish cap. Can't afford it in november.

Lyte Edge

Minish Cap isn't coming out in the U.S. this year, right?

EDIT: 1/10/2005 for the States. Don't know if it's going to be worth importing with so many other games to play.

Lyte Edge said:
Minish Cap isn't coming out in the U.S. this year, right?

EDIT: 1/10/2005 for the States. Don't know if it's going to be worth importing with so many other games to play.
don't import. the us version is supposed to have "extras"... whatever that means

mCACGj

I'll be there at launch...but I havent preordered any games yet. Will most likely be a last minute decision with money being very scarce.

elly-raising-hand.jpg

Andy787

Banned
I've put $70 down on a DS, Mario 64 and Feel the Magic are definites, might look at Spiderman 2 and Ridge Racer, too.

hooo

boooy
ImNotLikeThem said:
don't import. the us version is supposed to have "extras"... whatever that means

Probably something that's unlocked when you play it on a DS like the Oracle games have for the gba.

Xellos

Preordered with Mario and Rayman; might add Feel the Magic too. I'm pretty excited about the DS and its '05 lineup. Hopefully devs will take full advantage of the dual screens and touch control.

Lyte Edge

Rayman is a launch title?

Can someone tell me what all the confirmed launch titles are? I thought it was only a select few titles.

Mejilan

Yeah, I thought Rayman wasn't a launch title either. I mean, we don't even know if it is an original game or a port!

I'll be there at launch definitely. I've got my DS down $40 and I plan on picking up SM64DS as well. Too bad FFI+II couldn't release a week earlier, but that's the next game I'll be getting hopefully. Money is scarce for me too though, so I can't be sure.

Sullichin

"Launch Window"

November 15: Feel the Magic: XY/XX - $29.99 (Sega)
November 16: Spider-Man 2 - $39.99 (Activision)
November 17: Asphalt: Urban GT - $29.99 (Ubisoft/Gameloft)
November 17: Madden NFL 2005 - $39.99 (EA Sports)
November 17: The Urbz: Sims in the City - $29.99 (EA Games)
November 21: Super Mario 64 DS - $29.99 (Nintendo)
November 30: Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits - $29.99 (Namco)
December 7: Ping Pals - $29.99 (THQ)
December 7: Ridge Racer DS - $29.99 (Namco)
December 7: Sprung - $29.99 (Ubisoft)
December 14: Rayman DS - $29.99 (Ubisoft)
December 14: Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf - $39.99 (EA Sports)
December 16: Zoo Keeper - $39.99 (Ignition)

Xellos

Soul4ger said:
According to EB's site, Rayman isn't scheduled to hit stores until mid-December.

Really? Rats. It said 11-21 when I preordered it. Oh well, as long as it turns out OK.

If Rayman DS does turn out to be a port of Rayman 2 it'll be a good measuring stick for DS's 3D capabilities (not to mention one of the best 3D platformers out there; Rayman 2 rocks!). Hope Ubi keeps the gibberish for this Rayman and ditches the actors they tried for Rayman 3.

Nester

Sullichin said:
"Launch Window"

November 15: Feel the Magic: XY/XX - $29.99 (Sega)
November 16: Spider-Man 2 - $39.99 (Activision)
November 21: Super Mario 64 DS - $29.99 (Nintendo)

This was my launch purchase, but Spiderman 2 at $39.99? I may just wait on that one then.

neptunes

I might sit this one out to maybe december or janurary. (<- most likely)

None of the launch game impress me, and I won't find time to play it anyway.

Lyte Edge

Damn, Ridge Racer's not a launch title? :\

Looks like I'll be getting Asphalt GT unless the reviews say it's bad. Probably going to pick up Spider-Man 2 now as well.

WordofGod

Banned
Buying two DS's. One for my wife and the other for me. My mother-in-law is buying two DS's for Christmas presents for her two of her grandkids. November Games?

245933.jpg

245939.jpg

245935.jpg

Mejilan

Xellos said:
If Rayman DS does turn out to be a port of Rayman 2 it'll be a good measuring stick for DS's 3D capabilities (not to mention one of the best 3D platformers out there; Rayman 2 rocks!). Hope Ubi keeps the gibberish for this Rayman and ditches the actors they tried for Rayman 3.

I suppose that depends on whether it is based on the N64, PSOne, DC, or PS2 version of Rayman 2, assuming it is a port.

Sullichin

924893_20041007_screen001.jpg

The only screen released thus far, as far as I know... can anyone identify this level (as it being in Rayman 2, 3, etc?)

Alcibiades

Last time, I got a GCN and Monkey Ball at launch, in spite of Sega's weird decisions regarding pulling GCN support, I think the only game I'm going to get (if I get a DS at launch, while I probably will at Best Buy) is Feel the Magic, I still want to support Sega and their weirdo non-traditional games...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Regarding Metroid Hunters from IGN:
The game is SO MUCH MORE PLAYABLE with the Thumb Strap. Yes, you heard that right. The game is awkward to play using the stylus since you have to support the system entirely with the same hand that's manipulating five of the control buttons.

But when you actually get the Thumb Strap on and slide the plastic bit with the tip of your thumb, the game controls much more naturally with very little discomfort. I will say that your thumb will wear out from overuse, but not nearly as much as your entire left or right hand would by playing using the stylus. Playing with the Thumb Strap has completely changed my opinion on Metroid Prime Hunters and first person shooters in general on the Nintendo DS, because the control is so much better using it.

Wow, I initially had a hard time thinking of how the thumb strap would help in the control department, but the pictures cleared that up completely. No more holding the DS with one hand... Looking good!

Chony

I am waiting outside of Target with my friend so that we can get it early as possible, 7 am. We are both getting DS's + Super Mario 64x4.

Xellos

Regarding the screenshot, it's from Rayman 2, but I think it was shown to be a mockup using a gameplay shot from the DC version (if it actually is the DS version I'd be impressed; the IQ is very nice compared to other DS games). Still, considering Ubi had Rayman 1 ready for GBA launch and considering that this shot is from Rayman 2, it's fair to assume that the game will be a port.

Mejilan said:
I suppose that depends on whether it is based on the N64, PSOne, DC, or PS2 version of Rayman 2, assuming it is a port.

It'll be interesting to see where the DS version fits among the different versions of the game.

The N64 (+ram pack) and DC versions were basically the same thing. The DC one had better image quality and framerate and slightly tighter control, but in terms of content, gameplay, and level design they were 99% the same (N64 had a cooler hub world, DC got one or two extra areas).

The PS2 version was reworked a bit, and wound up being worse than even the N64 version IMO. The framerate was horribly inconsistant, the gibberish was removed, and a crappy power-up shopping system was added IIRC. Never played the PSone version.

neptunes

how Ironic, they beleive playing with an analog stick substitute is more enjoyable than using the stylus.... FOR AN FPS!!!

Does that say something? :lol

neptunes said:

Wow, the unit really is quite small, each flap seems to be the size of the GBA. Sure doesn't look "big and clunky" any more to my eyes. The DS really needed a lot more perspective shots. Very nice.

Top Bottom